Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2018, 10:46 PM   #1

5th Wheel Swaying

I seen a post on here a couple months ago with similar problem and similar 5th wheel but can’t find it now I have became member. Anyway I have a brand new Arctic wolf 295qsl8 with the Lippert turning point hitch. first trip with it 50 miles into it we had a very bad sway going 65mph, I slowed and got it to stop continue on our trip and it continue to sway at every rough part of the road we finally slowed to 50 and finished that trip. Next trip was to Minnesota for my daughters surgery we were to be up there 10 days. Got on interstate and within 5 miles it started swaying so bad it pushed us of the road before I was able to get it to stop, after we gathered ourself we headed back out same thing happened a few more times. Finally I had enough and turned around dropped it at home and went up without camper. Cost us a bunch of extra money haveing to eat out every day and staying in motel, not to mention a very upset daughter not having all of her things along. When I got home and was able to look at things I found all the tires were wore horribly bad, looking closer found one of the hanger brackets were welded on very crooked. So I bought new maxxis tires had them balanced also had the hanger cut off and new one put on and had the thing aligned. After all that we took off the other day thinking all is well, same thing still swaying it seems to do it worse if we hit rough spots in the road or passing big rigs. I’m at a loss here and have a brand new fifth wheel that is not safe and we can’t use. Of course forest river has never heard of any issues like this. I’m starting to think it could be the turning point hitch? Tow rig is 2012 f250 6.7. Previous rig was a 40ft toy hauler and pulled like a dream. I did hook it to another pickup to be sure and it acted same way with other pickup. Sorry for long post but I’m at a loss here. Thanks
Scott687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:20 PM   #2

There are a lot of us that use sidewinder/revolution/turning point hitches with no problems. I don't see how the hitch could introduce sway when properly set up.

I'm assuming you are using the correct wedge for your hitch and have it adjusted for proper fit.

One suggestion to eliminate possible causes of sway is to remove the wedge and use bolts to lock the hitch so it doesn't swivel and acts like a standard king pin box.

There are several reasons for sway. For sway as dangerous as you describe, I would find a trusted shop and have them help diagnose.

Good luck!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:31 AM   #3

Looks like your trailer gross weight is around 11,000 lbs? If so your TV is not over loaded at all. The things I would check are:

Position of pin relative to rear axle of truck.

Tire inflation on TV and trailer.

Weight of trailer make sure you are not overloaded.

Weight on pin of trailer make sure it is around 15% of trailer weight.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #4

Also too much weight on the rear of the trailer will cause sway....GL
Old 09-12-2018, 11:01 AM   #5

If this is the same TV previously used for a 40' toy hauler, it shouldn't be the problem, although I recommend you max psi on the rear axle tires, make sure your shocks are good, and check for a loose sway bar, if any. Otherwise I think mwdilday and bobsue nailed it. The pin should be directly over the axle, or at most, one inch forward. Also get weighed to determine total FW weight and pin weight. If you're less than 15% on the pin too much weight is on the back end and you need to move stuff around, if you can. If it's not your loaded stuff, I would take your weights to the mfgr. I know nothing about your hitch.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #6

I'm curious about the weight too. I wonder if the axle is too far forward.

Water tank full or empty when you had issues? Or half filled?

Dirty tanks? I assume those were empty?

Tanks in general assuming they are in front of trailer axle?

Have you checked the bolts holding the 5th wheel onto the trailer?

Wonder if there are broken or missed welds inside the trailer.

I think a video would be awesome to see And should help narrow this down.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:48 PM   #7

My guess would be that the new fifth wheel is sitting nose high. Biggest cause of sway with a fifth wheel.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Any photos of your setup?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:05 PM   #9

Welcome from Georgia, BTW. Nose high and/or too much weight in the rear, or tire issues would be on my short list.

'17 Coachmen Chaparral
'17 Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Retired & Full Timer
KI4OVB
68 Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:39 PM   #10

I will get some picture of the set up this weekend, I did try to fill the fresh water tank last trip couldn’t really tell much difference. It does sit perfect level. I also have checked every place I could get to for cracks or broken welds. It looks to me like forest river has the axels too far farward, doesn’t seem like there is a whole lot of tounge weight. I would like to find somebody else with the same model and compare a few things, I went 600 miles for mine and can’t find dealer around here that has one. Thanks all for the help!
Old 09-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #11

Also the new maxxis tires I just put on are all at 80lbs.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:51 PM   #12

Also the maxxis tires I just put on are all at 80lbs.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:46 AM   #13

Are those "E" rated tires? I have "E" rated also, as do lots of people here. If you have them at 80 PSI as indicated on the tire (check it out). Then when they heat up they are obviously above that. That is bad for the tire and can cause a very rough ride and just maybe bad handling issues? Just a thought.

'17 Coachmen Chaparral
'17 Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Retired & Full Timer
KI4OVB
68 Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Whiskey View Post
Are those "E" rated tires? I have "E" rated also, as do lots of people here. If you have them at 80 PSI as indicated on the tire (check it out). Then when they heat up they are obviously above that. That is bad for the tire and can cause a very rough ride and just maybe bad handling issues? Just a thought.
The 80 psi is COLD max psi. It takes account for psi gained during tire warm up. Most folks I know run their trailer tires at Max COLD psi indicated on the tire. Get your facts straight.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
The 80 psi is COLD max psi. It takes account for psi gained during tire warm up. Most folks I know run their trailer tires at Max COLD psi indicated on the tire. Get your facts straight.
I agree 80 might be a but much for the trailer weight as I think it weights about 11k.. but 80 cold per sidewall is perfectly ok tire manufacture has already taken heat into consideration.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
X2!
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:59 AM   #17
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
I agree 80 might be a but much for the trailer weight as I think it weights about 11k.. but 80 cold per sidewall is perfectly ok tire manufacture has already taken heat into consideration.
80 psi is NOT too much air pressure for an 11,000 pound RV.

My 5'ver loaded is just under 9,900 pounds and 80 psi on my 'E' rated tires is perfect!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:00 PM   #18
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

To the OP...

Does your 5'ver have the rear kitchen?

If so that puts a whole lot of weight on the back end of your trailer.

Especially if you have a second gray tank dedicated to that rear kitchen.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:20 PM   #19

Did you check if the Axles are aligned?
They may be welded to the chassis completely off and one against the other and that would cause fast wear on the tires and instability on the rig.
Since you already had to correct a hanger bracket, I bet the axles are off....
Also check the bearings to see if there is any play in the wheels....

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:54 AM   #20
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You need to get that 5th wheel to a reputable alignment shop.

If you wore out all the tires on just your very first trip, something is drastically wrong.

Best of luck to you getting this resolved.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, sway, wheel