Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It's my understanding that MOST dropped hitches are from user error. The 2 biggest reasons that I've read about are:

A) High-hitching where the pin ends up being too high. The latch closes, but the pin isn't really grabbed. I think this is more prevalent on some hitch types than others (e.g. draw bars).

B) A break down in process (e.g. missing a step or doing things out of order) - missing a step like forgetting to latch the arm. Or doing things out of order - like unhitching before lowering the landing gear.

That all said- (I've never used these devices) I personally don't like what I have read and imagined to Butch's hitch saver device - my problem is generally that I sometimes turn into a space cadet (I moved the fiver with my between-the-wheel chocks still in place once). I don't like that I actually have to do something with Butch's hitch saver. I want it to always be engaged in case I fluck up.

It's my understanding that the Blue Ox Bedsaver is just that- it's always engaged and only catches the pin if you drop that FW. Though, I think it's close to $300 vs. Butch's bed saver which is way less.

Just my $0.02 from reading forums.

Doug
Thanks for clearing that up. I had always assumed that was the case. I have a Curt 16k drawbar hitch, that I've been thinking of changing out for either a Curt 20k with jaws that fully wrap the pin, or an Air Safe with the Valley head. I have a little play in the head and a little in the rail pins. The clunks are driving me crazy. I'm working on rail/pin design that should solve that issue, but the hitch will require replacement for what I want.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #22
Denver, CO

I have dropped mine ONCE. It's very scary. Fortunately it dropped onto the super glide rails and caught at the end so I stopped. After I cleaned my pants and quit shaking, I hooked it up again, with no problem.

In retrospect, I had been relying on the sound of the latch up and was not actually tugging on the bar nor visually inspecting the latch itself. Not any more. The safety is a good idea, but a diligent attention to the hookup prevents any problems.

My son dropped a jet ski double once when the hitch sat on top of the ball. The jets skiis went down the hill into a ditch, jumped the trailer and took out some small trees in the national forest. They were Yamaha's and survived fine except for a bit of cracked gel coat on the bow... Whew. Must of been a comical sight, with 3 20ish year olds fragging a couple of jetskiis up a hill through a forest.

Carelessness can cause problems with ANY tow situation or any rig for that matter. If there are actual mechanical issues with 5er's that make them inferior to a tag trailer, I would be surprised. IMHO. once you have pulled a 5er the tag trailers seem to be primitive and dangerous, unless u have a pull right or such tha timitaes a 5th wheel.

Bob
Old 02-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #23

I installed a Butch's Services hitch latch kit about a year ago. Never dropped my 5er but heard it happen in the space next to me once and the resulting damage to the truck bed wasn't pretty.

I bought it with the thought of "cheap insurance" because it adds a step to the hitching process and keeps me from being careless.
rjwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Thanks - I have a Husky 16 ks and his site doesn't really show a picture of the kit installed on that model. It does say the kit can be installed on the Husky. Guess i will call him.

Does the kit come with the required drill bit?
I have the same hitch and have dropped my fiver. I am 99.9% it was my fault. I do not know exactly what happened, but I believe I high-hitched it. I left out one step being I was in a hurry. My wife wants to make sure it was not any chance of it happening again. To calm her fears I will get the hitch latch kit.

I contacted Butch concerning this hitch and the model OP 14-25 will fit it. The pictures show that a drill bit comes with it.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #25
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
I'm curious, how does one actually drop a a fifth wheel? Is it user error or a mechanical failure? With the hitch I have now(draw bar), it's possible to drop a fifth, it's either closed or open. There is no mistaking it. I'm upgrading hitch, but is there that much uncertainty of whether the hitch is closed or not, that you have to add additional equipment for safety?
I posted this in another thread regarding a different bed saver device, but will repeat it here.

In Yuma, AZ several years ago kids were going through the various shopping center parking lots pulling the handles on 5th wheel hitches. The owner would get back in their vehicle, and BAM!

Of course there would be nothing to prevent them from also pulling the rod out of the Latch Kit, but I would imagine that they would not want to linger that long.

When this happened, I started putting a "lock" on my latching device. At the time it was a RBW hitch, and I enlarged the hole where the safety pin went through the clevis pin to hold the arm, and then used a small lock in place of the safety pin.

RodeoGeorge
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #26

Syencer,
I'd just give Butch a call with your make and model maybe a photo. He'll tell you what you need.

Ttrost65,
Agreed, in a perfect word all hitches close securely every time no worries. In my world it only took a handful of onlookers to distract me out of my routine and BAM I" dropped" the trailer on the bed of the pickup because the hitch hadn't closed securely. It wasn't a good day!

