Old 02-24-2020, 03:02 PM   #21

I have a Husky aluminum 5er gate used on my 2015 & 2016 Ford. Sadly it will not fit the 2019. Anyone close to Myrtle Beach I’ll give a good deal. It does lock. A camera is possible for $40 I’m told but never had the need. Will have one on the new truck soon
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:47 PM   #22

I've been leaving my tailgate at home when camping. Now I'm wondering if I am the only one doing this?
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Dumb question.

Donít you loose the reverse camera with those?

Mine is in the tailgate!

The DW would not be pleased!
I simply purchased a camera that mounts on the license plate with its two screws. Works perfectly
Old 02-24-2020, 05:41 PM   #24

I'd never give up the tailgate workbench/bar.
BigRockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:17 PM   #25

I have one with a place for an oem camera. Canít recall the brand but can go look if necessary. I just ordered the oem camera and tailgate wiring harness and full factory back up camera works I. The tailgate.

Problem is, now I have a Chevy! Lol. The ram tailgate and camera is no good to me now.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:03 AM   #26

I have one

One thing you have to keep in mind is that a louvered tailgate will let a lot of water get inside the bed when traveling. That being said, I also have a tonneau cover when not towing my fifth wheel. So with a full tailgate I wouldn't get water and my cargo stays more dry. With a tonneau cover, you still get a little leakage but for the most part things stay dryer with a full tailgate!
TGO Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:56 PM   #27

eBay Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Fantastic! I bet there is someone out there looking for that exact tailgate!
List it on eBay Cars, as "local pickup only." Easy way to sell it without having to ship it.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Currently, about a third of our RV friends have fifth wheel tailgates. We had one about three trucks ago. The only advantage for me was I didn't have to get out and open the tailgate when going to hook up, as I rarely remember to do it before I get into the truck
But I did miss the tailgate when looking for something to sit on, or a flat work space to work on, at the farm, bird hunting, the races, etc.
Otherwise, not enough advantages for me, so I just keep my regular tailgate now.
I do agree they do not provide any measurable mpg advantage. And our friends with fiver tailgates all have older trucks. The ones with newer ones aren't willing to have to redo the camera.
How many miles are on the 07 duramax?
Old 03-02-2020, 07:43 PM   #29

In a pinch you can use it for a cooking grate on the camp fire...
mrfikser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:11 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by capemayal View Post
I have a custom flow tailgate custom flow does have a adapter to put your backup camera in. Just remove your camera from the truck, mount it into the accessory, plug it back into the truck. If you want, also, you can buy a camera for your truck OEM or aftermarket as long as it fits the wiring, and use that.
I like my custom flow, has a v cover/insert, camera will mount to it and it lets very little water in when bed cover is on. Not to mention it locks securely and is made of galvanized steel and powder coated. Pricey and worth it!

https://www.carid.com/2017-ford-f-25...183313383.html
mwheue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:25 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynn78us View Post
How many miles are on the 07 duramax?
165k. And your 05? I love my Duramax!
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:36 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Dumb question.

Donít you loose the reverse camera with those?

Mine is in the tailgate!

The DW would not be pleased!
Tailgate camera is useless on a 5th wheel set up anyways, if you want a camera to have any value put it up on the back of your truck cab. Yes I know that is not the original intention for a backup camera but it would would truly be Nic when your hitching, I also wish there was a switch to activate it when going forward, you know to use it when you do a hitch test before you take off.
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipatroller View Post
Tailgate camera is useless on a 5th wheel set up anyways
Sure, a tailgate camera is useless when hooking up to and/or pulling a 5th wheel, but what about backing up at the lumber yard or when you're backing into the garage or parking next to a wall?

My aftermarket rear view monitor system ($149) came with two cameras, one is mounted to the back of the 5er and the other is "portable" - I bought a cheap trailer wiring harness from the auto parts store and tied the camera into it. It plugs into the 4 pin adapter on the truck and I put the camera on the tri-fold tonneau (sp?) cover so that I don't have to remove the rear center headrest when hooking up (I can't see over it). This leaves the DW out of the equation (better for all involved).

The harness is also long enough to set the portable camera on the ground so that if I have a flat on the trailer I can watch the good wheel pull up on the ramp and I can stop in time. This also leaves the DW out of the equation (once again, good for all involved).

Without the 5th wheel on, I really like the tailgate cam for day to day.
PatrickY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:40 PM   #34

Quote:
165k. And your 05? I love my Duramax!
Iím almost to 190k
Old 03-03-2020, 09:01 AM   #35

go for the throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Lots of people buy these AFTER they destroy the stock tailgate from a OPPS! You will be ahead of the game by replacing now! Youroo!!
OK OK I`m guilty. Only excuse is it was dark when I was backing up to the fifth wheel, but that`s no excuse is it. It does not take much to cave in your tailgate and a replacement painted was like $2000.00. Of course, I had only Liability insurance on the truck cause it was paid off and things like this only happens to other people. So when I bought my current truck the tailgate came off and a nice Louvered one went on before I towed with it for the first time. Buy one it`s cheap insurance for a mistake you might make.
Andersen Ultimate on pucks, TrailAir Pin Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors.... smooth ride
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:33 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHGTO View Post
OK OK I`m guilty. Only excuse is it was dark when I was backing up to the fifth wheel, but that`s no excuse is it. It does not take much to cave in your tailgate and a replacement painted was like $2000.00. Of course, I had only Liability insurance on the truck cause it was paid off and things like this only happens to other people. So when I bought my current truck the tailgate came off and a nice Louvered one went on before I towed with it for the first time. Buy one it`s cheap insurance for a mistake you might make.
What's really bad is when you have fifth wheel tailgate, and still catch the kingpin on it. Had a friend do this. We still give him hell about it
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:24 PM   #37

Auto Leveling

My Fifth wheel has auto leveling and most of the time if not all the time, it has leveled my fifth wheel lower than the fifth wheel hitch itself so If I have to get out of my truck to set the height of the pin so it will slide onto the fifth wheel hitch, Then I might as well drop the tail gate as long as I'm back there.
TGO Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel