Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2017, 02:04 PM   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.jimbo View Post
For those out there who may have taken offense to my mention of the "If you have spent time in the USA, you know that we have a high concentration of tort lawyers that are ready to file suit with any potential problem. ". Just to be clear, I wasn't referring to ALL lawyers, just the class of lawyers who fit in that category.

We will have to start a separate thread to comment on how many lawyers are in each class. I'm sure the opinions vary....even among the lawyers.

With that in mind, remember that my point was that the ambulance-chasing-scum-sucking-bottom-feeding-rat-faced lawyers are the ones that keep the auto manufacturers honest. Without them, we wouldn't be able to trust the auto manufacturers, now would we?
Touchee!
Marhyman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:39 PM   #262

The ambulance-chasing-scum-sucking-bottom-feeding-rat-faced lawyers have just about made every Mom and Pop business unable to pay the insurance to protect themselves against the ambulance-chasing-scum-sucking-bottom-feeding-rat-faced lawyers. Not to mention the extremely high cost of medical malpractice insurance, Home owners policies, uninsured motorist etc etc...

As mentioned some of it is legit and good. But so much of the suits are frivolous. The ambulance-chasing-scum-sucking-bottom-feeding-rat-faced lawyers take advantage of the injured person even when it's legit collecting 40% of the settlement. What a joke.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:07 PM   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
The ambulance-chasing-scum-sucking-bottom-feeding-rat-faced lawyers have just about made every Mom and Pop business unable to pay the insurance to protect themselves against the ambulance-chasing-scum-sucking-bottom-feeding-rat-faced lawyers. Not to mention the extremely high cost of medical malpractice insurance, Home owners policies, uninsured motorist etc etc...

As mentioned some of it is legit and good. But so much of the suits are frivolous. The ambulance-chasing-scum-sucking-bottom-feeding-rat-faced lawyers take advantage of the injured person even when it's legit collecting 40% of the settlement. What a joke.

Tell us how you really feel. 😂😂😂
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:14 PM   #264

I'm not in this scuffle, but speaking of blood suckers...what about the insurance costs...I pay more in insurance than I do on a house payment and utilities combined. That is sad.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:01 AM   #265

sadiemarie,
be sure to check the ford towing guide for the f150 specs (search online). They vary widely across the various configurations (engine/2dr/crew/supercrew/short/long bed and so on). As others have mentioned be sure to look at the door sticker for the payload on the truck to ensure you have enough capacity.

I haven't found a salesman that understands the various configurations, although at least most of them will admit it (congrats if yours does). The service mgrs seem generally to know, if you can find one to talk to. The 8500 +/- is at the low end of the V8 towing capability. I'd recommend upping that if you can swing it. It is always better to have more capability. It is also likely that configuration will be at the lower end of the payload (carrying) capacity for the F150s. Check the door sticker (repetition intended).

I am doing well towing a roo 21SS (6100 gvw) with a 2016 supercrew 4X4 with the ecoboost engine. It also gives me about 24mpg for work commuting. It has the max tow package supposedly giving a max trailer weight of 11K, (I added the OEM brake controller myself, and the payload is 1849 (it works for me but you might want to look into the various payload packages to increase that). I HIGHLY recommend the larger gas tank (36gal). It gives me about 800 mi between commuting refills and about 350 when towing the roo (will find out for sure this summer when we head West).

Enjoy your trailer.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:56 AM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I'm not in this scuffle, but speaking of blood suckers...what about the insurance costs...I pay more in insurance than I do on a house payment and utilities combined. That is sad.
Agree, I'm not in the scuffle either, insurance is out of sight. ridiculous.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:09 PM   #267

Want to know which engine to buy?
Ask the guys that fix them.

5.0L all day.

https://youtu.be/9nUCx5IQZro
Old 07-16-2017, 06:56 PM   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.jimbo View Post
Camping season has begun. I know this for a fact because I am getting more emails asking me the most popular question on this forum. The question is, “Will my <insert specific tow vehicle here> be able to tow my new <insert specific camper here>?"

I suppose it is a good thing that members of this forum are doing their best to research this, because it is a significant question that must be answered, and answered correctly. But I believe I speak for a lot of the members of this forum when I say, “I can’t answer that question for you.”

Please don’t think that I am rude or that I don’t care. In fact the exact opposite is true. Rather, I am giving you very friendly advice and I do care about you. Therefore, I am writing this post.

In fact, I have found that there is only one expert on this entire forum which is even remotely qualified to answer that question, and I strongly suggest you only expect a reliable answer to that question from this one member. That member is you.

You are the only one that has a good grasp on your specific driving skill, your budget, your risk tolerance, the trailer you are purchasing, and the true capability of your vehicle. Therefore might I suggest you do the following research before you make your decision: Obtain the towing guide for your vehicle, and read it cover to cover.

Every vehicle that is capable of towing something has a towing guide, and vice versa. I have been able to find them by searching the manufacturer’s website. Make sure the guide is specific to your model year. Just because the 2010 model looks almost identical to the 2002 model does not mean it can tow the same.

Unless you want to be a test driver--or what is sometimes referred to a crash-test dummy--I highly recommend that you comply with the limits specified with-in the manufacturers towing guides.

I trust these guides for two reasons:
  1. If you have spent time in the USA, you know that we have a high concentration of tort lawyers that are ready to file suit with any potential problem. Just like you and me, the auto manufactures do not like to talk to plaintiff lawyers either. Therefore, they have published their towing guides to make it clear what their vehicles are capable of towing, and the precautions you should take while doing so.
  2. Because of #1, the auto manufacturers cannot afford to publish lies in print with their company logo on it. Therefore, they need to test their vehicles to verify they can truly tow what they say they can.
I live in Colorado, and by my estimation Colorado is second only to Michigan for automobile testing. The auto manufacturers love to bring their camouflaged test vehicles up to the I-70 corridor for high-altitude grade-A Rocky-Mountain road testing.
When they bring their next-generation tow vehicles here for testing, they hitch them to a contraption that looks a-lot like a flat-bed trailer full of iron weights and a solid wall at the front of the trailer to simulate wind drag. Then they parade these vehicles up and down the 6-7% grades of I-70 stopping only to buy gas, and fuel the drivers up on fast-food and gas-station fare. They go to all this trouble, because they want to know the question to a very important question before they give the answer to us, “Is it safe to tow with this vehicle?”
They then take their data back to where ever they came from and use it as a basis to publish their towing guide.
Once you have the guide in hand, study it, review it, read the specs on your trailer, do the math, and make sure you trust your conclusions. If you are confused about anything in these guides, bring your specific questions to this forum, we are happy to give you our experience. However, be careful not to go beyond the capabilities of your vehicle specified in this guide; that is territory where only test drivers belong.

One last thing--and it almost goes without saying--if you have a friend who tells you that you can tow your camper with your tow vehicle, and that friend is the same guy you bought your camper from, be skeptical.....very skeptical.

In the end, thoughtful and careful research from reliable sources is the only thing that separates a savvy consumer from a crash-test dummy.

Camp on!
I've run all the numbers but my 2011 1500 5.3 ltr Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 with a 3.42 rear end still struggles greatly to haul my 4879 lb (dry) up a 6% grade here in Arizona when the tow rating is 9600 lbs. I know my trailer can't weigh over 7000 lbs loaded to the hilt. I can't imagine trying 9600 lbs. I've already toasted 1 transmission hauling this trailer. I don't know how they can publish 9600 lbs.
bwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #269
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinkle View Post
I've run all the numbers but my 2011 1500 5.3 ltr Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 with a 3.42 rear end still struggles greatly to haul my 4879 lb (dry) up a 6% grade here in Arizona when the tow rating is 9600 lbs. I know my trailer can't weigh over 7000 lbs loaded to the hilt. I can't imagine trying 9600 lbs. I've already toasted 1 transmission hauling this trailer. I don't know how they can publish 9600 lbs.
Is it possible you missed the part about "Properly Equipped" and "with a 150 pound driver and a full tank of gas" (and NOTHING else)?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:05 PM   #270

Quote:
No one ever said it wouldn't struggle. They just said it would pull it!

One reason I got a 2500, although still a gasser - I'm actually more worried about coming DOWN that 6% grade!! My 1500 had rear drum brakes!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:22 PM   #271

Quote:
I had a 2013 2 wheel drive with the same engine and transmission and I totally agree with you. Within a mile after I pulled out of the RV dealer with my RV, I new I'd be shopping for a 2500 diesel the next day. 9000 tow limit on this truck is a joke.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:55 PM   #272

I'm properly equipped....that's the number GM gives me when you give them the vin#....and I considered my weight in calculating the 7000 lbs.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:58 PM   #273
Site Team

Those towing capacity numbers are not done with full height TT.
They're done with a flat trailer or boat, neither having the air resistance of a TT or 5th wheel.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:04 PM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
They're done with a flat trailer or boat, neither having the air resistance of a TT or 5th wheel.
Yes, which I think is probably more significant than the weight it self. As someone said, it's like pulling a parachute down the road.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:07 PM   #275

Freedom is what drives American's to pick and choose what they sole desire to tow right! A no brainier! Great conversation post by the way!
Old 07-16-2017, 09:07 PM   #276

Also, if you are comfortable with the transmission jacking backing forth from 3rd to 6th gear then you'll probably get where you are going but I can tow that way. Short of a steep mountain grade etc.. I want the truck to stay in one gear. That's what I like so much about the standard tranny on my last RAM.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:33 PM   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I totally understand that but I'm only hauling 6000 lbs. I managed the 6% grade....I just didn't like the 241° trans temp (with a cooler) here in Arizona or the 230° water temp. Too hard on the truck. ..even now that I've put a hill killer transmission in the truck with Kevlar plates the trailer is on the selling block.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:39 PM   #278

Quote:
I totally understand that but I'm only hauling 6000 lbs. I managed the 6% grade....I just didn't like the 241° trans temp (with a cooler) here in Arizona or the 230° water temp. Too hard on the truck. ..even now that I've put a hill killer transmission in the truck with Kevlar plates the trailer is on the selling block.
Zowie, I would of sold the truck
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:50 PM   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I did, the next day. The problem with the chevy is 3rd gear doesn't have a torque converter lockup so transmission heat gets out of control on steep grades below 4th gear which in that truck is a steep overpass.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:02 PM   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
not after putting a $5400 transmission in it