Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2017, 02:47 PM   #1

Acadia towing package

I am looking at a 2017 gmc Acadia to tow my 213hw a frame (3k lb). The Acadia doesn't have the factory tow package. The dealership says they can add it, but I don't feel like it is the same as coming from the factory with it. From the factory, it has a 5k lb rating. Our primary tv is a gmc sierra.
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:04 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

The dealer is going to slap a hitch and tail light wires on that Acadia.

Better to buy one with it factory installed.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #3

It this day and age there is far more to a towing package then what a dealer can slap on
The stability programing in the computer is diffrent I don't know I f they have a tow haul switch
But then you add the extra coolers many have larger trans and eng oil coolers some even add add power steering cooler to the tow package
Plus some vehcile can't even be upgrade because of the actual trans used

I have no actual dealings with the arcadia but these are a few thins possible on any vehcile
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:55 PM   #4

Thanks. That is what I thought. I think I am going to hold out for a factory tow package.
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #5
Sham183

Do some looking around for one with the package already on. I would not have them add it in when really it is a cheaper option to buy it already installed. You will save yourself the hassle in the long run. I have a 2010 Traverse with the tow package and it took me all of about 1-2 days more of research and about 20 minutes extra driving time to find what I was looking for. You could also see if the dealer can locate you one with the options you need. If you plan on towing with it who knows if you will upgrade to a bigger TT in a few years. Things and ideas change so take your time and research and see what else is out there.
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:41 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkjr72 View Post
It this day and age there is far more to a towing package then what a dealer can slap on
The stability programing in the computer is diffrent I don't know I f they have a tow haul switch
But then you add the extra coolers many have larger trans and eng oil coolers some even add add power steering cooler to the tow package
Plus some vehcile can't even be upgrade because of the actual trans used

I have no actual dealings with the arcadia but these are a few thins possible on any vehcile
The factory install has a tow/haul mode button.
We have an 2016 Acadia AWD with factory tow option.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:02 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttimerstraint View Post
From the factory, it has a 5k lb rating. Our primary tv is a gmc sierra.
yep, that 5000lbs tow rating is ONLY with the factory tow package.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:55 PM   #8

We have a 2017 Acadia with the tow package and it does have the tow/haul mode and that is the way to go. The dealer we bought from wanted us to take a unit that they had in stock but there were very specific things that I wanted so they searched other dealers and found what I was looking for and made whatever deal they make between themselves and got it.
BTW we love our Acadia.
clhjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:26 PM   #9

What are you towing with your 2010 Traverse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopwr4me2003 View Post
Do some looking around for one with the package already on. I would not have them add it in when really it is a cheaper option to buy it already installed. You will save yourself the hassle in the long run. I have a 2010 Traverse with the tow package and it took me all of about 1-2 days more of research and about 20 minutes extra driving time to find what I was looking for. You could also see if the dealer can locate you one with the options you need. If you plan on towing with it who knows if you will upgrade to a bigger TT in a few years. Things and ideas change so take your time and research and see what else is out there.
Hi, I'm looking at a 2010 19' Rockwood Roo (GVWR is 4639lbs ) and my tow vehicle is the same as yours a 2010 Chevy Traverse with factory installed towing package, just wondered what trailer model are you towing and how does it handle with the Traverse?
amacgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:23 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by amacgyver View Post
Hi, I'm looking at a 2010 19' Rockwood Roo (GVWR is 4639lbs ) and my tow vehicle is the same as yours a 2010 Chevy Traverse with factory installed towing package, just wondered what trailer model are you towing and how does it handle with the Traverse?
Big difference between the OP towing a low profile A-frame and you wanting to tow a full height TT.
You would be fighting the air resistance of pulling a barn door through the air.
That takes torque, which vehicles like yours, don't have much of.

I wouldn't want to tow it in the mountains with a Traverse.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:30 PM   #11
Sham183

Quote:

I have a 2017 shamrock 183. As far as how it handles it is pretty good. I have just the standard load tires on it and I plan on upgrading to a XL rated tire. Gives me a little stiffer sidewall. I have thought of going to a LT but I still need to research a little more on that. I need to know what the wheel itself can handle for air pressure and plus I don’t want a harsh ride. I do get a little wiggle with cross winds but nothing that is out of hand or uncontrollable. I have talked with Blue ox a few times and tire rack about this wiggle if you will and both point mainly to the tires. So that is where I am going to start. The Trailer tracks behind me well. I have had my wife follow me a few times just to see if there is more going on than what I am feeling and she says it looks fine. My set up with the Blue OX is on the 10th link and I feel good while pulling it. The TT loaded is at 4560 lbs and combined loaded we are at 9840. So we are under weight by a few hundred pounds. We are going to upgrade vehicles probably in 2 years or so but for the time and distances we will be traveling I’m happy with the setup.

On another note I know some people may freak out over this or have their 2 pennies worth to say which is fine but please don’t start throwing numbers at me with all the weights and all the stuff. I’ve done my research and asked all my questions and got good advice from people on here so what’s done is done. [emoji16]

With that being said I probably forgot a few things regarding your question so feel free to ask if I did.

