Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2014, 05:23 AM   #21

So 97% of the 2015 F150's body is going to be aluminum, it will be something to see the crash ratings.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:35 AM   #22

the carbon steel they use in autobodys is not a cheap metal. probably on a par with aluminum. i would imagine they are using a tempered aluminum alloy with a certain amount of pliability so it will bend to a certain degree before cracking. the panels in todays cars, and cars of the future will be throw away items. as labor gets higher and manufactuing technology gets more advanced, it will be cheaper to just recycle the body panels. look where cnc technology has taken us. i have been working on the idea of a plastic engine that glues together and can be dis carded and replaced cheaply. almost 0 machining, injection molded block and heads, very few bolts and fasteners, very cheap to produce. thats all im going to share. ford is staying at the very top of things. cudos to them for not getting in the over spending mode, and seeing the crash coming. they have fared well. very smart management.
wpredock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #23
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
700 pounds doesn't sound like a big deal to me. That's the same weight as a couple fat girlfriends...The road salt in my neck of the woods will burn through that aluminum even faster than a Yugo fender...All in all I'm not going to wait in line for one. I'm thinking composite would have been a much better choice.

700 lbs is freaking HUGE in automotive weight savings. Hell, there are engineers that would sell their mothers into slavery to save 70 lbs on a car.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Fyi. Oppps ?

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/a...ops-mettle.ece

TURBS

golf cart safety instructor
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #25

our planes corrode pretty fast in the southern citys we are based out of, and that is from the salt air , not the road salt. since airports do not use salt on taxiways or runways. cant expect a alum truck to last very long unless they cadplate the entire thing and you never can get it scratched, alcad and primer with paint only go so far

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #26

Door dings and PDR dents are the scary part of it all. A $50 dent repair will turn into a $2000 door replacement when someone wants a dent removed... or mud it over, that'll be great
ridersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #27

Just echoing what has already been said. Higher costs for repairs, panels, additional training and equipment for the body shop side, longer repairs means higher insurance costs, paint-ability issues and dis-similar metal problems. All to name a few things that are going to have to be over come, all to save 700lbs....hmmm. I would have thought a carbon fiber or similar composite would have been a better choice but what do I know..!

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:49 PM   #28

The interesting facts about it all:
2014 GM was already 300 pounds lighter than the current 2014 F-150
The 700 pounds savings is in a 6'6" crew cab and the fact that it will be without the heavier 6.2L being not available. All said and done a run of the mill shortbox crew cab is likely to be within 200 pounds of its competitors using steel.
So 200 pounds lighter and less powerful engine lineups.

This was a PR marketing spin that's not likely to have much consumer benefit, just higher repair costs.

But then again, I'm a GM dealer... so I may have some bias lol
ridersfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f150