Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2015, 12:05 AM   #21

the manual may say as to how much weight per PSI is lifted. I have the Firestone's, and its 32 lbs of lift per 1 PSI. Would be a good starting point.

WDH should be set up with no assistance from the air bags, and then inflate air bags as needed.
Nights camped in 2015 - 20
Ditchooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:42 AM   #22
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehast View Post
I just purchased the Air Lift 1000 Air Bags to tow a 2015 Salem 27DBUD. Since this will be my first experience with the air bags, I'm wondering if you guys can give me the low down on on three things;

1. air pressure (what psi w/wo TT)
2. if an on board compressor is the way to go
3. and if make modifications with your WDH (I use the Andersen WDH).

TV is 2012 Ram 1500
Air Lift 1000s in our Dodge too. We run about 25 psi with the TT on the ball. We use little 12v compressor for top ups - quick and easy. There are plug in adapters avail at many RV sources that will allow you to access the 12v from the TT elect connection on the TV. Leave your WDH setup alone - it shouldn't require any changes. Many users of bags contend that you need separate air lines running to each bag to prevent air transfer from bag to bag when cornering. I've run these bags interconnected for three seasons and have yet to encounter this anecdotal phenomena.

Happy trails!

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:31 PM   #23

Can anyone help me with this, I read that air bag don't help with payload, is this correct? I would like a little more payload or be able to get more stuff in my truck, do air bag help with this?

2013 Ford F150 3.5 ECO SCREW
TT233S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:38 PM   #24

No, sorry, I wish they did. All they will do is level your truck and in some cases improve your ride. Pretty much the only way to increase your payload is to change the truck. A lot of guy's have done things to help manage load and maybe they will chime in.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:43 PM   #25

Thx Storm, that's what I've been reading............

2013 Ford F150 3.5 ECO SCREW
TT233S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #26
Mod free 5er

Have Air Lifts and an onboard compressor and can run up to 100# on them. Usually run around 45#or 50# unless we're coming back from FL and I will pump them up to 60#-70#.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:58 PM   #27

On my last truck I added a heavy duty shock from Monroe. In addition to the shock it had a coil for secondary support. It helped, but still dropped a bit, so this time (just got a newer truck) I thought I'd try the Air Lifts this time. Like OldCoot I got an on board compressor to go with it.
sheehast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #28

Air bags do not increase the payload capacity of your truck. You are still limited by several factors such as: the sticker in your door jamb that specifies payload, the GVWR, the GAWR (axle maximum) tires/rims. If either of these is exceeded you are liable if you get pulled over and checked or get involved in an accident. It's best to weigh so you can get the best determination if you are over the limits. Air bags will help you keep your load stabilized, keep the front end pressure down on the pavement for steering if you are hauling heavy loads, help to offset some of the downward force on your rear springs/shocks by absorbing weight. They are not a legal substitution to exceed the manufacturers gross weight ratings however.
Zolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:47 PM   #29
Mod free 5er

Zolin, how in the world can it be proven that an overload of 100#-500# caused an accident? Never heard of a farmer being ticketed or held liable and they grossly overload on a regular basis. Same on most cars if you go by the stickers.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:01 AM   #30
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Zolin, how in the world can it be proven that an overload of 100#-500# caused an accident? Never heard of a farmer being ticketed or held liable and they grossly overload on a regular basis. Same on most cars if you go by the stickers.
It is not hard to prove if a combination vehicle was overloaded at the time of a crash.
If it's a fatal, every avenue is taken to prove cause and fault of the crash. An ambitious lawyer and the greiving family will try at any expense in preparation for a lawsuit.
If one knowingly and purposely overloaded a vehicle, that as a result caused or could not avoid a crash, guess who's left hanging with the blame and a life changing lawsuit.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:48 AM   #31

Regardless of whether or not you could be held liable, the answer to the question is:
No, airbags will not increase your ratings. There are too many other components in the axle/vehicle system which are together rated to a certain point.

