Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2021, 04:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
Do you/did you own one?
What truck was dented?
I only have 4.5 inches of space between my bed sides and the camper.
I also turn the ball socket 180 to suck the camper in tighter. I can’t quit go 90 degrees but I can go every bit of 85. I have never come close to breaking a window.

My 350 is a 15 model, so it’s prior to aluminum body/bed. No dents.
But is that the difference?
See post #2. Both are close friends with older trucks (no aluminium), one Ram, one Chevy.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 04:26 PM   #22

WAY up there. ^^^^
Don’t know what to tell you. Your experience is not the norm.
I highly recommend the Andersen.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
See post #2. Both are close friends with older trucks (no aluminium), one Ram, one Chevy.
It is very important to follow the install instructions. With full weight of the trailer on the hitch you need to loosen the 2 smaller bolts then tighten the larger bolt. Then tighten the 2 smaller bolts again. If you don't loosen the small bolts the hitch will not be drawn down tight to the bed of the truck.
wvcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:10 PM   #24

Since you are considering a B&W just spend a bit more and get the slider. Then you can slide it if you feel you need it.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcampers View Post
It is very important to follow the install instructions. With full weight of the trailer on the hitch you need to loosen the 2 smaller bolts then tighten the larger bolt. Then tighten the 2 smaller bolts again. If you don't loosen the small bolts the hitch will not be drawn down tight to the bed of the truck.
Yep, we all read and did that. Glad it works better for you
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
This picture is of my 6.5' bed with a B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch. I have never had any cab clearance problems.

In an effort to make the remove/install process easier, I did purchase an Andersen hitch to replace the B&W a few years back. I'm one of the few who returned it however. I liked pretty much everything about my B&W better... other than the weight.
Is that the arvika bike rack? How do you like it?
wayne272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Since you are considering a B&W just spend a bit more and get the slider. Then you can slide it if you feel you need it.
I need to be able to remove it myself to use the bed. The b&w at least separates into two manageable pieces. No way I could remove a slider
Waffen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:58 PM   #28

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne272 View Post
Is that the arvika bike rack? How do you like it?

It's a home built/DIY that was inspired by the Arvika. I created a thread about it a few years back...

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ine-65575.html
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:21 PM   #29

We currently use the Pullrite Superlite 2400. It's like the Andersen Superhitch but the connections are reversed with he ball on the trailer dropping into a cup on the bed. Made more sense than the Andersen

Now switching to the Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder. With our shortbed Ram the setback with the Superlite was not enough to allow a tight turn and the trailer was too high in front when connected (could not drop the connection any lower). Did a lot of research before buying the Sidewinder, including reading discussions like this on other sites. Got a couple of buddies coming over next weekend to help me install it.
TandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:49 PM   #30

We’ve had issues with sharp turns with our 5er and short box. We were told we needed and extender hitch with air bags due to the chucking we got with our new trailer. Their set up was way too much money. We bought an Anderson extended hitch. Chucking solved and sharp turns are easy. Price was way less than half. We love it. Fast and easy to install and take out. After going through 3 different hitches Anderson’ is the best by a mile.
GmaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 12:17 AM   #31

Sorry, but I just snatched part of my post in another thread to post here as felt it is relevant to this thread too.

As far as a hitch for my short bed, I have the Demco Auto-slider. It works well. After having for about a year and half, a small screw backed out and caused the top neoprene to get out of kilter and the screw gouged the slider tubing while on a trip. The company stood behind it 100% and sent the parts to the repair shop next day and paid for the labor too. 6 months later found another problem and they promptly sent me the replacement part. It is heavy and costs more than others. One thing I like is there is no requirement for a capture plate on the king pin and when I make a turn it will slide back roughly 14 inches (I believe). I do take it in/out and have a hitch hoist (crane) to help with handling it. With the under bed mounting system it clears the bed when hitch is out. Here is a link to the one I have - https://www.demco-products.com/rv-to...nder-bed-mount

Good luck, enjoy and be safe

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:45 AM   #32

Appreciate everyone's insight so far. I should of mentioned in my first post I have to be able to easily remove it to use the bed during the week. A slider is way too heavy, the demco is over 250 lbs. I dont have anyone to help me lift it, also park on a gravel driveway with no garage so a engine hoist or lift wont work. Looks like an andersen is the best bet unless a b&w somehow will work
Waffen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:52 AM   #33
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

I posted a video back up in this thread of my Andersen set up. If you do decide to go with a heavier hitch you might be interested in this https://www.harborfreight.com/pickup...ity-60732.html
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:08 AM   #34
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffen06 View Post
Appreciate everyone's insight so far. I should of mentioned in my first post I have to be able to easily remove it to use the bed during the week. A slider is way too heavy, the demco is over 250 lbs. I dont have anyone to help me lift it, also park on a gravel driveway with no garage so a engine hoist or lift wont work. Looks like an andersen is the best bet unless a b&w somehow will work
My brother has the Andersen, I have a B&W. We both can turn and maneuver about the same.

