Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #121
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I'm an engineer and I've done static and dynamic calculations. If you're telling me that the engineers don't design the vehicle brakes to handle the "dynamic weight" associated with the "static" weight that they put on their plaque (actually, in this case, it would be mass, speed and thus momentum), or design the frame, axles, etc to handle the "dynamic weight" at legal highway speeds, then I throw the BS flag.

What you're calling the "dynamic weight" is inherent in the static value they give you. They don't need to give you any "dynamic weight." The average vehicle owner would not know what to do with it. (Heck, half the people don't understand simple "weight.")

You don't see bridge limits that say "10 tons - but only 8 tons if you think you might hit a bump on the bridge."

As a crane operator, you may have to had to deal with something like "dynamic weight," (I'm guessing it has to do with the load swinging from the cable) but your average vehicle owner can't be expected to do that. It has to be built-in and it is.
One more time and I shouldn't waist my time. I never said anything about engineering. I just stated what the little plack represents. No wonder most y'all fuss at each other on these forums.
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:25 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
One more time and I shouldn't waist my time. I never said anything about engineering. I just stated what the little plack represents. No wonder most y'all fuss at each other on these forums.
And you ended your blurb saying the plaque is "misleading fo sho." Now you've implied that people shouldn't read/use/trust the plaque.

It's not misleading. To use your words, it tells you the "static weight" that the engineers have determined you can safely tow at legal speeds, when it becomes "dynamic weight."

How is that "misleading?"

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:09 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Towing capacity and max load capacity are two very different things.
Perhaps, but interdependent and certainly not mutually exclusive. In general, the more pounds in your truck's payload, the lighter your towed vehicle should be. Which is why I like Polks formula. Manufactures embellish towing capacity, acting like each vehicle is driven by a 150 pound person sans passengers and equipment.
Crbacsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:44 PM   #124
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
And you ended your blurb saying the plaque is "misleading fo sho." Now you've implied that people shouldn't read/use/trust the plaque.

It's not misleading. To use your words, it tells you the "static weight" that the engineers have determined you can safely tow at legal speeds, when it becomes "dynamic weight."

How is that "misleading?"
I did not say the static placks are misleading. I stated a lot of information on this forum pertaining to pick ups and trailers are misleading. If you are gonna try and match wits with me get your info straight. I'm done babe. It's just you and judge judy
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:37 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
I did not say the static placks are misleading. I stated a lot of information on this forum pertaining to pick ups and trailers are misleading. If you are gonna try and match wits with me get your info straight. I'm done babe. It's just you and judge judy
Guess I'll take the high road on this one.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:40 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Trailer weight rating are a major marketing point. MFG's each had their own ways of determining how much weight their vehicles can tow, but there was no testing standard for all of them to follow. The SAE J2807 test is suppose to help standardize the test. But I think it's a suggestion not a requirement. The SAE test is all about how fast a truck will launch at given conditions. And maintaining a speed on a grade etc... It doesn't address wind resistance. Nothing about durability is another of my biggest want-to-knows. The SAE J2807 has only been around for about a year anyway. I guess one should ask the dealer if the truck meets SAE J2807, prepare for a blank stare. ha

Toyotas been following the standard since 2011
flighht2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:14 PM   #127

Take your max tow weight and times it by .75, this is the MAX you should be pulling. At at least this is what I have found.
Heypapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:29 PM   #128
Coachman 312BHDS

Ford's towing folks disagreed with that when I asked them specifically what the numbers mean based on the certification testing. If you throw out a number or a percentage - please base it on facts that have been tested and released as documentation by the manufacturer or certifying agency. There is too much garbage on this forum.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:38 PM   #129

Well now let's see: I'm definitely not an engineer but I'm very technically savvy. I follow established procedures, policy, and specifications because people much smarter than me have documentation to support their position. The max weights for the TV and tow rigs are established and documented so I don't need to guess or be concerned if I'm overloaded and I can be sure I'm running well within my load limits. When I change TV or change rigs I use the weight programs and charts to make sure I'm going to be within my weight specs for my tow combination.

The weight police and lawyers are out there and I know as long as I meet the legal limits if I have an issue I'm confident that my insurance coverage will support me.

