Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawga View Post

Without trailer
FT AXLE 2480LBS
REAR AXLE 2740 LBS

With andersen hitch with no tension on chains
FT AXLE 2280LBS
REAR AXLE 3480LBS
TRAILER AXLE 3240LBS

With andersen hitch with only 1/4" compression on chains
FT AXLE 2360LBS
REAR AXLE 3380LBS
TRAILER AXLE 3260LBS

To me this is an inadequate amount of weight distribution. For a fairly light tongue weight of 540 LBS it only put 80 LBS back onto the steer wheels of the tow vehicle.

As it was mentioned earlier in this thread, this hitch can/will work for shorter and lighter weight trailers as the weight distribution part of it isn't as critical.

The numbers are only part of the equation though, if it works and actually pulls nicely for you that's what truly matters! I have plenty of faith that the anti sway portion of it would work well for 20'ish and shorter campers but anything larger may be harder to control IMO.

I am glad that this setup has worked well for a number of you my fellow campers but after reading here and investigating I don't feel that this would be a wise investment on my part...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawga View Post
Ok so people are asking to see scale numbers so here we go. I did not tighten the chains anymore after weighing with just 1/4" compression on the bushing because it put me within the weight limit of the hitch. I had pulled the same trailer without any WDH on the interstate and it moved all over the place when cars or trucks went by. With the andersen WDH installed the trailer hardly moved at all. When coming back from the campsite I did compress the bushings to their max and the ride was a lot worse. It felt like there was too much weight off the hitch. Also keep in mind I don't drive too much over 60 mph because the gas mileage drops so much after that. My trailer is around 21' long including the rear bumper. Also without the WDH the difference between the front and rear height was 2 & 1/2" and with the WDH at 1/4" bushing compression it was 1 & 1/2". And like I said when I compressed the bushings even more it felt like there wasn't enough weight on the trailer hitch. I was worried about the whole tongue latch also, but I figure the chances of this breaking vs having a tire blowout is much smaller. Things are going to happen regardless of how much precaution is taken. What I mean by that is something is bound to fail, if it didn't why would we need safety chains, oh that's right the tongue itself could fail :-) Just a bit of humor at the end sorry. Had to lighten things up here. Just a note I will be weighing each time we go out since I don't want to exceed the trailer or vehicle capacity. I also use a P3 brake controller. My tow vehicle is a 2005 Ford Explorer 4dr 2wd V8.

Without trailer
FT AXLE 2480LBS
REAR AXLE 2740 LBS

With andersen hitch with no tension on chains
FT AXLE 2280LBS
REAR AXLE 3480LBS
TRAILER AXLE 3240LBS

With andersen hitch with only 1/4" compression on chains
FT AXLE 2360LBS
REAR AXLE 3380LBS
TRAILER AXLE 3260LBS
You are so close to having all of the correct data.
You have weights in all of the 3 conditions. But this shows you have not returned all of the lost front weight. You then increased the tension on the chains...but you didn't tell us the FT AXLE weight in that condition.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, and with MAX tension, the Anderson has pushed the FT AXLE weight to 2600 lbs. I doubt it. But we don't know. Maybe that's why you don't like the ride quality. You don't want to just crank it to the max. you want to intentionally adjust it until the FT AXLE weight is back to the original 2480 lbs.

If you are not able to easily get back to the scales, just repeat all of your conditions, but use front wheel well height. Until then, there will still be questions about whether the Anderson can deliver on the true intent of any good WDH kit.

Thanks for your effort. Anything additional would be greatly appreciated.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #23

Yeah wasnt anywhere near a CAT scale when I cranked it down all the way. The next time we go camping I was planning on getting the scale weight to see if I can transfer all the weight back to the front wheels, but it will probably be a month or so before we go out again. Will post the data when I get it. Didnt criss my mind to measure when I did crank down on the chains but was in a rush to get home. The thinking was if it rode that good at 1/4 compression then the max just has to be better, haha oh well. Till next trip.
jawga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #24

The adjustability is what I do like about it and will take it in increments next time to get it right
jawga is offline   Reply With Quote