Old 10-01-2019, 06:02 PM   #1

Andersen shank question

This might be a dumb question, but which hole should I use when mounting the shank of my Andersen No Sway WD hitch? I can slide the shank in all the way and use that hole, or pull it out 2-3" and there's another hole. I assume either is acceptable, and determined by the required distance from ball and TV? Is this correct?
HotBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:38 PM   #2
Multi-Slacker

Either position works (I know from experience). I, too, assume that one would only use the furthest out position to ameliorate jackknifing issues.
2018 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L, 4:10 rear
CurtPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
Either position works (I know from experience). I, too, assume that one would only use the furthest out position to ameliorate jackknifing issues.

I'm of the opposite mind, I would run the hole that allows the ball to be as close to the rear of the TV as possible without making contact so as to reduce the leverage put on the TV by the trailer tongue weight. The further from the rear axle the more leverage is put on the TV.

But, ultimately, use whichever one works best for your setup. I don't think there's any right answer...unless Andersen says there is. I'm not seeing any reference to which hole is recommended in their install guides. I've been using the hole that puts the ball closest to my truck's rear axle with my Andersen hitch.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
I'm not seeing any reference to which hole is recommended in their install guides.
I don't see anything in the install guides either, which prompted me to ask the question.

When installing the brackets on your trailer, did you install the bolt heads on the outside or the nuts? The install guides say to have the bolt heads outside, but the newest Andersen install video on YT specifically says to do it the opposite way. The explanation is to prevent the bracket from walking back while tightening the nut, but I think that is exactly what you would want.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:06 AM   #5
Rookie

I asked a similar question in another thread, as I too am curious. Someone posted that the further out the shank is, the more bounce may be felt (makes sense). In my case, with my spare the swing out arm, I may have to mount it so the shank/ball sticks out further so I will be able to open my hatch with the trailer attached.Click image for larger version

Name:	0528181312c_HDR.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	216421
Old 10-02-2019, 07:36 AM   #6

The closer the ball is to the rear axle, the more stable the rig. That's why a fifth-wheel is so stable. Use the hole that brings the ball closest to the rear axle, unless that causes interference with any components during turning.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:41 AM   #7

I must have an older model. I got mine in 2018 and there’s only one hole for the hitch pin in mine.
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotBacon View Post
I don't see anything in the install guides either, which prompted me to ask the question.

When installing the brackets on your trailer, did you install the bolt heads on the outside or the nuts? The install guides say to have the bolt heads outside, but the newest Andersen install video on YT specifically says to do it the opposite way. The explanation is to prevent the bracket from walking back while tightening the nut, but I think that is exactly what you would want.

I have the bolt heads on the outside and the nuts inside. If you hold the bolt still and only wrench the nut then the bolt won't walk the plates anywhere.

So far I've been really happy with the Andersen, I replaced a Fastway e2 with it. The e2 worked well enough but I was having problems with the brackets shifting on the trailer frame and the weight of the hitch head was aggravating a back injury and the Andersen killed 2 birds with 1 stone.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:50 AM   #9
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
I'm of the opposite mind, I would run the hole that allows the ball to be as close to the rear of the TV as possible without making contact so as to reduce the leverage put on the TV by the trailer tongue weight. The further from the rear axle the more leverage is put on the TV.

But, ultimately, use whichever one works best for your setup. I don't think there's any right answer...unless Andersen says there is. I'm not seeing any reference to which hole is recommended in their install guides. I've been using the hole that puts the ball closest to my truck's rear axle with my Andersen hitch.
I do not think we are of opposite minds on this. What I wrote must not have been clear. To restate, I believe the ball should be as close to the receiver as possible as long as no components will be damaged during turns.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #10
D W

Here's a novel concept: Set your hitch up so you can open the tailgate of your TV. More and more, I see folks that short-shank their set-ups and can't open their tailgates when hitched.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:01 PM   #11
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Here's a novel concept: Set your hitch up so you can open the tailgate of your TV. More and more, I see folks that short-shank their set-ups and can't open their tailgates when hitched.
Cannot do it with our TV and TT
Old 10-02-2019, 02:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Here's a novel concept.
That's what I thought the second hole was for. But as I pondered it, I could see the leverage differences and everything else mentioned by others. Which is why I asked the question in the first place.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:19 AM   #13
Rookie

I definitely needed the second hole to bring the shank out further. I can get a tiny bit of swing, just enough to open the glass, but there's no way I can get my tailgate open with the trailer hitched. At full right turns, the the contacts the propane tank cover.Click image for larger version

Name:	1015191334_HDR.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	217380