Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2021, 06:54 AM   #1

A Better Demonstration of Weight Distribution

I haven’t seen this particular video posted here before, but I have seen one video posted here many times that shows how weight distribution impacts sway.

This video is much more comprehensive than the video we all have seen here over and over and it is extremely informative. Take a look:

https://youtu.be/JeEEC5eVNCk

Bruce
Old 08-22-2021, 08:26 AM   #2

That is a very good video, I like how they show that even a trailer with proper balance can be unstable if the weights are at the ends instead of near the middle.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:40 AM   #3

I love the fact they demonstrated you can have the trailer out weigh the tow car 3 to 1 yet the tail will not wag the dog if loaded properly. Makes me think all the voices you hear about tails wagging the dog are from folks who do not load a trailer properly, instead buy a heavier tow vehicle to mask the problem.

Safe travels
Old 08-22-2021, 09:03 AM   #4

I would say informative, I do wonder the effect of the out of scale hitch on the car as it looked as if hooked to the axle, then on the Jeep the trailer a frame looked really long. In this video and the one similar seen several times before I always wonder what the absence of weight ( no walls fridge doors furniture ect) has on the test as both car and trailer lack weight except the one they move. Finally I wonder about the teather does it keep it from getting worse or does the yanking it back to the middle multiple the effect instead. Just question from uneducated
Old 08-22-2021, 01:24 PM   #5

Excellent video

This video should be required viewing complete with a test at the end before anybody leaves a dealership with a trailer.
Richy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 03:02 PM   #6

Excellent training aid!!! Thanks for sharing. A picture, or in this case, a vidoe, truly is worth a thousand words.
I did notice that one TV is blue, and the other is orange. Does this apply to TVs of all colors? Sorry, sarcasm button now turned off.😁😁😁😁
Rugman1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 03:53 PM   #7

To interpret...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
I would say informative, I do wonder the effect of the out of scale hitch on the car as it looked as if hooked to the axle, then on the Jeep the trailer a frame looked really long. In this video and the one similar seen several times before I always wonder what the absence of weight ( no walls fridge doors furniture ect) has on the test as both car and trailer lack weight except the one they move. Finally I wonder about the teather does it keep it from getting worse or does the yanking it back to the middle multiple the effect instead. Just question from uneducated
As I understood the narrator, the tether is unrealistic in that it prevents the tow vehicle from being yanked around. If it weren't there, the combination would have gone off the road and "inverted."

The tether is necessary, of course, for the simulation. Otherwise you would need a really long, flat course, and if you wanted to change weights in the middle of the experiment you would have to run after the experiment.

I've got a belt sander with a pretty long platform. I was thinking about putting on a real fine-grade belt and re-doing these experiments. The belt swings from horizontal to vertical so I could do the uphill (and maybe downhill) experiments too.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
I love the fact they demonstrated you can have the trailer out weigh the tow car 3 to 1 yet the tail will not wag the dog if loaded properly. Makes me think all the voices you hear about tails wagging the dog are from folks who do not load a trailer properly, instead buy a heavier tow vehicle to mask the problem.

Safe travels
In noticed that too.. however did you catch the British Guy's comment... right after the demonstration he quickly mentioned that in the UK it is recommnded that the tow vehicle way at least, preferbaly more than the Caravan (trailer).

I laughed... imagine what size truck you would need for the massive 25k lb+ toy haulers many are pulling around the US.
Old 08-23-2021, 04:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
did you catch the British Guy's comment... right after the demonstration he quickly mentioned that in the UK it is recommnded that the tow vehicle way at least, preferbaly more than the Caravan (trailer).

I laughed... imagine what size truck you would need for the massive 25k lb+ toy haulers many are pulling around the US.
The difference between tow vehicles in the UK and in North America is, you can’t readily procure tow vehicles in the UK with the long wheel bases and dual rear wheels available to us in North America. This is where engineered tow capacity and payload come into play.

Bruce

Tags
weight