Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #1

Air-ride question

I am pulling a Stealth Toyhauler 18SS with my 2005 Toyota Tundra. I have towed it all over the western US in the last two years and it always square the back end and makes the nose ride high. I have a buddy who put air bags in the rear suspense and I was wondering if I could get some input on doing this. Is it worth the $1500 I prices it out at? Will it help my truck tow the trailer better? Does it improve gas mileage at all? Any info you can give me would be great.

Thank you
NomadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #2

A weight distribution hitch would be a lot cheaper.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #3

AirLift 1000 | Air Lift Company

I installed a set of these on my 2011 Pathfinder and they make a huge difference with respect to ride height. I was able to use one less link on the WDH and it now sits perfectly level.
SlowerThanU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #4

I already have the WDH, and I am still not riding level. That is why I am researching the Air bags.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadMan View Post
I have towed it all over the western US in the last two years and it always square the back end and makes the nose ride high.
Thank you
I don't quite understand what you are trying to relay here. Does the nose of the trailer run high ?? If so, the hitch needs to be adjusted to make the trailer ride level.

What does "square the back" mean ???

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #6

Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I don't quite understand what you are trying to relay here. Does the nose of the trailer run high ?? If so, the hitch needs to be adjusted to make the trailer ride level.

What does "square the back" mean ???
Sorry, autofill on the iPad change squat to square. I meant squat the back. I have adjusted the hitch up once last summer and that did help some. I will move it up one more notch.

I am curious if the air-ride does what I have heard it does. For example, one mechanic told me that it increases your towing capacity by about 1500lbs.

I am trying to verify the benefits or usefulness of adding the air ride system to my truck.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #7

mtnguy,
I assumed he meant "squats" the back end of the TV. I figured he wasn't using a WDH. However, now it appears it's not adjusted correctly if he is in fact referring to the TV not riding level.

NomadMan,
A WDH can actually make your TV lower in the front if it's adjusted too far that way. I would explore adjusting your hitch first. You should be able to get your TV to sit correctly that way.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #8

Ha, you beat me to it.

Regarding the airbags, they might raise the backend of your TV, but your weight distribution will still be wrong. Chances are you don't have enough weight on your front axle. The air bags won't change that.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhoppe View Post
Regarding the airbags, they might raise the backend of your TV, but your weight distribution will still be wrong. Chances are you don't have enough weight on your front axle. The air bags won't change that.
I agree with dlhoppe.

NomadMan, If your WDH is adjusted properly, then there should not be a noticeable sag in the rear of your Tundra. Yes, it will still go down some when you hook up your trailer with the WDH.

You say you have already adjusted 1 notch. Me thinks you need to start from square 1, and do the fender measurements as outlined in your instruction book. It sounds like you don't have enough weight distributed to the front axle, but you don't want to put too much weight up there either....hence, then fender measurements to tweak your system.

I don't see the 18SS listed on the Stealth website. If you are referring to the SS1812, then it lists the tongue weight at 608 lbs. That is pretty heavy tongue weight for a listed 4240 dry weight trailer, but bumper pull toyhaulers tend to have heavier tongue weights so that when you load up the back, then you will still have enough tongue weight. It would be good if you could get an actual tongue weight after you get your toy(s) loaded and the camper ready for the road. That way, you can make sure you have the properly sized spring bars. Undersized spring bars may not give you the weight distributing that you need, and oversized spring bars might give you a rough ride and add extra stress to the Tundra hitch.

I am a believer that a properly sized and setup WDH will work with most trucks and trailers. I am also a believer that air bags should seldom be used on 1/2 ton trucks, especially to correct a weight distributing problem......as dlhoppe stated, air bags will not get the weight back on the front axle. A 1/2 ton truck has a semi-floating rear axle that can easily be overloaded, causing premature axle failure. Air bags will not increase the rear axle rating, and will not increase the listed towing rate for a vehicle.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
HOLIDAY ROAD

I used these air bags with a slide in camper and they worked great. I now want to use them when pulling my 5th. Price in canada is around 400 but I'm sure cheeper south of the boarder.
Holiday Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #11

The GVWR on my 2005 tundra is 7800
Old 08-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The GVWR on my 2005 tundra is 7800
Are you sure that is the GVWR or the maximum tow rating ??? The figures that I come up from the web on a 2005 Tundra SR5 Double Cab are 6600 lbs. The GVWR should be listed on the drivers side door.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy

Are you sure that is the GVWR or the maximum tow rating ??? The figures that I come up from the web on a 2005 Tundra SR5 Double Cab are 6600 lbs. The GVWR should be listed on the drivers side door.
I will check when I get home. What problems can occur if I am towing more than I should?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I will check when I get home. What problems can occur if I am towing more than I should?
Let's see what figures you have 1st.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

To some following this thread, I have moved some posts concerning air bags on TVs pulling 5th wheels to a separate thread, to keep this thread more in line with air bags on tow vehicles pulling bumper pull trailer.

The other thread is here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ead-15521.html

Old 08-10-2011, 12:45 AM   #16

I checked on the GVWR and you were right, it is 6600lbs. I don't know where I got the 7800lbs number from. I do have the Stealth SS1812. I have a 2010 Ranger RZRs that I load in it or 2 quads that I load in it. What is the trouble if I over load the trailer? The trailers dry weight is 4240 so I think when I load water and the RZR, plus food and cloths I am pretty close, if not over, the weight rating.

I have pulled the trailer over 14,000 miles in the last 2 years so I am not too worried but this is my first trailer so is there anything I should be particularly concerned with or watch out for?
Old 08-10-2011, 07:18 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

The GVWR of 6600 lbs may not be a concern if you load your truck lite. I think the 2005 Tundras were the smaller size, and may not weight as much initially.

You need to find your actual tow rating for the truck that you have. You can probably call your dealer, give him your VIN, and he may be able to tell you the rating. Cab/bed configuration, engine, transmission, final drive ratio, and tow package options all figure in on the towing capacity.

Next, you need to make a couple of trips across some scales to see if you are within all of your limits. A pass without the trailer hooked up, weighing both truck axles is needed. Then a pass with the trailer hooked up, again weighing the front truck axle, both axles, the total of truck and trailer, and then just the trailer axles. Make another pass without the WDH hooked up, again weighing the axles and the total. These figures can give you all sorts of good information, and also let you know if your WDH is setup properly.

A CAT scale can give you these figures by weighing each axle separately. If you use the local quarry scales, you will need to record the figures as you weigh them....many quarry scales have electronic readouts that you can read from the drivers seat. If you use the local quarry, go in and get permission from the weigh clerk 1st, along with instructions.