Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2016, 08:45 PM   #1

Airlift bag kit and wireless one

Hey guys I just recently installed a airlift ultimate 5000 air bag kit along with a wireless one controller/compressor kit on my 15' 2500hd truck

If I turn the truck off for I would say more then 1 hour when I get on, turn the truck on my compressor will kick on for a few seconds????

I have checked for leaks, check the 90 degree fittings at the bags and all good:/

Not sure what is going on
Ozziedodge67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:05 PM   #2

Perfectly normal. Mine has done that for years (I have an original unit nit wireless). I quit paying attention years ago.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:13 PM   #3

Ok.... thanks.... it's what I'm worried about... spent aprox $800 bucks and want to make sure this kit is working correct
•All pulled by 15' Gmc 2500HD duramax
Ozziedodge67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:54 PM   #4

They really went up in price, but I installed mine myself and that was a while (years ago). You can take solace in the fact that mine was installed by me in 1999 on my still going strong 1997 F350 OBS 7.3 long bed 4x4 No issues (other than the compressor cycling for a few seconds ocassionally in all those years...

and I use mine real hard. When it's not toting the RV, it's pulling a gooseneck that is usually overloaded so I've had mine aired up to 70 pounds plus many times. Never blew a bag, no leaks...nothing.

I'm sold on them.

My kit was (I think) 250 bucks back then...... Bags, mounts, compressor, ayr gage, wiring, everything but labor. I'm the labor.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:22 PM   #5

Mine did the same. After sitting, the compressor would kick on for a second or two. I got soapy water, sprayed all the fittings and found a slow leak on the 90 degree fitting on one bag.

It will still kick on if there is a drastic temperature change or load/unload with the bags at the minimum 5 psi.

Jack of all trades, Master on none
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:38 AM   #6

I installed Firestone Air bags in my 2011 F250 Lariat 6.7 Diesel with a wireless controller back in 2012. Mounted the little compressor in my rear under seat storage area where their already was a 12 volt aux plug. (The only problem Ford has their aux power outlets always energized, if I ever have an air leak and if I'm not around).
Sure makes hitching and unhitching the trailer easier, along with a power jack on the trailer.
Going down the highways I found by raising and lower the truck a little sure makes trailer sway a thing of the past. So much so that I stopped hooking up my 15K lb. Reese hitch's anti sway / load leveling bars.
jamesroadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:08 AM   #7

I see the newer versions come with push to connect fittings (that I really don't care for). Mine came with threaded fittings so no leaks....

Mine maintains 5 psi static as well and will cycle a bit driving down the road empty as the bags flex. The static pressure on my set is adjustable but I left it at 5 pounds.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:45 PM   #8

Please don't hate on me for (possibly) derailing this thread, but I'm looking into airbags as well. Being in the North (Calgary, Alberta) is there any concern of longevity of the airbag system with respect to colder climate zones? Sometimes my truck is being used in -40* weather.

Thought I'd ask those that use the systems.

J.
jcrayford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:28 PM   #9

Smile cold temp airbags

any tractor trailers or tri-axles, they have basicaly the same thing. hope this helps
Old 11-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #10

Not at all, we got off on a tangent. I live in mid-Michigan and it gets pretty cold here too, Never had any issue, They are the same bags that are used on big trucks just smaller. Same materials so you won't have any issues. The only thing to keep in mind is that the air lines are Synflex and cold makes them brittle to some extend so be sure they are secured underneath your truck (I used zip ties way back when I installed mine. The compressor lives in your truck so it's protected from the elements.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy View Post
any tractor trailers or tri-axles, they have basicaly the same thing. hope this helps
Not all but most. Conventional spring suspension is still an available option.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:42 PM   #12
Boxer

I HAVE A SET OF FIRESTONE RIDE RIDES FOR TOYOTA TURNDRA 2008-2013 FOR SALE USED ABOUT 6 MONTHS TOOK THEM OFF WHEN WENT TO DESIEL200.00 MANUAL AIR UP NO COMPRESSOR
NED AND SHARON HOLCOMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozziedodge67 View Post
Hey guys I just recently installed a airlift ultimate 5000 air bag kit along with a wireless one controller/compressor kit on my 15' 2500hd truck

If I turn the truck off for I would say more then 1 hour when I get on, turn the truck on my compressor will kick on for a few seconds????

