Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #1

Air Bag Air Pressure

This is a dumb question but I've been pondering this for a while and I can't find a direct answer anywhere. For those of you hauling with air bags, at what point do you air them up when towing? Before you add the TT/5th or after?

My bags can carry 50lbs per PSI. With a 2,000lb pin weight that would equate to 40 PSI in the bags. If I air up to 40 PSI before I hookup ( in my mind) that will increase the pressure in the bags to beyond 40 PSI? My point being I don't want to under inflate the bags based on their weight rating but don't want to over inflate and remove too much pin weight from the truck and potentially over load the trailer tires/axles. Make sense? Should I load up the 5th and then air up bags to 40 PSI?

Am I over thinking this!
Tblackmon9599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblackmon9599 View Post
This is a dumb question but I've been pondering this for a while and I can't find a direct answer anywhere. For those of you hauling with air bags, at what point do you air them up when towing? Before you add the TT/5th or after?

My bags can carry 50lbs per PSI. With a 2,000lb pin weight that would equate to 40 PSI in the bags. If I air up to 40 PSI before I hookup ( in my mind) that will increase the pressure in the bags to beyond 40 PSI? My point being I don't want to under inflate the bags based on their weight rating but don't want to over inflate and remove too much pin weight from the truck and potentially over load the trailer tires/axles. Make sense? Should I load up the 5th and then air up bags to 40 PSI?

Am I over thinking this!
I usually put about 10-15 lbs. of air in them before dropping the pin onto the hitch (fifth wheel). Then once the landing gear are up, inflate the rest of the way. Usually run about 40 PSI in the air bags and adjust on the fly if necessary.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #3

Thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking. I aired up to 40PSI before loading last trip and it made the ride much worse.

How's the weather up your way today?
Old 02-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblackmon9599 View Post
Thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking. I aired up to 40PSI before loading last trip and it made the ride much worse.

How's the weather up your way today?
Did the same thing when I first got my air bags. It took a few trips to get everything adjusted to my liking. I added the onboard compressor with in cab controls and it made my life a breeze.

Have been in St.Louis most of the week, snow and rain all yesterday but clearing up today. Roads are fine. I think everyone was prepared for the most part.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #5

I just installed my on board compressor and I think that will help tremendously going forward. Glad you escaped the "blizzard".
Old 02-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Now a "Top Member"

I usually hook up to my truck with the 5psi in the bags as "empty". Then I go up to 35psi for my application. I have the remote wireless so I can change it on the fly, which is awesome. I will say that the amount of air is dependent on the conditions. Conditions of the road, the weight of the kingpin, and other factors. So you have to figure out what works right for you.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
I usually hook up to my truck with the 5psi in the bags as "empty". Then I go up to 35psi for my application. I have the remote wireless so I can change it on the fly, which is awesome. I will say that the amount of air is dependent on the conditions. Conditions of the road, the weight of the kingpin, and other factors. So you have to figure out what works right for you.
Thanks for the input.

I installed the bags a while back and could only air up before I left home and the campground. I noticed that the nose of the 5er looked kind of high the last time I pulled it and the ride was terrible. That's when I really started asking myself if I should air up before of after. I believe I must have transferred too much weight to the 5er and that's what caused the ride to be so bad. I just installed an on-board compressor myself and I think that will help me dial it in as I pull it. You guys have both helped me with your responses and it's greatly appreciated. This forum has really helped answer a lot of questions for me as I'm still kind of new to camping. That's again.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #8

You will love the onboard air system! I believe it is the best mod you can do to a TV(in conjunction with bags). I run around 12 PSI in my bags when empty. When loaded, it goes up to around 34 PSI. I love being able to adjust on the fly. When the interstates get bumpy, I usually go up to around 40-45 psi to help with the bouncing of the roadway. Here is a pic of my Viair system installed.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #9

I have just received my TLC Airlift kit with the wireless today. I hope the weather breaks so I can get them installed. The forum has been a great source of info. Here yet again is some ore great stuff. They say it should only take about 1 hour to install. I might just have to brave the cold and dress up for the weather and get her done.

