Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2018, 11:06 AM   #21
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

To the original poster...

How brand new is "brand new"?

You might still be under warranty and if so I suggest you call Forest River ASAP with your Vin# and get them on board!

Don't call your dealership first...

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Whiskey View Post
Are those "E" rated tires? I have "E" rated also, as do lots of people here. If you have them at 80 PSI as indicated on the tire (check it out). Then when they heat up they are obviously above that. That is bad for the tire and can cause a very rough ride and just maybe bad handling issues? Just a thought.

80 psi max cold takes in account of psi rise as temp rises . so 80 means 80 not guess what it will be when warm
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:36 PM   #23

So guys I just got back from a trip, I bolted the hitch back solid and pulled the wedge from the lippert turning point hitch. Pulled like a totally different rig, pulled like a 5th wheel should pull! It was also very windy on the way home. So with the new tires and alignment, repairing the hanger brackets for axel and now this hitch issue. I talked to one other guy who had same issue that I was having bolting his hitch back solid worked for him as well. I have a slider hitch in pickup so I really didn’t need that turning point hitch. I’m hopeing I can start useing this thing without white knuckle driving. Any body else use the turning point?
Scott687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:46 AM   #24

I am wondering if the bolts that hold the pivot tube in are too loose
I use a Reese Sidewinder and there are 4 bolts that hold the pivot tube to the part of the pinbox that mounts to the frame. They needed to be torqued to the correct specs , for the sidewinder they said start at 150# and do that twice then back them out and just to 40#

not usre if is a similar set up but maybe it was to loose
eurojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:54 AM   #25

I would get rid of your hitch and get a new TrailAir hitch , this will eliminate your problem IMHO
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:20 AM   #26

I find the sidewinder type hitches get blamed for a lot of things as most folks just can't get their minds around how they actually work, and/or don't set the wedge up correctly. That's okay, mine works fantastically.

Truth is, we will never know the cause of the OPs sway as he made big changes in several areas.

Glad his sway is gone, just wish we really knew why.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:33 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurojet View Post
I am wondering if the bolts that hold the pivot tube in are too loose
I use a Reese Sidewinder and there are 4 bolts that hold the pivot tube to the part of the pinbox that mounts to the frame. They needed to be torqued to the correct specs , for the sidewinder they said start at 150# and do that twice then back them out and just to 40#

not usre if is a similar set up but maybe it was to loose
Those four bolts on the top of the turrets main purpose is to keep the turret from falling out when you unhitch. Some folks can turn their hitch by hand easily, some won't budge. Tightness of the swivel has no affect on sway. At least that's what the engineers who designed it explained to me. I had several long conversations with them when I was setting my hitch up the first time. I've had a sidewinder on two fivers for a total of ten years. I believe it is an amazing product that fully addresses the common problems of fifth wheels and 6.5' beds.

The OP has the revolution type that doesn't have the four bolts on the top of the turret. They have the one castellated nut on the bottom. Different design of the same function.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:18 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott687 View Post
So guys I just got back from a trip, I bolted the hitch back solid and pulled the wedge from the lippert turning point hitch. Pulled like a totally different rig, pulled like a 5th wheel should pull! It was also very windy on the way home. So with the new tires and alignment, repairing the hanger brackets for axel and now this hitch issue. I talked to one other guy who had same issue that I was having bolting his hitch back solid worked for him as well. I have a slider hitch in pickup so I really didn’t need that turning point hitch. I’m hopeing I can start useing this thing without white knuckle driving. Any body else use the turning point?
Did you take photos? I just looked up this hitch in more detail. . And the install looks epic important And curious if the installers left you all the bolts.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #29
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I find the sidewinder type hitches get blamed for a lot of things as most folks just can't get their minds around how they actually work, and/or don't set the wedge up correctly. That's okay, mine works fantastically.

Truth is, we will never know the cause of the OPs sway as he made big changes in several areas.

Glad his sway is gone, just wish we really knew why.
I agree Scott and it will be interesting to see what the OP's tire wear is now. Remember, they indicated they wore out a set of tires on their initial 10 day pull.

I also know you and many others (including my sister and brother in law) are using the Sidewinder/Revolution successfully. The Andersen seems to get a bad rap too. Folks just have a hard time getting past traditional pin boxes and hitches.

I've posted this before...
My 8529IKBS has the Revolution and I figured since I have it, why not try it when we first got the 5th wheel. I have a slider hitch that has been in 4 trucks and have never had to slide it but I thought I'd try the Revolution.

I never noticed a difference in towing (or trailing) but I did have a few issues hitching with both the universal wedge and the custom wedge for my hitch. They weren't HUGE hassles but hassles I don't have by bolting it back solid and using it that way.

I hope this solves the OP's issue and I hope after several pulls they report back with the findings.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, sway, wheel