Old 08-20-2017, 06:21 PM   #1

Andersen WDH w/sway control on a 1905 MiniLite...

Hi, question on a wdh/sway set up.

Trailer ordered, but is not in yet, Rockwood Mini Lite 1905, gonna tow with '16 Ford F150 supercab 6.5 bed... 2wd, with factory tow and oem brake control.

At first I thought, I won't need a wdh, then, reading all kinds of info I came to the conclusion that it may be a good idea to set it up right from the start from a liability viewpoint as well as no white knuckle interstate adventures.

Not that cost is no object, but buy cheap buy twice... been there and done that.

So, with all options on the table, I'm looking hard at the Andersen... the design and the no noise got me interested.

With the single axle 1905, and when towing we will not have trailer "loaded" no water in any tanks, and any load in pickup bed will be ahead of the axle, any drawbacks to the Andersen?

I want to not have any bounce on choppy hiways or sway from air pushed from big rigs or strong wind gusts...

The Andersen looks like a clean, unbulky set up.

I have to say, the first thing I thought of with the Andersen is what will stop the trailer tongue hitch lock from not slipping on the ball as a normal ball set up does, but I think I see how the ball is "loaded" in the coupling so the built in sway friction of the ball mount will work, then I thought the trailer frame brackets may slide on the frame rails... I do not want to drill holes or weld on the frame to keep them in place.

Anyone with a Mini Lite single axle towing with a half ton have an Andersen set up that can give some input on whether you like it or go with another brand?

Thanks!!
6CatDaddy
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #2

The Andersen is supposed to be very good for sway control, but not very good for weight distribution. That is, it will distribute lost weight back to the front wheels, but if the trailer is taking up most of the truck's capacity, it can't transfer all lost weight.

That said, the 1905 is 2761 dry, and GVWR is only 3892. I suspect you can keep it to around 3600 lbs without trying too hard. Behind an F150, you aren't using much of it's capacity.

I'm not a big fan of the Andersen, for most situations. But in this case, it's probably ideal for this combination. But be aware, you have a truck that can probably handle a good bit more trailer. If you do trade up to something heavier, you should also considering trading up to another WDH kit, like the Equal-i-zer, Blue Ox, etc.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:36 AM   #3

Thanks for the help!

I am pretty sure the 1905 will be as big as we will go, as I can keep a trailer that size at home in the driveway... keep an eye on it, haha.

I looked at just about all the different wdh's out there, on the web and Youtube, and it was coming down to the BlueOx, or the Anderson.

What you said about the lighter weight of the 1905, is how I was looking at it, made me think the Anderson would be ok... looks a lot less bulky.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:42 PM   #4

I use an Anderson WDH on my 233s and I love it. It's easy to setup, hook up and unhook. It's quiet, and light as well. thebrakeman is right though, at least in my particular setup, it doesn't seem to distribute the weight as much as I'd like it to, but I'm happy with it for our setup. You won't be disappointed with it for yours I don't think. I don't have my brackets welded nor did I drill holes in the frame, just set the setscrew and marked where the brackets are. They haven't budged a bit, and it's just past 3 years since I've had our tt. There are plenty of options out there, but for lighter trailers, I'd recommend Anderson anytime.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:21 PM   #5

A New Twist...

Thanks for the responses!

Doesn't it seem like anything you research on the web, ...takes up the entire day! Haha.

I called the RV dealer we have the 1905 ordered from, just so when it comes in and I go to pick it up, everything we need to drive outta there will be available... the sales mgr, now he could have went along and sold me top dollar wdh's, Andersen, Blue Ox etc., but he tells me that the 1905 Mini Lite behind my '16 F150, (with factory tow) would not need a wdh, only a stand alone friction sway controller. Claims similar units sold being pulled by 1/2 tons pickups barely create any "squat", and ths sway control bar should be all I need.

He said to put the wdh set up on, with the 1905, that has low tongue wgt, 400 lbs, would create more issues than it would solve.

So, now I have that to think about... I will say, he should know, it is a very reputable dealer that has been around for years, and we will not have any more than 2 camp chairs, bicicles, maybe a cooler in the pickup... no water in any tanks on the trailer traveling... plus not much weight stowed in the trailer.
Anything heavier, like a generater, would be in the front of the bed of the pickup, should we need it.

I guess we will have to give it a shot with just the sway bar...

Anyone have a similar set up using just the sway bar and no wdh with a 3000 to 3800lb single axle?
Old 08-22-2017, 08:52 AM   #6

Well, we were going off your OP. But for probably the only time EVER, I tend to agree with your dealer here.

Ford (and most OEM's) say you need a WDH on a truck or SUV when TW exceeds 500 lbs. You want 10-15% of loaded trailer weight on the ball. 3892 * 12.5% = 487 lbs.

Try it with the friction sway controller alone! If you don't like it, you can always order the Andersen later.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Well, we were going off your OP. But for probably the only time EVER, I tend to agree with your dealer here.

Ford (and most OEM's) say you need a WDH on a truck or SUV when TW exceeds 500 lbs. You want 10-15% of loaded trailer weight on the ball. 3892 * 12.5% = 487 lbs.

Try it with the friction sway controller alone! If you don't like it, you can always order the Andersen later.
Thanks for posting! It sure is nice to get input through forums from people with experience!

Yeah, we will give it a shot with just the sway bar first and can always add equipment once we see how it handles.

I am still surprised/glad that the dealer said about probably NOT needing the wdh.

So many places these days are out to sell you everything... made me feel pretty good when the fella told me I wouldn't need to spend money on the wdh.

When we get on the road I will post how she does with just the sway bar.

Take care!
Old 08-22-2017, 01:45 PM   #8

We have a 2016 Dodge RAM 1/2 ton with a crew cab and a 318 v-8 and we pull a 2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109s without a wdh. With the Dexter axles on the Mini Lite we had no sway issues. That said, the 2109s has tandem axles, where the 1905 has a single. We took our rig from NC to ND this summer, and it pulled like a dream. Kept the speed around 65mph, and had no cross wind issues from the prairie wind or passing semi's. We love our Mini Lite, and hope you will love yours!
cuselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #9

Look at the Hensley . WD and sway control. I've had one for the last 5000 miles of 7300 lb., 33' 29IKTS towing with a MaxTow Expedition EL, and I'll never have anything else for a hitch! Their support after the sale is great, too.

Randy (& Elaine) Corbin
georandycorbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:58 PM   #10

I love my anderson WDH, i tow with a range rover sport, (short wheel base) tows very smooth, and very straight and most of all, feels very in control, even in hard cross winds.
I chose this hitch fot the amazing anti-sway, zero noise, and adjustable, range rovers are active 4 wheel air ride, so the adjustability is great with my setup. , my old bars would cause a porpus effect on any road but the smoothest, that is 100% gone.
Coreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6CatDaddy View Post
Thanks for the help!

I am pretty sure the 1905 will be as big as we will go, as I can keep a trailer that size at home in the driveway... keep an eye on it, haha.

I looked at just about all the different wdh's out there, on the web and Youtube, and it was coming down to the BlueOx, or the Anderson.

What you said about the lighter weight of the 1905, is how I was looking at it, made me think the Anderson would be ok... looks a lot less bulky.
I used an Andersen on our previous (27 foot travel) trailer. Would still be using it but, we decided that we wanted to go to a 5er. The Andersen worked very well for our trailer. I think you would be very happy with an Andersen. If you decide to go with an Andersen I still have mine. Maybe we could make a deal.
98 days camping 2017 98 days camping 2018
94 days camping 2019 49 days camping 2020
Wayne Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:24 PM   #12

Andersen No Sway

We had the Anderson on a MicroLite 21FBRS and were very satisfied with it.
Very easy to use, clean and quite effective. Customer service excellent, and I would buy one again. No need to weld any brackets, use the included pins.
In my experience I would not tow with out one, even though you have a fairly light trailer. Swaying caused by wind, or passing trucks will move you around!
Hensley is very good but overkill in your application.
Henboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:30 PM   #13

Two things hopefully without sounding jerk-ish

1 you will want more trailer unless you decide RVing isnt for you for some reason . WE ALL DO hahaha

2 no matter what hitch you decide a single axle trailer is prone to trailering like crap with that said I highly recommend some type of sway control. Anything that light with only 1 axle and flat billboards on the sides is going to be very susceptible to wind and passing big rigs

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:20 PM   #14
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

x2 for Andersen. Used it towing our previous 24' 5000# Kodiac TT behind our MB 450GL. Put about 20,000 towed miles before we traded up to a fifth wheel. The Andersen performed as well as advertised and its still in use today on my BIL's 28' TT.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
Two things hopefully without sounding jerk-ish

1 you will want more trailer unless you decide RVing isnt for you for some reason . WE ALL DO hahaha

2 no matter what hitch you decide a single axle trailer is prone to trailering like crap with that said I highly recommend some type of sway control. Anything that light with only 1 axle and flat billboards on the sides is going to be very susceptible to wind and passing big rigs
Haha, I hear ya.

Hey if space at home was not an issue I'd have a diesel dually and a 35 foot 5er.

Nah, we have had big tt in the past. Only used at seasonal sites, did no travelling... just me and the bride now, she is the camper and she would have been happy to go out yonder in a popup.

