Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2017, 07:17 PM   #1

Aftermarket Air Filter

Anyone towing with a 3.5 Ecoboost use an aftermarket air filter ie K&N? Does it make any difference with power or fuel economy?
2017 Nights Booked - 38
2017 Nights Camped - 34
BugBearAndBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugBearAndBoo View Post
Anyone towing with a 3.5 Ecoboost use an aftermarket air filter ie K&N? Does it make any difference with power or fuel economy?
IMHO.....if something that simple would make that kind of difference......Ford would be all over it!...like a duck on a june/bug
Old 07-10-2017, 07:52 PM   #3

I prolly should stay out of this...I would not use them if they were free. I threw my last(which was my second one) away because I found fine sand in the air tube housing on my old diesel truck. I was told about it...took apart and found sand/powder in there.
The person who discovered it doubted himself. Cleaned all components and reinstalled. Sand showed up again.
Use a good quality filter or not.

You will get other opinions.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:46 PM   #4

K&N filters are a touchy subject on most forums but I have to agree they are junk and let fine grit into the engine.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:50 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I agree on K and N. Guy doing my roof works a lot of construction, wrecked his Cummins with dirt from a KN filter.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #6

There are different levels of aftermarket filters. AFE has its standard one like the K&N then they go to the 5 layer (oiled or non oiled version) then to the non oiled 7 layer for severe use. Another problem with some of the aftermarket is that they are an open element. Not a fan of those. I use the stock airbox and use the AFE Pro Dry 7 layer severe. More surface area then the paper and I've never had anything like sand or debris in or around the intake tube, ect. About $69-73

Or you can just change your stock element every 10-15K. Seems like the stock elements are going up in price so you would have to look at the cost difference. About $23/each
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:30 PM   #7

I've had several K&N's over the years, currently in the dirt bike and I can't imagine a worse case. I have cleaned it several times and always check post filter, never a single time have I found any thing but a clean intake track. Much better than the oiled foam stock or after market that failed after about the third cleaning.