Nev
NevadaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #27

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
I understand concept, but still wonder if its a user error or a malfunction of a jaw type hitch. There is no doubt in a draw bar hitch being fully engaged. But there is play in the hitch, and is the reason for my upgrade. I just want to know if there is a mechanical flaw inherent with these hitches or if its a human error problem. If its human error in not checking whether hitch is locked, how would you remember to close a bar on a safety device? If its a design flaw, maybe I should engineer a new hitch.
It's user error more then anything else. I have a BD-3 Hensley and I was setting up in a park and had to move my 5er about 2 feet for the electric cord to reach and I backed under it again and and raised my front jacks enough to clear the pads and moved forward....the truck moved forward and the 5er dropped down. My expensive error for not doing a physical visual on the jaws. It's possible to do that on any hitch so I learned the hard way to look into the jaws and make sure the jaws are completely around the pin. I drove a semi for 30 years and even with one of them it's a good look to make sure the hook-up is secure is a good idea.
So answer to your question..yep driver error.

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsthetwoofus View Post
It's user error more then anything else. I have a BD-3 Hensley and I was setting up in a park and had to move my 5er about 2 feet for the electric cord to reach and I backed under it again and and raised my front jacks enough to clear the pads and moved forward....the truck moved forward and the 5er dropped down. My expensive error for not doing a physical visual on the jaws. It's possible to do that on any hitch so I learned the hard way to look into the jaws and make sure the jaws are completely around the pin. I drove a semi for 30 years and even with one of them it's a good look to make sure the hook-up is secure is a good idea.
So answer to your question..yep driver error.
I've been religious on checking and double checking everything when hitching up. My routine involves doing everything that is necessary, getting everyone in the truck and buckled in, then, before I put the truck in drive I get out check hitch, walk around, check doors, lights, antenna, make sure nothing is left behind, check hitch, get in truck and pull out. EVERYONE knows not to bother me with questions or problems while I'm in the middle of doing my initial hitch. Thus, I'm not concerned about human error, but was concerned if jaw hitches gave a false indication of being latched, even if checked.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #29
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by syencer View Post
am not sure if that would bolt onto mine or not
This is the same one we have as well. You can visually see the jaws wrapped around it.
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #30
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
My wife wants to make sure it was not any chance of it happening again. To calm her fears I will get the hitch latch kit.
Unless you get something that requires no input to protect you, you haven't done anything to guarantee that it won't happen again. IMO, this Butch's kit doesn't do that. It's an extra step that if you do that, THEN you'll be protected. If you forget (because something obviously buggered your procedure), you're just as likely to forget this step.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #31
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
This is the same one we have as well. You can visually see the jaws wrapped around it.
How do you like yours, I had problems at first trying to get the jaws to lock around the pin but once I figured out whatn I was doing wrong I love it!!!
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #32

I Built my own
Old 02-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #33
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by syencer View Post

How do you like yours, I had problems at first trying to get the jaws to lock around the pin but once I figured out whatn I was doing wrong I love it!!!
We love the Curt Q20!!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #34

I agree with all that distraction while hooking up can cause errors. DW walks behind me doing the final check (antenna, steps, door handle, etc.) and has caught me at times. My practice when hitching the 5th is once I back into the hitch and before I even get out of the truck, I try to pull out of the hitch. With the landing gear still down it's not going to drop on the bed. Mind you, I don't try to rip the hitch out of the truck, but I do put enough that will pull out if it's not latched. Final check it to go out and look at the latch and then raise the landing gear. And as previously suggested, I put a lock on the clip that holds the handle in the locked position.

Rod
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #35
William

I'm still confused as to the issue with dropping the trailer. I understand that it is most likely 100% user error. In my process, hooking up is THE most important step before pulling out. Once I back my pin into the 5th wheel at the proper height, I manually close the jaws and visually inspect the jaws. Then I let the weight down onto the 5th wheel. I then visually check the jaws again. I do another visual check prior to departing. I would suspect if you are not doing this, then adding an additional step into the process will not aid in preventing dropping the trailer onto the bed rails.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #36
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Every now and accidents happen and I hope they never will with me as I always check everything twice before I move my truck
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #37

I can see the merits of that bedsaver device. All it takes is one time. I'm interested if it will fit on my Curt Q20 too!
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #38
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Unless you get something that requires no input to protect you, you haven't done anything to guarantee that it won't happen again. IMO, this Butch's kit doesn't do that. It's an extra step that if you do that, THEN you'll be protected. If you forget (because something obviously buggered your procedure), you're just as likely to forget this step.

You are correct - that is why I have and strongly recommend that everyone have and use a checklist when preparing to move, hitch/unhitch their RV.

I know a lot of us say we have/use a checklist and I hope we all do. It may look funny to be carrying around a piece of paper when we prepare to move our RV. But checklists do work - ask any pilot if you don't think they do.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #39

RattleNsmoke;

Best would probably be to send a photo and your hitch data to Butch's and he'll tell you what you need to do to get one to work on your application.

Nev
NevadaM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel