Old 03-15-2020, 08:40 PM   #1

air bags with WD hitch?

i have the airlift 1000 on my ram 1500. i also have a new WD hitch (dual cam system) that i want to get set up.

im wondering if i should set up with the bags inflated all the way or deflated all rhe way... im assuming deflated, but figured id check to make sure.

thanks!
OR_Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:02 PM   #2

Adjust the bags first, get them where you want them, then connect and adjust the WD hitch. Adjusting the bags after will screw up the WD adjustment.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:08 PM   #3

Many knowledgeable folks caution to set up with the bags inflated to your towing pressure. To set up the WDH and then inflate will ruin your setup. Many recommend to set with 15lbs for towing, then adjust the WDH.

Unless you are towing heavy, the WDH should negate the need for the bags. Airbags are generally used to offset payload (overload).
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:14 PM   #4

Here is a pretty clear explanation of the issues that come up using air bags and WD hitches. Created by Fastway trailer.

I expect you can substitute any WD hitch for the one used in this utube.

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:30 PM   #5

I have airbags on my tv because I used to carry a slide in camper. I will not be adding air to them while using the wd hitch. Just don't see any reason to use both.
Bradmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:52 PM   #6

Set up with bags inflated to normal ride height. I use my air bags for attaching my chains only. Inflate to 90 lbs to raise the hitch after the trailer is on the ball, attach the chains, deflate to ride height inflation. No stress in attaching chains.
simiHal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:38 AM   #7
JCR

Why the need for WDH if you have quality are bags?The air bags will push weight forward and lower front end. WDH puts a lot of stress on vehicle frame and hitch when crossing a small gully, road valley, or coming off gas station transition hill.Could possibly brake something very expensive with a WDH.All good when level but driving over small valleys can put a lot of stress on your TV ..
JCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
Why the need for WDH if you have quality are bags?The air bags will push weight forward and lower front end. WDH puts a lot of stress on vehicle frame and hitch when crossing a small gully, road valley, or coming off gas station transition hill.Could possibly brake something very expensive with a WDH.All good when level but driving over small valleys can put a lot of stress on your TV ..

Thatís not how air bags work. They raise the rear but donít transfer weight back to the front. They are only for load leveling and not weight distribution. They are absolutely not a replacement for a WDH.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Air bags will not push weight fwd and will actually make it worse . I carry about 1000 lbs in my truck fully loaded before hitching up so i use the air bags to give me close to stock ride height then add the TH TW and adjust WD accordingly
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Here is a pretty clear explanation of the issues that come up using air bags and WD hitches. Created by Fastway trailer.

I expect you can substitute any WD hitch for the one used in this utube.

It would be nice if they did a truck with a load leveled with air bags and then the additional weight of TT with WDH to offset the TT and redistribute weight
Old 03-24-2020, 12:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
Adjust the bags first, get them where you want them, then connect and adjust the WD hitch. Adjusting the bags after will screw up the WD adjustment.
^^^ This. Those bags need at least 5 psi at all times to avoid getting damaged. And filling them to the max is way too much. Measure your height before you hook up the trailer, then air up to that height after you are hooked up and then set up your WDH.
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.6L 4.10
2020 KZ 130RBSE
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:00 PM   #12
JCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
Thatís not how air bags work. They raise the rear but donít transfer weight back to the front. They are only for load leveling and not weight distribution. They are absolutely not a replacement for a WDH.
Actually they do.. Think of see saw. If two people weigh the same and equidistant from each other they would be level. If you raise one side mechanically then the other side will go down because that same force transfers the weight to the other side.. Same as an air bag ..That is the force. Say for another example.. If you had a rear air bag and you raised it up 6 feet hypothetically then the front of the truck would bear the weight.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Actually they do.. Think of see saw. If two people weigh the same and equidistant from each other they would be level. If you raise one side mechanically then the other side will go down because that same force transfers the weight to the other side.. Same as an air bag ..That is the force. Say for another example.. If you had a rear air bag and you raised it up 6 feet hypothetically then the front of the truck would bear the weight.

That is absolutely NOT how airbags or truck suspensions work and is an invalid example because a see-saw works like a lever. There is no lever in the middle of the truck that the airbags are working with. The airbags raise the rear of the truck but they do not put an equal amount of downward force back on the front of the truck. This is easily verified by hitting the CAT scales with a trailer hitched up and only using air bags to raise the rear of the truck vs using a WDH to help distribute the hitch weight.

A WDH and airbags perform two different functions because they apply physics completely different. Please take the time to learn the actual physics involved.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:16 PM   #14
JCR

Old 03-24-2020, 03:18 PM   #15
JCR

So you say if I lift the rear bed 6 feet in the air the front doesn't get heavier.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #16

Quote:
So you say if I lift the rear bed 6 feet in the air the front doesn't get heavier.
Did you even take the time to watch the video you posted? It talks about how WDHs work, not airbags.

Your "lifting 6 feet into the air" example is also invalid because that will never happen. Let's stick to reality and practical use, operation, and physics.

Airbags do not apply leverage to the chassis that ends up being transferred to the front axle. Period. That is what a WDH does.

If you'd like to learn how things really work then great, please actually take the time to learn and listen to the people that know.

If you're going to keep posting nonsense then we're done.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:40 PM   #17
JCR

Then thanks for proving that the physics I stated is true. The video does not relate to an air bag comparison nor did I say it did.You have an imagination. It says its a bad thing to have under certain circumstances that one can and may encounter on a roadway. I hope you can grasp that air bags will not damage the frame where as a WDH can. The main thing is to have the vehicle level when towing and both will do that. I hope you can grasp that.Now we are done!
Old 03-24-2020, 03:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Not so .
Old 03-24-2020, 04:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Then thanks for proving that the physics I stated is true. The video does not relate to an air bag comparison nor did I say it did.You have an imagination. It says its a bad thing to have under certain circumstances that one can and may encounter on a roadway. I hope you can grasp that air bags will not damage the frame where as a WDH can. The main thing is to have the vehicle level when towing and both will do that. I hope you can grasp that.Now we are done!

The purpose of the WDH *IS NOT* to bring a vehicle back to level. That is a fundamental misunderstanding on your part and now explains why you think a WDH and airbags accomplish the same thing when they do two very different things.

Not responding to your nonsense example doesn't prove anything other than I'm not going to engage in nonsense comparisons.

Please, do yourself a favor. Educate yourself. A WDH isn't going to hurt the frame of a vehicle when properly adjusted and used. More nonsense on your part.

Do you know what a fulcrum is? How about moment of inertia? Can you tell me the definition of those without looking them up? If not then you don't understand the physics involved with a WDH and as such don't understand why airbags perform a different function than a WDH.

The level of arrogance on your part considering your level of ignorance is astounding. The Dunning-Kruger effect is off the charts with you.

Take care. I needed a good laugh and you delivered.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:36 PM   #20
JCR

Now you know more than a a man with a PHD in physics.. Even if adjusted and installed correctly a road condition can seriously and costly do damage to a truck's or vehicle frame. Please watch again , listen carefully, and I hope next time you will get it.Geez being around a knowitall must be a fun time for all your buds.Try watching again and this time pay attention to the physics and what he is saying..

Tags
air bags, hitch