Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #1
2604WS

Adjusting WDH

Depending on where or how long we will be camping things we take with us can change. This could impact the tongue weight. Does anyone bother with adjusting their WDH? Some like the Equalizer don't make adjustments very easy. Hitches like Blue Ox with chains would make it much easier. Is this something that is a big deal or am I worrying too much?
Kirk
kirkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #2
Insert witty title here

My WDH uses chains. I make the chains 1 link tighter if I'm carrying a full load of water.

If you park someplace flat and notice the rear of your truck squatting, tighten it up if you can.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:02 AM   #3

Being a Blue Ox user, I don't think you are making a big deal at all. I like the ease of adjustment offered by BX. When I'm heavily loaded, I set spring bar tension with 10 chain links. I just returned from a 700 mile trip where I was lightly loaded and adjusted tension using 9 links...smooth as silk.
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:16 AM   #4
Sham183

Have you purchased a WDH yet? I have a blue ox and love it. It is simple to install. Once installed the ease of use is great. The chains do make it easy to adjust for your load. My father in law has the equalizer and he loves it. The adjustment ability is not as easy to do but he has it set up so he has his tongue weight about the 13% mark and goes from there. I know there is more to how he sets it up but this is the short version haha. If you have not bought yet you will not go wrong with either one. Just one is easier for adjusting and the other stuff is personal preference on what you want. Good luck!
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:43 PM   #5

If I had the easy adjustability of chains, I might tinker with it, simply because I'm an engineer and tend to think like that.
But in my 8th season of using an Equal-I-zer, I can honestly say that I've never noticed a big enough swing where I wish I'd had that sort of flexibility.
Perhaps this is because my loading is so well balanced:
-Black and Grey holding tanks are centered over the 2 axles
-Anything in the forward or rear storage areas are there all the time
-Fresh water, fridge, and pantry (items that get used up) are very close to the axles, so usage is not a huge factor on TW percentage

Unless you have a fresh water tank at the very front or rear of the camper, I don't see most people having this sort of issue.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:11 AM   #6
2604WS

Thanks for all the replies. I've decided to go with the Blue Ox for a couple of reasons. My local dealer is giving me a heck of a deal on it, installed with ball that made it worthwhile when compared with what I could find on the net. Also we have a bike bunk up front by don't always take our bikes. In addition we have a forward water tank and there's one site we go to that the boss hates their well water. However I have warned her that this may not be in the cards no matter what. And finally, I'm an engineer and like to tinker.
Kirk
Old 07-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #7
Sham183

Adjusting WDH

Good luck with it all. You will like it. Just make sure the dealer hooks it up right. Most of us have found that the dealers tend to hook them up incorrectly. If i were you I would read the instructions and watch a few videos ( e trailer is one good source) on the blue ox just so you know what it should look like when hooked up and while the install is going on. The more you know and understand about it the better off you are. Also make sure you get the right size bars for your tongue weight. Good luck!
Old 07-21-2017, 10:04 AM   #8

Kirk, the installation is a breeze as long as you have the correct wrenches/sockets. The bolts that attach the hitch head to the stinger are rather large...the directions call for 1-1/16" and 1-1/8" sockets/wrenches. Plus a torque wrench is advised. As an engineer/tinkerer, you can install it yourself (I did) and know that it is correct. The BX directions are thorough and easy to follow. Just make sure to get the correct spring bars for your trailer. The 750's are perfect for my 21DS setup. Good luck...you will like the BX for sure.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:00 AM   #9
Sham183

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post
Kirk, the installation is a breeze as long as you have the correct wrenches/sockets. The bolts that attach the hitch head to the stinger are rather large...the directions call for 1-1/16" and 1-1/8" sockets/wrenches. Plus a torque wrench is advised. As an engineer/tinkerer, you can install it yourself (I did) and know that it is correct. The BX directions are thorough and easy to follow. Just make sure to get the correct spring bars for your trailer. The 750's are perfect for my 21DS setup. Good luck...you will like the BX for sure.

[emoji106] x2
Old 07-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #10

I replaced the BlueOx chains and snap up bracket with StrapTek. Even easier to hook up/off and to adjust on the fly with having to jack up tt.

https://www.lci1.com/straptek
StrapTek
4jeffconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:43 PM   #11
2604WS

Well, went and got the new hitch today and all I can say is WOW! Took it for a drive on the interstate and several semis that passed couldn't even be felt. One came by and I felt it but could feel the hitch correct. Overall ride was MUCH better which I guess comes with having a hitch that isn't overloaded by 40%.

It's funny but the person doing the install was the parts manager but he really knows his stuff. Been there 22 years and I trust him more than anyone else in the company. Whenever I have an issue the boss always asks if I've been to talk to Bob. I was "helping" him a bit and after all that I've read he did it exactly right. And he didn't even charge me for my "help".

Jeff, the straps are interesting but after shelling out $$ for the hitch, new tires to be installed tomorrow and a TPMS in the near future......

Thanks
Kirk
Old 07-25-2017, 12:58 PM   #12

Those "StrapTek" devices caught my eye a couple of months back. My TT pulls fine until a trailer trucks passes by then the rear end of the TT fishtails even with the sway control bar. IF I just knew that the StrapTek units would solve that fishtailing I'd replace those chains in a heart beat.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Those "StrapTek" devices caught my eye a couple of months back. My TT pulls fine until a trailer trucks passes by then the rear end of the TT fishtails even with the sway control bar. IF I just knew that the StrapTek units would solve that fishtailing I'd replace those chains in a heart beat.
I don't see how the StrapTek devices would help with sway. Yes they can make hooking up and adjusting the springbars easier but that's it...otherwise no different than the standard BX rotating chainsets from a perfomance perspective. I'm assuming you are talking about a different wdh from BX since you mentioned a 'sway control bar' anyway...
Old 07-25-2017, 04:22 PM   #14

I agree that I don't see how they help with sway. I have, I think, the Eazlift branded WDH with separate sway bar and I've played the chain adjustment often. As stated I do fine until a big rig passes me.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:08 PM   #15

I have the Blue Ox too and my question may be hijacking this thread, but it's got me thinking. When a semi passes me, is sucks me towards it then pushes me away from it. There is no real 'sway', or fishtail, just kind of pulls the TV and TT as one towards it and then as it's passing pushes us back to where we started. Is this considered sway or normal?
wardster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:24 PM   #16
Sham183

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardster View Post
I have the Blue Ox too and my question may be hijacking this thread, but it's got me thinking. When a semi passes me, is sucks me towards it then pushes me away from it. There is no real 'sway', or fishtail, just kind of pulls the TV and TT as one towards it and then as it's passing pushes us back to where we started. Is this considered sway or normal?

I would consider this a normal issue when hauling a trailer. I even have this slight issue when traveling with a car top carrier on. I think it's just the nature of the wind and pressure created. Just watch 2 semis pass each other they tend to be pushed/pulled at times when passed or passing. Just my .02 cents on this issue.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:03 PM   #17

"wardster, That's a more accurate description of what happens when a big rig passes me. But I still don't like that feeling

Old 07-25-2017, 07:32 PM   #18

Ok I'm new to this terminology here. What are you referring to as WDH ?
ruddie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:46 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddie66 View Post
Ok I'm new to this terminology here. What are you referring to as WDH ?
Weight Distributing Hitch
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:08 PM   #20
2604WS

My previous hitch had a separate friction sway bar. I would say that all semis that passed me caused very noticeable side to side movement. Some semis caused significantly more "sway" which I assume is related to the design of the semi. I'm also guessing that the degree of sway was also related to my WDH being loaded at about 140% of its capacity.

With my properly rated Blue Ox WDH with integrated sway control, the difference is amazing. Granted I've only had it on a 20 mile test ride on the interstate. However, I was passed by several semis and most I couldn't even tell they went by. One semi caused some sway but it was almost like you could tell the trailer/WDH were self correcting.

I'm happy so far, we'll see if the honeymoon continues.
Kirk