Tim
Old 10-26-2017, 04:32 PM   #12
Sham183

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Big difference between the OP towing a low profile A-frame and you wanting to tow a full height TT.
You would be fighting the air resistance of pulling a barn door through the air.
That takes torque, which vehicles like yours, don't have much of.

I wouldn't want to tow it in the mountains with a Traverse.

[emoji106] I would definitely agree with this. Here is Wisconsin it’s not to bad but no way in heck would I do mountain towing with either 19 or 183 with the traverse.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopwr4me2003 View Post
I have a 2017 shamrock 183. As far as how it handles it is pretty good. I have just the standard load tires on it and I plan on upgrading to a XL rated tire. Gives me a little stiffer sidewall. I have thought of going to a LT but I still need to research a little more on that. I need to know what the wheel itself can handle for air pressure and plus I don’t want a harsh ride. I do get a little wiggle with cross winds but nothing that is out of hand or uncontrollable. I have talked with Blue ox a few times and tire rack about this wiggle if you will and both point mainly to the tires. So that is where I am going to start. The Trailer tracks behind me well. I have had my wife follow me a few times just to see if there is more going on than what I am feeling and she says it looks fine. My set up with the Blue OX is on the 10th link and I feel good while pulling it. The TT loaded is at 4560 lbs and combined loaded we are at 9840. So we are under weight by a few hundred pounds. We are going to upgrade vehicles probably in 2 years or so but for the time and distances we will be traveling I’m happy with the setup.

On another note I know some people may freak out over this or have their 2 pennies worth to say which is fine but please don’t start throwing numbers at me with all the weights and all the stuff. I’ve done my research and asked all my questions and got good advice from people on here so what’s done is done. [emoji16]

With that being said I probably forgot a few things regarding your question so feel free to ask if I did.

Tim
Thanks for the response Tim, That experience helps me a lot. In your travels have you gone over any mountain terrain or some steep incline and declines with your set-up and if so how did the traverse handle then?

Thanks again for your experience, It gives me confidence my setup will work for my needs too.

Cheers,

Duncan
amacgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:24 PM   #14
Sham183

Quote:
Thanks for the response Tim, That experience helps me a lot. In your travels have you gone over any mountain terrain or some steep incline and declines with your set-up and if so how did the traverse handle then?

Thanks again for your experience, It gives me confidence my setup will work for my needs too.

Cheers,

Duncan

No I have not had any mountain terrain travel. Just more gradual hills around the middle to upper portion of Wisconsin nothing major. For the most part it pulls well. You will feel the wind slow you if it’s a strong one. There are a few inclines that I do slow on to about 40 or so but not much below that. You just have to take your time and be aware of the road. If you see a large hill start the climb a little early. I pull around 60 mph and that’s a comfy speed for me. Takes me longer but the traverse doesn’t struggle and it’s a ok ride. I average around 9-11 MPG. The computer puts me around 9.3-10.2. My math from the fill ups puts me anywhere from 8.7-10.1. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Oh yeah nice highjack of this thread LOL.

Tim
Old 10-27-2017, 03:25 PM   #15

I was looking at those crossovers when they were fairly new creatures. I can't remember exactly what the base tow rating is, but there is still at least 3500 lbs max. And I also remember that using the GCVWR, there was about a 300-400 lbs allowance for people and stuff in the vehicle, even at that maximum.

So, around 3200 lbs of loaded trailer means you'd have 600-700 lbs of capacity still left in the vehicle for people and cargo.

I do agree with looking around for a vehicle with the 5200 lbs towing package. It has a good tow/haul mode, which I remember includes adjusting shift logic, increases alternator output (for battery charging), and maybe other things.

But, as far as the ability to tow a little 3000-3200 lbs popup, there is no difference in the drivetrain (axle ratios, etc), and the base vehicle will have adequate cooling ability to handle that weight. So, if you don't find the HD package vehicle, I would not sweat it.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:26 PM   #16

Get the tow package

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttimerstraint View Post
I am looking at a 2017 gmc Acadia to tow my 213hw a frame (3k lb). The Acadia doesn't have the factory tow package. The dealership says they can add it, but I don't feel like it is the same as coming from the factory with it. From the factory, it has a 5k lb rating. Our primary tv is a gmc sierra.
Trust me, get the tow package factory installed. Had the same issue when I bought my 2011 Traverse without the tow package, and the sales guy said I could add it aftermarket. Truth is you can't.

GM will only warranty up to 5000k towing if you get the factory installed package. Only rated to 5k towing with the factory package as well. Sure you can get tranny and oil cooler and a hitch aftermarket, but can't get the electronics like tow haul button afterwards. I called 3 different dealers, none could install the factory tow package, and all said it won't be rated to tow the full 5k without it, but "should" be fine installing the coolers which was actually reasonable at around $500.

If you don't care about the warranty, can probably do fine with aftermarket coolers and such, but if you want to keep your warranty get the tow package on delivery.
Tonybrown32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #17

This guy is not going to exceed the base vehicle's 3500 lbs tow rating. There is no concern here about voiding the warranty.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing