Old 02-16-2020, 01:27 PM   #1

A couple ?s re: flat tow jeep behind 5th wheel

I have seen this a couple times on the road, but never had a chance to chat with the owners. We are considering purchasing a Jeep Wrangler, to use as an everyday vehicle and would rather flat tow on travel days. What considerations must be made?

I understand not all States/Provinces allow this, and with a 43í 5er we could have issues being over length. I would need to find a shop willing and able to install whatever is required on the 5er for the anchor point, and wiring. Finally, this would bring me to about 5800 pounds under my trucks GCWR.

Thank you.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:21 PM   #2

Nobody?

Old 02-20-2020, 06:00 PM   #3

You might want to run this question through a Wrangler forum too.
With half the states prohibiting triple tows, length restrictions, drivers license restrictions and the physics involved, it could be why you don't see this set up very often. This could be why you aren't getting much action here.
If I was contemplating this, I would put the Jeep on a trailer. Better yet, haul the Jeep in a toy hauler. My 2 cents.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...flat-tow.4797/
Old 02-20-2020, 06:05 PM   #4

My question is the towing strength of the 5 th wheel. Is it really rated for towing that weight.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:40 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

I've often wondered how you have brakes on a camper double towing.. You can't do it in PA but if we did allow it, you'd need brakes on the jeep.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:01 AM   #6

Good ideas, thank you.

I had thought the jeep to add very little weight to the trailer (basically towbar weight) but had not considered the added stress to the 5th wheel hitch. The jeep may be riding on its own axles, but it is still pulling/pushing the main hitch on every hill, etc.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:37 AM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

I'd be more concerned for the trailer frame being up for the extra stress. A long time ago, there was a poster who was all proud of his home built swivel wheel "trailer" for carrying a golf cart... only to come back like 6 months later complaining that Sabre denied his frame failure. Impossible to say that one caused the other, but the coincidence is uncanny.

But, you're right - people seem to be doing it successfully. I have friends who are setup to flat tow their car with their Space Craft toy hauler; but it's a 45' rig on a custom semi-trailer chassis.

I think if I were to do it, I would do a couple of things:
  • Have someone examine the frame and make reinforcements through the entire length of it
  • Figure out brakes for the Jeep and how that works
  • Figure out lighting for the Jeep
  • Take it for a test tow and have someone follow with video recording to be examined later
  • Regularly examine the frame and all attachment points while in use

Truthfully, I'd love to do something similar. I'd love a little runabout play car.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:40 AM   #8

First you would need a commercial truck driver license with a doubles endorsement. Same as the big 18 wheelers. Then you would need a braking system for the Jeep. Then a proper design for the trailer frame and hitch. Then get it qualified through DOT for on highway use. Then a 5th wheel and truck rated for the trailer +Jeep weight. Then someone to insure it. I've heard of some people towing a light fishing boat this way. But a jeep seems a bit much.
I'd consider a bumper pull trailer behind the Jeep when I needed the jeep.
PeteFuller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, jeep, wheel