Only difference is mine is a slightly easier hitching process. I don't have to raise the front high enough to clear the ball/coupler and I can easily see to slide the pin into the hitch. I just raise the front of the 5th wheel enough to slide onto the plate and once it has slid in and latched, I can do a pull test without ever having to get out of the truck before lowering. He has to have someone spotting to get close for the 'funnel' to get him on the ball and then get out of the truck and lower the 5th wheel to latch to the ball.

We both have high mount, rear cameras in the truck for those who will say get a camera. My camera view works well because I only need to line up the centerline. He needs to align the centerline and then would benefit from a side view camera to get the fore/aft position. I have seen mods to do just that.

If you need LIGHTWEIGHT ease of removal, the Andersen wins there.
I can have my puck mounted B&W uncoupled from the truck as quickly as he can loosen bolts on his Andersen but there is no doubt the B&W is way heavier. It does come apart into two pieces by pulling two pins.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:00 PM   #35

I have a Curt A16 puck mount in Ford F-250 6 and half ft bed. Towed a Flagstaff with Reese Revolution and a Grand Design Reflection with the Turning Point. Never came close to the cab.
Kwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:12 PM   #36

Give Reese a call and find out if they are making a Rhino compatible swivel mount for the Sidewinder. Apparently the only difference are where the holes are. They may even have something that can be used that just requires some holes to be drilled for it to work.

From everything I read here, the Sidewinder with a Curt a20 would be your best bet. The Curt weighs 130 pounds total and can be split into two parts for easy removal. The Sidewinder would give all the clearance you need.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:53 PM   #37

I have a 2021 Silverado 3500 SRW with 6’10” bed. I use the B&W companion hitch mounted on the factory puck system. The Chevy/B&W combination system gives you two options, for the king pin location, 3.5” or 1.5” behind the axle. I use the 3.5” location. Trailer travels well and have not had any turning issues. Don’t need the slider hitch and would only consider a B&W hitch.

2016 PT Crusader 335BHS
2015 Chevy 2500 Diesel High Country
Lskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:28 PM   #38

I have a 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE (about 34' long) with my 2018 Chev Duramax 2500HD short box bed with a B&W Patriot hitch. The Silverback has sculpted front nose corners, but I've never had a close call when backing or cornering. All work great and it pulls like a dream. I really like the B&W!!!

My previous set up was a 2002 Chev Duramax 2500HD short box with a 16K Huskey slider hitch with a 2001 Cardinal 5th wheel. I NEVER used the slider feature in the 12 years pulling that trailer. I pulled that trailer all over the country, to NASCAR races, music festivals, and had a difficult parking situation at my former house. No use or need of the slider anytime.

I think people overdo the short box issue. Maybe their positioning of the hitch or their trailer nose is unusually large, but I've never had any problems with my short box.
Parrothead Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:59 PM   #39

Fitting a hitch to a truck and fiver is not easy.

I found dimensional drawings except from Anderson lacking.

None of the rotating systems are intended for the ball hitch. In the instructions. That rotating Anderson hitch is. Likely the issue.

My CC Hathaway, 2018, is sort of square in front. I have enough room to go nearly 90 degrees with a Ram shortbed. You should never go that far as it damages suspension and tires.

Because I knew of the design philosophy changes in hitch heights I have over the 6” recommended clearance with the bed sides. Old fifth wheel designs are intended for pre 2005 trucks. 4” of clearance and nose high is a recipe for dents.

People with properly set up systems love the Anderson. I do.

It does not fit all situations.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:35 PM   #40

Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffen06 View Post
I need to be able to remove it myself to use the bed. The b&w at least separates into two manageable pieces. No way I could remove a slider
We have had regular pickup box beds on all of our pickups, but everyone has had a long box. So with this last pickup, I wanted a flatbed so I put one on it. Smartest move I've ever made as far as pulling 5th wheels is concerned. The short box needs don't have the problem of the back of the pickup box coming up and hitting the underside of the overhang when going over an abrupt rise. With the flatbed, we don't have that problem. We just have a simple inexpensive Reese hitch which comes apart in two pieces. I just take a pin out which separates the two pieces then remove 4 bolts and walla, it's off with the bed totally flat and usable. There's plenty of room ahead of the 5th wheel hitch for putting stuff on it and we can do 90 degree turns all day with no problems. We have a big tool box on each side for all the stuff needed for emergencies. Love it and will never go back to a regular box.
mixerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, bed, wheel