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012
DougP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #10

Git R Dun Dude!!!!

You'll love the control. I thought about wireless but.....

One suggestion, don't know if you are installing air lines but if so and you want to insulate them with conduit make sure you do it before or as you go. It's a real pain otherwise.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #11

I have the compressor mounted and the wireless control. I'm going to paint parts for airbags before in mount them. Hopefully next weekend.

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012
Old 02-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #12

Tb=9599-- great idea on the insulating the air line. Well I installed the wireless Sunday, took a few min because I had the Daytona race on. I will be installing the airbags next weekend. I have some bare metal that I want to get plated or painted, thinking plated. Good to go after that. The weather is expected to be bad this weekend. We’ll see

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012
Old 02-26-2013, 12:36 AM   #13

I run 10 psi in my bags and air up 65 psi after I drop the 5er on the truck !! I run a york air system off the engine and yes it will run air tools too
Old 02-26-2013, 03:05 AM   #14

I installed the wireless compressor system and love it!!! I run unloaded with 10 lbs and eye-balled the 5th wheel and pickup pretty level at 30 lbs. Seems to pull pretty good at that pressure also. Have the auto-level system on the Wildcat Maxx and notice I need to reduce pressure to 10 lbs when I unhook, otherwise the pickup bed chases the 5th wheel hitch upwards a bit. Having the remote makes these changes a breeze. Understand your weather issues, I lollygagged waiting for better weather until it got down to about 30 degrees before I "got-er-dun". :-)
Days camped 2013 = 51 (as of 26 Apr)
NevadaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougP47 View Post
Tb=9599-- great idea on the insulating the air line. Well I installed the wireless Sunday, took a few min because I had the Daytona race on. I will be installing the airbags next weekend. I have some bare metal that I want to get plated or painted, thinking plated. Good to go after that. The weather is expected to be bad this weekend. We’ll see
Thanks. I thought it best to avoid heat, rocks, etc. I don't want to be stranded due to a damaged air line. Glad you got the wireless installed. I wish I had gone that route after realizing I'd have the air lines run into my cab but it was too late. I didn't really think I through because I was so excited to get one installed.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #16

Finished install the air bags Saturday and went for road trip today. Wow what a difference ride was a little stiffer. Turns didn't have much of a lean in turns. Running 3 lbs air unloaded, i might take some out and check it out again. Picking up tt after minor repairs tomorrow morning. Will air the bags up when loaded and adjust as needed depending on load. All in all I'm glad they are installed. Will take pictures when it warms up.

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012
Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougP47 View Post
Finished install the air bags Saturday and went for road trip today. Wow what a difference ride was a little stiffer. Turns didn't have much of a lean in turns. Running 3 lbs air unloaded, i might take some out and check it out again. Picking up tt after minor repairs tomorrow morning. Will air the bags up when loaded and adjust as needed depending on load. All in all I'm glad they are installed. Will take pictures when it warms up.
That's great. Did you mean 30 PSI or 3? I run about 10 unloaded and it really makes a difference. Just got back from Charleston SC yesterday. First time I was able to use my on board compressor. Made hook up and disconnect so much easier.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #18
Now a "Top Member"

My Firestone Ride-Rites call for 5psi unloaded. My wireless remote keeps them at 5psi.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #19

Tblackmon9599 yes I mint 3 lbs in the other post. But I’m not sure if that is correct just indicated on the gauge .After I have everything working now even got the wireless hooked up to the compressor. I am running 5 lbs unloaded and looks like 15 with the tt hooked. I will have to check what the running pressure will be. I thought it was 3 lbs but after getting things working found out the truck rides different ( not as stiff) with 5 lbs indicated with the remote. I like the ride much better now with this pressure unloaded.

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012