Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2017, 01:50 PM   #1

Another Sidwinder Question

I have activated the Sidewinder on my Rockwood Fifth Wheel, and I'm using a Reese Elite Hitich. I have problems hooking onto it occassionally, and almost always have problems getting the hitch to release the sidewinder. More often than not, I've got to release the holding pins on either side of the plate, raise the front of the 5th wheel until the pressure is released from the unit, and then I can open the front hook, releasing the plate from the sidewinder.

Reese has a single hook jaw that holds the kingpin in place.

I ran across a newer version of the B&W hitch, one that is mounted like a normal hitch, rather than relying on the single pin in the center of the hitch. I believe it is this B&W hitch that is approved for Sidewinders.

B&W uses two jaws that meet together in the middle to hold the kingpin in place. I'm thinking about changing to one of these, in the hope that I'll have less drama everytime I go to unhook from my trailer.

Does anyone use the B&W? Can anyone speak as to the difficulty or ease of unhooking with this system?
Wandering Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #2

We have the Reese R16 hitch and the Revolution pinbox (same as Sidewinder) and we had the same unhitching problem. It turned out that there was pressure against the hitch (forwards or backwards) when we were trying to uncouple. Now after I chock the tires on the 5er and drop the landing legs I take and put the truck in neutral letting the pressure off the hitch and then put on the parking brake before pulling the release handle. This seemed to solve the problem. You might want to try that a few times before spending all the money on a new hitch. Good luck!
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:17 PM   #3

I do the same, chock the trailer wheels, go back to the truck and put her in neutral, take foot off of brake to let the hitch " relax", truck will move forward or back, but not very much,put truck back into park and then I am able to pull the pin to release the trailer.
rocksolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #4

Thanks, I'd heard that backing into the hitch slightly would help. I think the pressure is usually side to side imbalance. But it is hard to believe I park in that many places that are not level.

I'll give neutral a try.

We'd had the B&W turnover companion hitch on the old truck, without the sidewinder feature activated, and I don't recall ever having a problem until the new truck and new hitch.
Wandering Man is offline   Reply With Quote