Old 01-07-2020, 03:18 PM   #21
Tundra 2014

WDH

With your truck and the weight of your trailer, you do not have to have a WDH. I used one of the friction bars on a similar set-up w/o problem. Try it and see. I believe the WDH like the Equil-I-zer we use w/ a heavier trail now will make it more comfortable on the hwy. when being passed by semis or high wind.
Tundra 2014 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibella View Post
Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

Sounds like a height adjustable ball/mount will get me home (worst case) and that I may look for a weight distribution/sway-control hitch once I have the opportunity to take it to a local shop that can show me how to set it up properly. I'm pretty handy but adjusting a more complicated hitch the first time isn't something I want to screw up.

This line of trailers does come with e-brakes according to the manufacturer's info and my truck has a controller & 7-pin connection. Still need to re-read how to adjust those to the camper but I bet there are some good threads on here discussing it.

I will probably go ahead and buy a tongue weight scale since they don't seem to be that expensive and it will be something to double check a few times till we get our packing/loading down.

Thanks again!
You went need a wdh or sway bar most likely. I have the same trailer and a gmc Sierra 1500. I have towed it 15k plus miles in all weather conditions including heavy cross winds ( they didn't put the wind farm near Palm springs, ca because it was calm) and have never needed a sway bar or wdh.
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:02 PM   #23
Canadian Member

If you have any inkling that you'll upgrade to a larger high-wall popup in the next 5 years, it might be financially better to invest in a WDH now but you really don't have to have one for a Rockwood A213HW. Hitch weight should be well under 500# and you won't be towing a 10-11 foot high sail like with a regular TT so sway won't be an issue.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, newbie