Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2015, 06:05 PM   #1

Anderson WD hitch

Others Have said this hitch works great on lighter tongue weight trailers. Has anyone used one on a trailer with tw around 1300? I have a 3owr that's around 1300 tw and 36 foot long. Wondering how this hitch would work with a 1 ton dually . Thanks
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #2

The higher tw is much better with an 3/4 ton or one ton. Occasionally it's a little fussy with my 1/2 ton- a vendor of mine just bought a twin of my unit and bought the Anderson also. He has a 3/4 ford and just got back from a 1200 mile trip and said it was the best thing he's has ever dealt with. Tw about 1000 on both of us.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red and 30WR View Post
Others Have said this hitch works great on lighter tongue weight trailers. Has anyone used one on a trailer with tw around 1300? I have a 3owr that's around 1300 tw and 36 foot long. Wondering how this hitch would work with a 1 ton dually . Thanks
My tongue weight last time out was 1,144lbs and towing with 2500 Ram diesel. TT is 34ft, @ 8440lb total. Can't beat it.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:34 PM   #4

I am using the Andersen and love it. I am towing the RV in my signature and it weighs 10,700 loaded. I'm not sure of the tongue weight but believe it is around 1000lbs. I am towing with a 3/4 ton pickup and it tows well. It is easy to hook up.
lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:41 PM   #5

Anderson seems to be a good fit, as long as you are not approaching your TW rating. Once you get near that TW rating, and the rear end is actually squatting considerably, the rearward-pull design of the Anderson can't return all of the lost weight to the front wheels.

If the rear end is not squatting much (before engaging), then the Anderson doesn't have to work very much. In that case, it's a fine system, weighing less than a traditional WDH, and it's sway control is reportedly superb.

But if you are pushing close to your TW rating, I'd stick with a traditional bar-type WDH (Equalizer, Dual-Cam).
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Anderson seems to be a good fit, as long as you are not approaching your TW rating. Once you get near that TW rating, and the rear end is actually squatting considerably, the rearward-pull design of the Anderson can't return all of the lost weight to the front wheels.

If the rear end is not squatting much (before engaging), then the Anderson doesn't have to work very much. In that case, it's a fine system, weighing less than a traditional WDH, and it's sway control is reportedly superb.

But if you are pushing close to your TW rating, I'd stick with a traditional bar-type WDH (Equalizer, Dual-Cam).
The trailer drops my one ton 2 inches before hooking up the wd bars. So the Anderson probably wouldn`t help much. Thanks for your advice.
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red and 30WR View Post
The trailer drops my one ton 2 inches before hooking up the wd bars. So the Anderson probably wouldn`t help much. Thanks for your advice.

Actually, I think it may work well with your one ton. Keep in mind, you still need some weight for the sway control to work well. I love mine and am aware of where it falls short. But when towing, I never feel out of control.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:35 AM   #8

Actually, 2" isn't very much. The problem (IMO) is when 1/2-ton users try to use it, with 4-5 inches of squat.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:47 PM   #9

TheBrakeMan...this was the issue I ran into with the Anderson. I just returned from the storage lot to remove it to return to my local dealer and am now not sure what direction to go.

I have a 1/2 ton Suburban (with autoride feature that helps level things off via airbags). My TT is 35' and at the outer limits of my tow capacity. The Anderson didn't do much to reduce my "squatting". Frankly, it wasn't better at sway control than the two friction controls I was using previously, but since I never really had a problem with sway, it was the leveling/weight distribution that I was seeking most.

So is the popular opinion that a more traditional system, like the Equilizer, would do a better job? Has anyone done both with a similar setup for comparison?

I also realize that this "is what it is" with a 1/2 ton, just trying to improve as best I can.

thanks.
Kbosch74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #10

I just saw your other thread, and already posted there. I can personally recommend the Equal-I-zer to you. As long as you specify a TW rating greater than your actual TW, you WILL be able to transfer all lost weight back to the front wheels. If you are not sure, always round up. For example, if TW is 1150, skip the 1200 unit, and go 1400. My 1000 lbs unit has been great, even though TW is around 750.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
I just saw your other thread, and already posted there. I can personally recommend the Equal-I-zer to you. As long as you specify a TW rating greater than your actual TW, you WILL be able to transfer all lost weight back to the front wheels. If you are not sure, always round up. For example, if TW is 1150, skip the 1200 unit, and go 1400. My 1000 lbs unit has been great, even though TW is around 750.
Thank you! Prior to discovering the Anderson, I was between the SwayPro and the Equal-i-zer. The SwayPro seems like the same basic design as the Anderson...but with bars versus chains. Just not very confident that the similar design would result in different result. I'll take a good, close look at the Equal-i-zer again.
Kbosch74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch