Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2017, 08:53 PM   #1

Andersen Ultimate Feedback Requested

I am researching the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch made to mount to my existing rails. I have read and researched this forum and much of the info is a year or two old. There is new info also but from the threads it is clear this hitch has been out a while.

I ran across a thread which is recurring whenever someone wants to use a gooseneck type connections. There is always the nay sayers worried about extra torques, damaging the kingpin, 500 lbs here, 500 lbs there and etc.

Here is my question for only people who use or have used the Anderson Ultimate or an earlier version of that hitch. Have you had a failure? Did it damage your kingpin in anyway? Did your RV mfgr void your warranty? How long have you used it? Was your RV unstable?

I'm not a mechanical engineer so I'm not looking to debate physics but just looking for real world experience.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:35 PM   #2

I bought the Andersen ultimate with my coachmen chaparral and was very weary about it at first. Now that I've had it over a year and now have a heavier jayco toy hauler. I believe in this hitch I have been told personally from jayco it will not void my warranty same with coachmen. The hitch makes a world of difference compared to a normal fifthwheel hitch. I love it and would never go to anything else unless I buy something heavier that the Andersen can't handle the pin weight. It is so easy and convenient to take out and when people see it they always are intrigued about it. Honestly it is not a gooseneck hitch at all it is more of a fifthwheel hitch. That is attached to my old camper
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1484526928620.jpg
Views:	980
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	128109  
Old 01-15-2017, 09:03 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.mcintosh40 View Post
I bought the Andersen ultimate with my coachmen chaparral and was very weary about it at first. Now that I've had it over a year and now have a heavier jayco toy hauler. I believe in this hitch I have been told personally from jayco it will not void my warranty same with coachmen. The hitch makes a world of difference compared to a normal fifthwheel hitch. I love it and would never go to anything else unless I buy something heavier that the Andersen can't handle the pin weight. It is so easy and convenient to take out and when people see it they always are intrigued about it. Honestly it is not a gooseneck hitch at all it is more of a fifthwheel hitch. That is attached to my old camper
Could you expand on that statement?
Does it actually pull better or are you simply referring to weight?

Sent from Timz G7

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:44 PM   #4

I just purchased the Pullrite ISR Series SuperLite 20K | Fifth Wheel Hitches by PullRite

Which is similar except the cup is on the hitch and the ball is on the pin box. I did a write up posted under cedar creek 5th wheels.

IMO the ball and cup is superior. 360 degree flexible angularity, very quiet, smooth due to closer tolerances. In addition no kingpin/clamp binding because the retaining pin is near the top of the ball to prevent vertical movement.

As soon as I saw the Pullrite I dumped my plate.

The ball and cup design is extremely strong and found anywhere you need strength and flexibility such as ball joints on cars, tractors etc.
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:00 AM   #5

Summing up of what I was trying to get at. Yes it pulls alot better in my opinion then your conventional fifth wheel hitch. It reduces a lot of the chucking I have traveled over very rough roads with it through Michigan is horrible roads and could hardly tell it was back there, also no worrying on turns, tilts, ECT.i do not have the chains have been thinking of getting them but my opinion on that is God help me if it ever comes loose all the chains are going to do is either brake or worse flip you. Not a big fan of the idea.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Summing up of what I was trying to get at. Yes it pulls alot better in my opinion then your conventional fifth wheel hitch. It reduces a lot of the chucking I have traveled over very rough roads with it through Michigan is horrible roads and could hardly tell it was back there, also no worrying on turns, tilts, ECT.i do not have the chains have been thinking of getting them but my opinion on that is God help me if it ever comes loose all the chains are going to do is either brake or worse flip you. Not a big fan of the idea.
Concur with your thinking and experience and I agree on the chains. If an event occurred the chains could be your worst enemy.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
I just purchased the Pullrite ISR Series SuperLite 20K | Fifth Wheel Hitches by PullRite

Which is similar except the cup is on the hitch and the ball is on the pin box. I did a write up posted under cedar creek 5th wheels.

IMO the ball and cup is superior. 360 degree flexible angularity, very quiet, smooth due to closer tolerances. In addition no kingpin/clamp binding because the retaining pin is near the top of the ball to prevent vertical movement.

As soon as I saw the Pullrite I dumped my plate.

The ball and cup design is extremely strong and found anywhere you need strength and flexibility such as ball joints on cars, tractors etc.
17 Oaks, I saw the Pullrite a while back. My question is does it have any offset? I could not find any info on their website. The Andersen has 9" of offset. Probably won't be able to do 90 degree turns but will get close. With my Reese plate I probably get to 80 degrees or so as my 33IK CC has the molded cap to give clearance.

I have a slider but have never needed to use it. I'm just looking for something light so I can take it out myself.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I see your point about chains. If you did use the chains, where do you attach them and then are they clanging around in the bed of your truck...

Old 01-16-2017, 10:15 PM   #9
Site Team

I have towed my trailer 10, 588 miles using the steel version of the Andersen Ultimate hitch. I have had absolutely no issues with the hitch, the trailer nor the TV. My BIL uses a standard 5th wheel slider hitch and is amazed at how smooth and quiet my hitch operates. He says mine has none of the chucking on starts and stops that his does. I've never touched my TV's rear window although my BIL broke his out.

EDIT: I DO use chains. They attach to my B&W Turnover Ball spring loaded bed loops installed in case I ever want to tow a gooseneck hay (etc.) trailer. Some states appear to require them and I don't want to take the risk of a ticket.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
17 Oaks, I saw the Pullrite a while back. My question is does it have any offset? I could not find any info on their website. The Andersen has 9" of offset. Probably won't be able to do 90 degree turns but will get close. With my Reese plate I probably get to 80 degrees or so as my 33IK CC has the molded cap to give clearance.

I have a slider but have never needed to use it. I'm just looking for something light so I can take it out myself.
Yes it has an offset. I think around +/- 4 in, or so. I have a long bed so no issues and I could do a full 90 degrees if need be.

This unit weight is 52 lbs in steel.

Loading/unloading is a dream.

After looking at the Anderson I prefer the Pullrite.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:01 PM   #11

No failures to report, just good towing experiences. I have not gone to chains yet but with an upcoming trip out West I will get them just to avoid any conflicts with the law.
I have done a lot of research on the Andersen and have yet to see where anyone traded a Andersen for the traditional plate setup.
Nights Camped: 2017=61
Nights Camped: 2018=25
Nights Camped: 2019=12 | Booked=6
florabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by florabama View Post
No failures to report, just good towing experiences. I have not gone to chains yet but with an upcoming trip out West I will get them just to avoid any conflicts with the law.
I have done a lot of research on the Andersen and have yet to see where anyone traded a Andersen for the traditional plate setup.
Just how would you add chains that would allow for a 90 degree L/R radius and be attached to the frame?
Old 01-19-2017, 10:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Just how would you add chains that would allow for a 90 degree L/R radius and be attached to the frame?
First off I don't plan on any 90 degree turns; puts too much strain on the wheels and axels. Chains hook to the in bed RAM factory pucks; the hook inserts came with my gooseneck ball.
Nights Camped: 2017=61
Nights Camped: 2018=25
Nights Camped: 2019=12 | Booked=6
florabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
My B&W undermount hitch has 2 chain loops through the bed and through the undermount. The chains drop straight down from the king pin connector with their hooks through the loops.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:21 PM   #15

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I am one of the few who tried the Andersen Ultimate Aluminum II and then "went back". I really wanted it to work, but it created too many negatives that I would've had to either address or live with.

First issue was that it did not go as low as my current hitch (B&W Companion). My trailer sits perfectly level with my Companion at it's lowest height. I knew this beforehand but was hoping it wouldn't be too bad. Unfortunately, even with the Andersen at it's lowest setting, the trailer sat much further out of level than I had hoped it would be.

Next was the offset. With the ball socket set to the "default" front side, the pin box would hit the side rails of my rollback bed cover during turns. With it set to the rearward position I would have trailer/cab clearance issues as I have a shortbed (and use a pinbox mounted bike rack).

I also found it slightly more difficult (although not hard) to line up for hook up. Full disclosure here, I am a former truck driver and have hooked MANY 5th wheel hitches. I find them a little easier to hitch than ball/sockets.

I didn't care for the release cable...there's got to be a better way. I wish it could come straight out the back side and/or be easily shortened. Maybe a 90° attachment at the pin/socket adapter end?

My trucks 7 way plug is in the bumper. With the Companion, the trailers cord is absolutely the perfect length and rides with NO issues. With the Andersen's socket set to the forward position (trailer further from the cab), the trailers cord would need to be shortened, tied up, or something. It had just a tad too much length.

I was never too thrilled about the additional 5 or 6 inches the trailer needs to be raised for every hook/unhook.

I did not notice ANY difference in towing as far as chucking, noises, etc. Note though, that the B&W 5th wheel hitch is already one of the best available and well regarded as one that "doesn't cause chucking", "doesn't make noise", etc.

All of these things were minor and could have been addressed, but the only thing I was gaining was the weight savings. I decided it just wasn't worth it. I was (and still am) very disappointed. The Andersen Ultimate is an awesome hitch that just didn't quite work for my particular setup.

I hope this information helps the OP make an informed decision.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
I am one of the few who tried the Andersen Ultimate Aluminum II and then "went back". I really wanted it to work, but it created too many negatives that I would've had to either address or live with.

First issue was that it did not go as low as my current hitch (B&W Companion). My trailer sits perfectly level with my Companion at it's lowest height. I knew this beforehand but was hoping it wouldn't be too bad. Unfortunately, even with the Andersen at it's lowest setting, the trailer sat much further out of level than I had hoped it would be.

Next was the offset. With the ball socket set to the "default" front side, the pin box would hit the side rails of my rollback bed cover during turns. With it set to the rearward position I would have trailer/cab clearance issues as I have a shortbed (and use a pinbox mounted bike rack).

I also found it slightly more difficult (although not hard) to line up for hook up. Full disclosure here, I am a former truck driver and have hooked MANY 5th wheel hitches. I find them a little easier to hitch than ball/sockets.

I didn't care for the release cable...there's got to be a better way. I wish it could come straight out the back side and/or be easily shortened. Maybe a 90° attachment at the pin/socket adapter end?

My trucks 7 way plug is in the bumper. With the Companion, the trailers cord is absolutely the perfect length and rides with NO issues. With the Andersen's socket set to the forward position (trailer further from the cab), the trailers cord would need to be shortened, tied up, or something. It had just a tad too much length.

I was never too thrilled about the additional 5 or 6 inches the trailer needs to be raised for every hook/unhook.

I did not notice ANY difference in towing as far as chucking, noises, etc. Note though, that the B&W 5th wheel hitch is already one of the best available and well regarded as one that "doesn't cause chucking", "doesn't make noise", etc.

All of these things were minor and could have been addressed, but the only thing I was gaining was the weight savings. I decided it just wasn't worth it. I was (and still am) very disappointed. The Andersen Ultimate is an awesome hitch that just didn't quite work for my particular setup.

Thanks for the detailed review. I have pretty much decided to stay with my slider. Have had it over a year, works fine for me. The main reason I was looking at the Andersen is ease of removal but I can always get help if I need to take my slider out.

The real negative for me though for the Andersen became all the discussion of using chains. Seems to be some issues there and I don't want to deal with chains clanging around in the bed of my truck.

Thank you to all who have contributed to this thread...

Old 01-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post

Green, other than your short bed challenge (I have long bed) your issues would be overcome on each of your points with the Pullrite...
Old 01-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #18

Actually all his problems would of been solved by calling Andersen and they would of traded his hitch out for the low profile hitch for flat bed trucks. They wouldn't have charged him a dollar heard from many people they do it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 01-20-2017, 07:12 PM   #19

Quote:
See pictures of my setup. Modified the chains to have a hook on each end which allows me to easily remove them when not needed and store inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	128367  
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:33 PM   #20

Here's my problem with chains. 7000 pound truck 14,000 pound fifth wheel. You have lost control and guess who wins?