Exceeding any weight ratings is a risk everybody has to consider, whether you have made modifications or not. I do not recommend it. If you need more capacity, get more truck.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #32

As you can see, there are different opinions on whether or not airbags increase payload. The general consensus is no, but of the hundreds of entries and countless articles I've read regarding payload, not one single person has been able to substantiate this claim based upon factual evidence. Here's my take- IF the weak link in a 1/2 ton truck is the suspension - and there is ample evidence to suggest it is- then adding air bags WILL make the truck capable of carrying a heavier load safely. It won't change the sticker. But that sticker also says what size tire I must run and at what air pressure. Deviate from those and you can just as easily be sued by some ambulance chaser. You do realize that aggressive and/or oversized tires make a truck handle worse and could easily be shown to be a factor in an accident...
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:26 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolin View Post
They are not a legal substitution to exceed the manufacturers gross weight ratings however.
Can you show some evidence that a sticker placed on a door by a manufacturer is legally binding? I, for one, don't think it is. The manufacturers don't even reveal how they get to those numbers and don't even follow the same guidelines- at least on anything prior to 2015 models.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:35 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
It is not hard to prove if a combination vehicle was overloaded at the time of a crash.
If it's a fatal, every avenue is taken to prove cause and fault of the crash. An ambitious lawyer and the greiving family will try at any expense in preparation for a lawsuit.
If one knowingly and purposely overloaded a vehicle, that as a result caused or could not avoid a crash, guess who's left hanging with the blame and a life changing lawsuit.
This is in direct contradiction to what I was told by a retired LEO that worked in Texas and California. The last portion of his career he actually worked as an accident investigator. He claimed that he has never heard of nor seen an accident that was attributed to weight- there was always another cause. He also stated that there was no feasible way for them to weigh a TT/FW that was involved in a major wreck. The "knowingly and purposefully" part in your statement would be almost impossible to prove. I suppose if they had a video of one going through a CAT scale and then proceeding on their merry way they might be able to prove this- other than that???
Old 03-27-2015, 09:20 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by lickem66 View Post
I too have Firestone Ride-Rites and installed the valves in rear bumper area, actually the plate my trailer lights/brake plug is in. I don't inflate with a compressor since it takes so little volume to get to the 20 lbs I use in them when towing. I can pump them using a bike pump from 5 lbs to 20 lbs in about 5-6 pumps each side.
Ditto on this, I found out that saving the extra $300 - $400 from the compressor install to a bike pump let me buy other gadgets.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
I just purchased the Air Lift 1000 Air Bags to tow a 2015 Salem 27DBUD. Since this will be my first experience with the air bags, I'm wondering if you guys can give me the low down on on three things;

1. air pressure (what psi w/wo TT)
2. if an on board compressor is the way to go
3. and if make modifications with your WDH (I use the Andersen WDH).

TV is 2012 Ram 1500
On my last truck I had bags. Towing the tt @ 50psi , w/o @10psi
Didn't have a on board compressor, I had 2 valve stems at the licence plate and use a high psi bicycle pump.
Made no other adjustment to my wdh.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #37
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootdawg View Post
Ditto on this, I found out that saving the extra $300 - $400 from the compressor install to a bike pump let me buy other gadgets.
I gave less than $300 for my complete setup 15 yrs ago including the on board compressor. Still using it and it doesn't leak.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
As you can see, there are different opinions on whether or not airbags increase payload. The general consensus is no, but of the hundreds of entries and countless articles I've read regarding payload, not one single person has been able to substantiate this claim based upon factual evidence. Here's my take- IF the weak link in a 1/2 ton truck is the suspension - and there is ample evidence to suggest it is- then adding air bags WILL make the truck capable of carrying a heavier load safely. It won't change the sticker. But that sticker also says what size tire I must run and at what air pressure. Deviate from those and you can just as easily be sued by some ambulance chaser. You do realize that aggressive and/or oversized tires make a truck handle worse and could easily be shown to be a factor in an accident...
You speak as if anyone here is recommending you run tires that are load-rated lower than stock! Of course we realize it. You should not replace shocks, springs, tires, or anything with parts that are rated lower than what came on the vehicle.
The only way I'd recommend something like this is if there is a HD payload or other package, and you are simply upgrading to the same components that would have come with that package. That is easily verified.
But throwing in some airbags, then saying that you've increased the payload capacity isn't right. Even the airbags will come with a warning sticker saying not to do that.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:36 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Even the airbags will come with a warning sticker saying not to do that.
Exactly right thebrakeman

I just got my Air Lift air bags last night...It specifically states that the air bags DO NOT increase towing or load capacity.
sheehast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:40 AM   #40
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Exactly right thebrakeman

I just got my Air Lift air bags last night...It specifically states that the air bags DO NOT increase towing or load capacity.
It's a typical CYA statement, like "Don't take sleeping pills and operate a vehicle."