I wanted the solid sides, I think the 1905 will be just what we need...

We'll be "glampin it up" in our single axle.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6CatDaddy View Post
Hi, question on a wdh/sway set up.

Trailer ordered, but is not in yet, Rockwood Mini Lite 1905, gonna tow with '16 Ford F150 supercab 6.5 bed... 2wd, with factory tow and oem brake control.

At first I thought, I won't need a wdh, then, reading all kinds of info I came to the conclusion that it may be a good idea to set it up right from the start from a liability viewpoint as well as no white knuckle interstate adventures.

Not that cost is no object, but buy cheap buy twice... been there and done that.

So, with all options on the table, I'm looking hard at the Andersen... the design and the no noise got me interested.

With the single axle 1905, and when towing we will not have trailer "loaded" no water in any tanks, and any load in pickup bed will be ahead of the axle, any drawbacks to the Andersen?

I want to not have any bounce on choppy hiways or sway from air pushed from big rigs or strong wind gusts...

The Andersen looks like a clean, unbulky set up.

I have to say, the first thing I thought of with the Andersen is what will stop the trailer tongue hitch lock from not slipping on the ball as a normal ball set up does, but I think I see how the ball is "loaded" in the coupling so the built in sway friction of the ball mount will work, then I thought the trailer frame brackets may slide on the frame rails... I do not want to drill holes or weld on the frame to keep them in place.

Anyone with a Mini Lite single axle towing with a half ton have an Andersen set up that can give some input on whether you like it or go with another brand?

Thanks!!
6CatDaddy
I have a 2017 FR 1905 MINI LITE that I pull with a 1/2 ton pick up and I have the equal-li-zer WDH and could not be happier. Great smooth ride with no bounce. I've had other WDH and would always go back to the Equal-li-zer brand!
Steamboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboat View Post
I have a 2017 FR 1905 MINI LITE that I pull with a 1/2 ton pick up and I have the equal-li-zer WDH and could not be happier. Great smooth ride with no bounce. I've had other WDH and would always go back to the Equal-li-zer brand!
Was anything on the 1905's frame in the way to mount the spring bar brackets?

Gas bottles, battery tray?

Is the Equal i zer noisey, and with the 1905 being lite, does it work well for sway?
Old 08-22-2017, 09:28 PM   #18

Nothing in the way to attach the Equal-Li-zer. And also no noise. A great WDH. Sway control built into the 4point system. Like I said I would not buy any other brand.
Steamboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:33 AM   #19

Yet Another Twist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboat View Post
Nothing in the way to attach the Equal-Li-zer. And also no noise. A great WDH. Sway control built into the 4point system. Like I said I would not buy any other brand.
Steamboat, thanks.

I am all over the place with this post from the original question, but...

The dealer did say he thought a wdh would be overkill, and all I would need would be the friction sway bar and I gave it a lot of thought, and thought about what all replies have told me...

To tell the truth, I do not want to drill any holes or weld anything to or on the frame of the 1905. It has the box style frame and self tapping screws do not have much to bite into, and I don't want anything welded on.

So, in the event we do have some extra weight in the pickup box, or in the trailer, I am leaning toward wdh. I looked at a ton, and the original intent of this whole post was about the Andersen, however I think I am leaning towards the Equal i zer. I am kind of wierd about not greasing anything that turns or slides metal to metal, the Anderson claims no grease needed, but I would feel better knowing everything back there is slipping and sliding with lube in between... that is why I am leaning Equal i zer.

Your set up is about what mine will be, what weight equalizer do you have for yours? I put the numbers in on the Equal i zer site and it spit out the 1000/10,000 set up, which seemed high to me. I don't want to have it too stiff. (no comments about that please)

I would appreciate if you can say what #'s you have for yours. It would be a big help especially since it is close to what we will have.

Thanks!
6CD
Old 08-23-2017, 10:53 AM   #20

With that truck and TT I'd just opt for a friction bar if anything.. I towed my sons Clipper which is about the same size with only one axle as well, using my ram 2500 and of course it was like towing my 5x10 utility trailer full of 3/4 minus. Easy. My son tows his Clipper with a Pathfinder. Not sure what year but it still has the full frame under it. He just uses a standard EAZ lift with one friction bar. Tows great. I've ridden in the Pathfinder with him and it feels really stable. I will say though that he's on the limit with payload, so he's ditching the EAZ-Lift and going with an Andersen. I used one on our prior TT with the same Ram 2500 and loved it. It's also a lot lighter than the EAZ-Lift which will help.
Just me, but I wouldn't use anything at 1st. I'd just tow it home and see how it feels. That truck is plenty of truck for that TT. As long as you have enough tongue weight you will have zero issues with sway.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, sway