Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #1

Air Bags on TV

Just put a set of air bags on my older F250, aired them up, and everything seems good to go. The front leaf springs on the old girl were just too darn rough, not to mention the rear! Hopefully the air bags will soften the ride a bit, as well as get the rear end back up.
I was just curious what kind of pressures I should be running.
Those who have done a similar install, what pressures do you run?
TIA
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Just put a set of air bags on my older F250, aired them up, and everything seems good to go. The front leaf springs on the old girl were just too darn rough, not to mention the rear! Hopefully the air bags will soften the ride a bit, as well as get the rear end back up.
TIA
It really depends on your preference.
I run mine at anywhere from 50 to 70 depending on the roads I know I'll be on.
Some like it softer.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #3

Like Turbs said, it depends on how much you have in the bed or tongue weight your connecting. I run about 60 psi with my TT and a quad in the bed, as an example. Nothing exact, just getting it back to a level ride. When im empty, I leave about 5 psi in there per the Firestone rule book.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #4

Thanks guys.
I was just looking for some ballpark figures.
Just checking for leaks, I put 50 psi in the back and that raised it up over an inch. Then I put 40 psi in the front, and that diesel is so heavy it only went up a quarter inch!
It will be interesting once I get the camper dropped on it.
Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Just remember the bags won't make weak springs support like new.
If the truck has sentimental value, a new set of springs and a coat of wax might be a great present to an old friend.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #6

Yes Herk, she is an old and reliable friend.
But the springs don't seem that tired, as it only drops about an inch when I drop the 1500 lbs of camper on the hitch.
The air bags are mostly just for comfort, as it really does ride 'like a wagon' when empty. The older Fords with the leaf springs are great tow vehicles, but they were definitely not made for comfort!

I keep thinking about a new TV, but with only 120,000 miles on this truck, it is only just broke in! And other than the ride, the captain's chairs are more comfortable than the seats in most new trucks, and that old 7.3 pulls like a bear.

But we still have 3 months of winter to get through before I can even think about our first camping trip. I cant wait to see how much better it rides with the air bags.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #7

Smile

Quote:
TIA
I'm about to put some air bags on my truck as well, firestone air rides. Which airbags did you buy and how long did it take you to install, thanks.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #8

buddy at work installed bags on his 99SD 7.3 and with his heavy slide in camper he is loving them, I am getting ready to pull the trigger for my TV, do not really need them but want a little extra lift

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #9

I put Firestone's on mine....and I have a dually! Did I need them, not until after I had them What I mean is, they make the truck and camper much more stable. Even for the dually. I didn't realize how much bounce and sway there was without them. The ride is much more comfortable with a load. Really makes those trips on other states interstates much more relaxing! Make sure you plumb them independently. They are a great addition to any tow vehicle in my opinion. My wife was very skeptical, even questioning the money spent(not harping-just questioning). So on our first trip down the interstate, I aired down the bags and let the truck 'jerk and rebound' and then aired them up to around 45 pounds(5th wheel/3k in weight) so she could see the difference. She offered to pay for them! Good luck and happy towing/camping!!!
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #10

I had a set of Ride-Rites installed on my F-250 and they make all the difference in the world in ride comfort, handling, and stability. My 40' Blue Ridge 5er has a hitch weight of 1,930 lbs. I usually run 60 psi in the rear bags when towing, sometimes a little more or a little less depending on the road. I keep 10 psi in them when I don't have a load. (I don't have front bags.)
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #11

prairiecamper, I bought the Firestone Ride-Rites. they seem to be the most popular.
It took about 12 hours to mount all four, but I was taking my time, and also had to work around my fifth wheel mounting brackets, as they were in the way of where the top air bag support was supposed to go.
All things considered, it was pretty simple, and the hardware supplied with the kit works well.

At first I was going to tie the air lines together for the front and rear sets, but as they didn't supply a tee to do that, I plumbed all of the bags seperately. That is probably the better solution anyway, as that eliminates any transfer of air from side-to-side.

golfmedic, I noticed you only use 45 lbs of air in the back. That should provide a nice smooth ride.
I really am looking forward to trying them out!
Darn winter!
Old 01-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #12

On my F250 I had a set of Firestone 2400 installed last Nov. I keep 60psi in there. They work well with a 5er. Amazon's prices beat Trick Trucks by over 150 dollars.
ezawacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #13

I got mine from TruckSpring.com, very good price.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #14

I tossed in a set of air bags Firestone in the back of my 1 ton dually. Towing the big girl could not be nicer, and I can not imagine doing it without them. I installed them myself, make sure you have a full day set aside, you probably will have it done in a shorter time but I left room for broken bolts or drill bits etc.

Follow the directions and if unsure most places have a web site to double check, check were the mounting bolts are going to go and check before you drill holes. Run separate lines for both sides to your fill point. I located the filler connections just above and the left & right of my license plate.

5psi or there about when empty and upwards of 30 when the 5er is on depending on roads etc...

I think you will like them, if you want to go real fancy you can install the on board compressor and change the air pressure as you drive.!!!

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #15

Quote:
golfmedic, I noticed you only use 45 lbs of air in the back. That should provide a nice smooth ride.
I really am looking forward to trying them out!
Darn winter!
Yes it does. I rigged mine up in conjunction with a Viair 10007 onboard system with the dual pneumatic control panel. I can adjust on the fly instantly. I've had as much as 55 psi in them on the interstates in SC, but generally run around 40-45 and pulls just fine. 12 psi when empty. Best mod you can ever do to a tow vehicle in my opinion!
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air bags