I have checked for leaks, check the 90 degree fittings at the bags and all good:/

Not sure what is going on
Make a soap/water solution and check ALL connections, you have a leak.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesroadking View Post
I installed Firestone Air bags in my 2011 F250 Lariat 6.7 Diesel with a wireless controller back in 2012. Mounted the little compressor in my rear under seat storage area where their already was a 12 volt aux plug. (The only problem Ford has their aux power outlets always energized, if I ever have an air leak and if I'm not around).

Sure makes hitching and unhitching the trailer easier, along with a power jack on the trailer.

Going down the highways I found by raising and lower the truck a little sure makes trailer sway a thing of the past. So much so that I stopped hooking up my 15K lb. Reese hitch's anti sway / load leveling bars.

Over the winter I plan to install this same setup on my TV. You mentioned that you mounted the compressor inside your cab below the rear seat. I am considering doing the same in my F150 super crew to keep the compressor out of the Ohio winter. Did you then have to drill an access hole for air tube? Also, how noisy is that compressor? Thanks
Old 11-10-2016, 06:18 PM   #15

It's just as loud as any oil less compressor. I have mine mounted under bed of truck and hear it kick on before I start the engine while sitting in the truck. When truck is running, I can not hear it sitting in truck, but hear it standing outside.

Jack of all trades, Master on none
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:02 PM   #16

Behind the back seat, not under it and your Ford will have a rubber push plug under the carpet (behind the rear seat) you can remove to route the air line. Pretty simple really. I have an air gage mounted under the dash with a push button on switch to increase or decrease the air volume, mine is pre wireless.

My comprressor isn't loud at all, The carpet muffles it.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Please don't hate on me for (possibly) derailing this thread, but I'm looking into airbags as well. Being in the North (Calgary, Alberta) is there any concern of longevity of the airbag system with respect to colder climate zones? Sometimes my truck is being used in -40* weather.

Thought I'd ask those that use the systems.

J.

I'm in Calgary as well and I have a kit ready to install on my E-450, the instructions recommend adding 1/2 cup of air brake antifreeze to each airbag for cold climates.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:14 AM   #18

I've had Airlift 5K's for two years. I generally run them at about 12 psi unloaded and about 80 psi when towing the fiver. On occasion the compressor will run for a second or two when I start the truck but it isn't very often and usually there has been a change in the ambient air temperature which is why I haven't worried about it. I did have a problem after about a year with the control box that is located between the compressor and the bags. The gasket that seals the two parts on the unit together failed causing the compressor to run intermittently. The manufacturer replaced it no questions asked. Absolutely no problems since and I daresay we get it every bit as cold as Calgary if not colder (and without the chinooks)
6.6 Duramax / Allison 1000
Flatlander49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
I'm in Calgary as well and I have a kit ready to install on my E-450, the instructions recommend adding 1/2 cup of air brake antifreeze to each airbag for cold climates.
Air brake antifreeze is nothing more than rubbing alcohol in a fancy bottle and a half cup sounds like a lot. I typically use a pint in the tractor trailer I own that hauls grain for my farm. That is 3 axles and 6 air bags and 6 brake chambers on the trailer and 4 air bags and 6 brake chambers on the tractor.....

Put it in via the air intake on the compressor. The compressor will distribute it it throughout the system.

I've never in all the years I've had my air bags on my pickup, added any alcohol to the system and never had an issue. It has to do with entrained moisture and there is very little air being moved in your system (on your pickup) so consequently there is very little entrained moisture inside.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Make a soap/water solution and check ALL connections, you have a leak.
I'll agree, sounds like something is wrong, OR there are large drops in ambient temps.

On my '15 Silverado, during the summer, when running at minimum of 5 psi, it very seldom ever kicked on unless I set it to a higher psi.

In the winter, it came on often but I believe that was due to the ambient temps.

I would come home, park the truck in the garage and it is 50 degrees outside, next morning when it was in the 20s it would kick on for a few seconds. PSI drop 1 psi for 10 degree drop in air temps, so sitting over night and going from 50 down to 20 will cause it to kick on to get back to the min 5 psi.

Haven't had them installed long enough in my '16 to figure out how often the compressor runs in summer; however, with the temp fluctuations we have had here in the past month (65-70 in the afternoon, down to 25 during the night, it kicks on every morning when I head out.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift