Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2021, 12:07 AM   #1

Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch - Install and take off.

Hi,

I just purchased the andersen WDH. I have been watching video on how to install it and take it off.

So to take it off you lift the trailer up and take out the plate on the hitch. Ok that part I got. So when its time to put it on again do I just put back the plate and lower it? Or do I have to start from scratch again?

Pleaes advise..

thank you
Old 03-05-2021, 06:13 AM   #2

I've disconnected and rehitched a dozen times or more and this is what I do.

To un-hitch, after blocking wheels
1) run the jack down and raise up about a inch, loosen one of the tension nuts tell the chain is loose.
2) remove the pin under the ball and let the attached plate with chains fall to the ground.
3) unhook safety chains, trailer electrical plug, and emergency brake cable, hitch latch and raise trailer off the ball.

To Hook-up
1) lower trailer unto ball without any load on the tow vehicle, close hitch latch, install lower plate with chains and pin in place.
2) tighten the nut you loosened to it's predetermined position, (I have ours marked with paint)
3) lower trailer, connect safety chains and electrical plug, and emergency brake cable.
4) do a complete safety check not once but twice.

The marking of the tension nuts, after they have been properly set, is the critical component to future, easy, predictable, setups.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:45 AM   #3

I just lift the trailer tounge up until the pin for the plate easily pulls out. Then, the plate falls off. To hook up I raise the tounge up until the plate slides on easily.

Yo make your life easier when hooking up make sure your TV is aligned the same as it was when you disconnected.

Once you get your chains tensioned how you like them, make a note of how many threads are showing aft of your polymer bushings. Thus will make resetting to this point easy if you ever have to loosen them.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:20 AM   #4

We use the Jack to release tension on the chains, and then back them out to where the nut is flush with the threads. We then pull the pin and disconnect the truck. When we reconnect, we hook up the ball, lift the tongue, pin the plate, and then crank the nuts to our setting (four threads visible). Lower the Jack, connect the chains and lights and breakaway cable, do a light check, and start rolling.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
I've disconnected and rehitched a dozen times or more and this is what I do.

To un-hitch, after blocking wheels
1) run the jack down and raise up about a inch, loosen one of the tension nuts tell the chain is loose.
2) remove the pin under the ball and let the attached plate with chains fall to the ground.
3) unhook safety chains, trailer electrical plug, and emergency brake cable, hitch latch and raise trailer off the ball.

To Hook-up
1) lower trailer unto ball without any load on the tow vehicle, close hitch latch, install lower plate with chains and pin in place.
2) tighten the nut you loosened to it's predetermined position, (I have ours marked with paint)
3) lower trailer, connect safety chains and electrical plug, and emergency brake cable.
4) do a complete safety check not once but twice.

The marking of the tension nuts, after they have been properly set, is the critical component to future, easy, predictable, setups.
THANK YOU. Ok. I will follow your instruction. I'm pretty sure I can manage it.

thanks again. easy as pie.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:09 PM   #6

I recently switched to Andersen for my 2021 Ram 2500 towing a 34' Salem at 9000 lbs, 990 on the hitch. I really like that it is quiet, and once you have hooked up/unhooked a few times, much easier to use. Also, at 79 yrs. old I was really having trouble with the 100 lbs. plus of my Equalizer with 1000 lb. bars (Andersen weighs 53 lbs.). That said, the comments above are accurate. In my experience so far, it is a bit more sensitive to adjustment than the others in terms of transferring weight back to the front wheels, but once set, does a very good job of sway control and weight distribution. I use a tape measure to establish the length of the exposed threads, currently using 1-3/16" of thread showing. Much more accurate than trying to count the number of threads as described in the instructions.
Mike Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:16 PM   #7

Re-reading your question, I think you are wondering how high to jack the truck and hitch to re-connect. In my case, I jack it about 2" higher than it sits with the WD on. Every connection will be different depending on how much your tongue weight is and how much WD you want. In any event, it needs to be high enough that you can install the plate, then can screw in the nuts. The higher you jack it up, the less effort you will need to tighten the nuts. I personally use the 1 1/4 " socket and a ratchet. Lighter loads can probably be done by hand. You will get the hang of it quickly and probably ask yourself why you asked the question in the first place - I did LOL.
Mike Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, weight, weight distribution hitch