Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2016, 08:43 AM   #1

Andersen Hitches

Hi all,

I have an Anderson Hitch setup that I used on a 2013 F150 with the max tow package pulling a trailer when loaded is just under 8000 lbs. With my 2013 F150 it towed behind me really nice. I have since traded that truck for a 2016 F150 King Ranch with the same max tow setup. I haven't towed the trailer yet but I noticed when I hooked up the trailer to move it, it sat the new truck down a lot more than the 2013. Now I know they went to aluminum and took out roughly 700 lbs but it also looks like they took out a leaf spring. This one sits lower unloaded than my other one did loaded with the trailer attached. Plus, I had to go from 4 1/2 turns on the Anderson hitch nuts to 6 1/2 turns to tighten the chains.

Anyone else out there noticed this same situation? I'm thinking of putting my old setup back on the trailer. I might tow this first just to see how it works on this truck. I have a trip of about 300 miles round trip coming up. For some reason I feel uneasy about this setup with this truck.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:06 AM   #2

Did your 2013 also have heavy duty package? That would make a big difference in the payload capacity.

(2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost traded)
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #3

No, neither truck had the max payload package, they both have the max towing package.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebolt View Post
Hi all,

I have an Anderson Hitch setup that I used on a 2013 F150 with the max tow package pulling a trailer when loaded is just under 8000 lbs. With my 2013 F150 it towed behind me really nice. I have since traded that truck for a 2016 F150 King Ranch with the same max tow setup. I haven't towed the trailer yet but I noticed when I hooked up the trailer to move it, it sat the new truck down a lot more than the 2013. Now I know they went to aluminum and took out roughly 700 lbs but it also looks like they took out a leaf spring. This one sits lower unloaded than my other one did loaded with the trailer attached. Plus, I had to go from 4 1/2 turns on the Anderson hitch nuts to 6 1/2 turns to tighten the chains.

Anyone else out there noticed this same situation? I'm thinking of putting my old setup back on the trailer. I might tow this first just to see how it works on this truck. I have a trip of about 300 miles round trip coming up. For some reason I feel uneasy about this setup with this truck.
Don't have your setup, but as told by Dave Andersen, don't worry about cranking down on the nuts. I have 9 threads showing on my setup, in sig and it tows beautifully. If I put air in the bags then I have to compensate with fewer turns, but nit drastic. Now if you can't return some weight back to the front, then you have an issue.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Don't have your setup, but as told by Dave Andersen, don't worry about cranking down on the nuts. I have 9 threads showing on my setup, in sig and it tows beautifully. If I put air in the bags then I have to compensate with fewer turns, but nit drastic. Now if you can't return some weight back to the front, then you have an issue.
Thanks for the reply. I'll being towing around June 9th so I'll see how it goes.

Tags
hitch