Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2016, 09:00 AM   #1
Cadiz Couple

Air Bag Question

We are brand new to towing and are looking for advice from the old experienced guys. I have a 2013 Tundra and Rockwood 8310 that we haven't yet hit the road with. I crunched the numbers and am legal but admittedly this is a big load. I have heard "air bags" mentioned, but know nothing about them. Are they something that I should consider installing on my Tundra? Thanks, Gordy
Cadiz Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:24 AM   #2

Air bags will not increase the payload or Gross combine weight rating on any truck. What Air bags will do is to equalize the load carrying ability of the truck and allow some of the load to be shifted to the front axle.

As an example if the truck and trailer combination when hooked up for towing, the rear end sages and the front end of the truck is noise high. The air bags when pressurized will allow the truck to sit level with the load of the camper or any object in the bed that is causing the front end to be nose high.

What I did when I first installed my air bags was to measure the frame/rear bumper ( something that can be easily measured) to established the ride height of the truck, as shipped from the manufacture unloaded. I then attached my 5er to the truck and duplicated this dimension as I added air to the air bags to insure a level load. I recorded this air pressure and use this now to inflate the bags after I attached the 5er every time.

Good luck!
Old 06-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #3

I believe the 8310 is bumper pull. My take on this, and you'll get differing opinions, is that a bumper pull trailer will benefit more from a weight distribution hitch (WDH) than air bags...with some exceptions. Two misconceptions as I see it, are that the primary purpose of WDH is to eliminate rear end squat and that air bags will take care of lift on the front end (this may be more true of a fifth wheel since the loading is mainly directly over the rear axles whereas a bumper pull trailer is still using the rear axle as a pivot point regardless of how high the back end is raised). Bags will transfer a little weight forward, but it's really minimal for a bumper pull trailer.

I would use WDH to return the front end as close to stock height / weight and then use air bags if necessary to eliminate excessive squat or porpoising (due to weak suspension in many cases).