You can chose to turn a blind eye to max weights and just take off without having any problems but maybe not. I can assure you if you have an accident that hurt's someone with a over weight plated tow combination you'll be supporting another group of people for a long long time.
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:11 AM   #130
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Wow! This thread has been heating up since 2011. BTW does anybody know where you can get your rig weighed individually at each wheel. I want to make sure I am not overloaded left to right. I know Escapees does it in Livingston Texas but its far off the beaten path and kinda inconvenient.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:18 AM   #131
Crusin81

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
And I have yet to see any manufacturer specify traiiler length limit due to wheelbase.
Seems odd considering there are so many theoretical towing experts on the forums.
LENGTH IS A STATE TO STATE CONCERN. Every state, for sure California has a max length you can drive down any state interstate legally (65') AND PEOPLE HAVE BEEN PULLED OVER AND SITED for being to long. Vehicle manufacture concern are on payload, (GVW)
- needed power train
- suspension
- BRAKES

I AM SURE SOMEONE WILL CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG, Vehicle manufactures only insure they fall within federal and / state requirements when building vehicles. they will spend as little as possible and charge as much as possible. unless you have a reliable dealer you work with, they will tell you what you want to hear to get that truck off the lot. this is why you need to do some thorough research before jumping in. if not it could get very expensive quickly. I hope this was some help to you.
2014 sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:22 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heypapa View Post
Take your max tow weight and times it by .75, this is the MAX you should be pulling. At at least this is what I have found.
X2 great advice
BigLou80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:39 AM   #133
Crusin81

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
Wow! This thread has been heating up since 2011. BTW does anybody know where you can get your rig weighed individually at each wheel. I want to make sure I am not overloaded left to right. I know Escapees does it in Livingston Texas but its far off the beaten path and kinda inconvenient.
Just a thought;
3 types of places come to mind for weighing
1) Rental companies
2) U-Haul?
3) spot check sites Highway Patrol

I am in California and don't really know any place in Texas by name. But I hope this can give you some ideas.

If you want drive on full vehicle scales you may be able to contact a recycle center. hope this helps
2014 sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:06 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbln930 View Post
Ford's towing folks disagreed with that when I asked them specifically what the numbers mean based on the certification testing. If you throw out a number or a percentage - please base it on facts that have been tested and released as documentation by the manufacturer or certifying agency. There is too much garbage on this foruxm.
OK look, yes the truck will tow what the engineers say. Happily? No. If you want constant downshifting and inevitable transmission problems by all means go ahead and load her down to the max rating. I have been pulling campers for twenty years. Owned 7 diesel trucks and many gasses. Been around the block when it comes to pulling. I currently own a 2016 RAM 3500 6.7 Cummins.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:14 PM   #135

Well if you want to listen to the engineers go for it. Those ratings are pushed to the max to compete with other manufacturers. If you want a lagging Motor, never nding downshifting and inevitable transmission problems by all means load her down! I been pulling trailers heavy trailers for over twenty years. Owned 7 diesel trucks and many gassers. I'm not new to this. I currently own a 2016 RAM Laramie 3500 6.7 Cummins.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:37 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heypapa View Post
Well if you want to listen to the engineers go for it. Those ratings are pushed to the max to compete with other manufacturers. If you want a lagging Motor, never nding downshifting and inevitable transmission problems by all means load her down! I been pulling trailers heavy trailers for over twenty years. Owned 7 diesel trucks and many gassers. I'm not new to this. I currently own a 2016 RAM Laramie 3500 6.7 Cummins.
Watched a guy with a brand new TV and TT arrive at Mercer PA from near Pittsburgh. TV at near max nice trans cooler and the trans still fried fluid. That was a few years ago and have not seen him since. I prefer some cushion in all numbers but that is just me and you.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #137

It's just like anything else, if you have a truck that weight 1.9 tons do you buy a two ton Jack? No you buy a 3 or four ton Jack.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #138

Sorry for the miss spell cooking dinner! Lol
Old 11-02-2016, 07:17 PM   #139
Coachman 312BHDS

There are forums full of diesel F350s with problems towing. I guess you mean smaller trucks will have more problems???

2012 F350 tranny slipping when towing 5er - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Vibration on takeoff when towing - Page 14 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Old 11-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbln930 View Post
There are forums full of diesel F350s with problems towing. I guess you mean smaller trucks will have more problems???

2012 F350 tranny slipping when towing 5er - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Vibration on takeoff when towing - Page 14 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
No, I simply stated take your the gross vehicle tow rating and calculate 75% of that number. Makes for a happier me, happier truck and happier pocket book with fewer repairs and tow fees.