Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #1

Anti-Slip (Limited Slip) Differential Vs. Standard Differential Ram 1500

Hey All,

Today we looked at two different 2012 Ram 1500 trucks for a tow vehicle.

Both have Hemi, 4x4, Class IV Hitch, Tow Package.

Truck A - Add Chrome wheels, leater, step bars

Truck B - Painted wheels, cloth, but has an Anti-Slip Differential

To me, the anti-slip is more of a performace, racing, deal.

I am curious, when it comes to towing, if there is prefrence in either direction?

I am leaning twoards truck A, just because it is a great value for the added options, but I am curious about the differential.

Thanks for your feedback.
Kaytee1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #2

No real advantage to limited slip on a 4x4 IMO unless your racing or off roading.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #3

I would always go for the limited slip if available. But, an aftermarket unit is a lot better than the factory setup.
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:35 AM   #4
Just a member

KKapa, the LS in the 9.25 Dodge axles has been around for many, many years. It works well in limited traction conditions. I suspect that "Truck B" has the 3.92 ratio which is what I'd be more interested in for towing. The LS is bonus but generally when towing a TT we tend to avoid those conditions that make a LS differential so useful.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #5

KKapa a major point on the differentials for towing is WHAT IS THE GEAR RATIOS? Depending on how heavy a trl you're towing gear ratio is the main factor. The lower the gear ratio the better for heavy towing. If like kandl says the LS diff has the 3.92 towing gears that's the one you want, if the other trk has the 3.55 highway gears. Towing gears will give you about and extra 2000lbs towing over the highway gears.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Pirate Todd and Wench

The limited slip is an option for a good reason. I've had to pull into slippery wet campsite in the mountains before and as it started to come to a stop, thank god I felt the "thud" of the posse ass, and front end locking up to get my but up the hill with 10,000 pounds behind me. Its a new truck, don't build it cheap!
-Equilzer 1200lb hitch
mrtodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I would definitely get the LS. In tight quarters, like backing in, 4X4 can bind. The LS would give you more traction in 2WD. Also, LS is nice in low traction driving conditions when you aren't using your 4X4. And believe it or not, LS provides benefit when you are in 4X4 as well. Then you have 3 drive wheels instead of 2. That makes a substantial difference when the going is REALLY tough; like deep snow or mud.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #8

A limited slip rear can actually be dangerous in slippery conditions with an inexperienced driver, as the rear of the truck can 'kick out'. That is what the 4x4 is for.
As for needing it when positioning your camper, with the weight of the camper on the truck, I seriously doubt you would be doing much spinning.
I have had both, and the only time I really needed the limited silp was when I was out hunting and driving down forest roads, pushing snow with the hood of the truck!
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
A limited slip rear can actually be dangerous in slippery conditions with an inexperienced driver, as the rear of the truck can 'kick out'. That is what the 4x4 is for.
Instead of 1 wheel tracking and 1 spinning in slick conditions, a limited slip differential will apply power to both back wheels, so the back end can get quite squirrelly going down the road. My 2 wheel drive 1979 F150 was a challenge to drive on snow and ice, but the limited slip did pull me out of some stuck conditions. Even with the squirrelly driving in snow and ice, I still liked that LS in my '79 F150, and now have it in my 2006 F150 as well.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #10

Both trucks have the 3.55 gears. No difference there. It comes down to Leather, Step Bars, and Chrome wheels which I will enjoy multiple times per day vs LS which might eventually come in handy at some point. If It were a 2wd truck I would get the LS for sure. Being a 4x4 I am really thinking the benefits won't be noticed. Also, then truck is A 24mo lease, so If I'm not happy with my decision I only have to deal with it for 2 yrs.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #11

Get the LS, they do not operate anything like what is being posted here, the rear end will not kick out, they are not squirrelly, sorry guys in the old days yes but in 2012 no. The LS system will provide even power to both wheels and then detect traction loss of one wheel and divert power to the opposite wheel (one that still has traction). This is what prevents the kick out of the rear end, if you did not have LS and lose traction in the drive wheel the truck will slip sideways as there is nothing to compensate for the loss of traction. The system monitors, maintains,and compensates the the transfer of power between wheels. In campgrounds this will help you even in loose gravel towing up hills, plus in areas where we get snow this will help with general traction in conditions where you would consider using 4Wheel in you had it, but can delay the use.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKapa View Post
Both trucks have the 3.55 gears. No difference there. It comes down to Leather, Step Bars, and Chrome wheels which I will enjoy multiple times per day vs LS which might eventually come in handy at some point. If It were a 2wd truck I would get the LS for sure. Being a 4x4 I am really thinking the benefits won't be noticed. Also, then truck is A 24mo lease, so If I'm not happy with my decision I only have to deal with it for 2 yrs.
4 wheel and Limited Slip are apples and oranges, 4 wheel will help you in conditions where the front wheels can slip, rain is not one of those conditions, actually using 4 wheel in the wrong conditions is more dangerous than driving in bad conditions without it. In addition it is primarily only going to help you in a north/south slip condition, what I mean is when the back wheels lose traction all together, the front wheels will pull you through.

LS works side to side in all conditions, most accidents will occur in wet "rain" and puddle conditions, LS helps detect and control wheel power loss in these conditions that are to dry for 4 wheel to be engaged safely. A lot of people think 4 wheel works like AWD and it dose not.
2023 Road Glide ST
Old 02-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy
Get the LS, they do not operate anything like what is being posted here, the rear end will not kick out, they are not squirrelly, sorry guys in the old days yes but in 2012 no. The LS system will provide even power to both wheels and then detect traction loss of one wheel and divert power to the opposite wheel (one that still has traction). This is what prevents the kick out of the rear end, if you did not have LS and lose traction in the drive wheel the truck will slip sideways as there is nothing to compensate for the loss of traction. The system monitors, maintains,and compensates the the transfer of power between wheels. In campgrounds this will help you even in loose gravel towing up hills, plus in areas where we get snow this will help with general traction in conditions where you would consider using 4Wheel in you had it, but can delay the use.
Your confusing limited slip with traction control. Ls works exactly the way crocus said. And to the OP, 3:55 is a horrible towing gear. IMO you should keep looking for a 3.92.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by M109Rrider View Post
Your confusing limited slip with traction control. Ls works exactly the way crocus said. And to the OP, 3:55 is a horrible towing gear. IMO you should keep looking for a 3.92.
M109Rider, i beg to differ. Traction control is also known as anti-slip regulation (ASR) by the engineers, is typically (but not necessarily - as on AWD) a secondary function of the anti-lock braking system (ABS) on production motor vehicles, designed to prevent loss of traction of driven road wheels. When invoked it therefore enhances driver control as throttle input applied is mis-matched to road surface conditions (due to varying factors) being unable to manage applied torque.
Intervention consists of one or more of the following:
Reduces or suppress spark sequence to one or more cylinders
Reduce fuel supply to one or more cylinders
Brake force applied at one or more wheels
Close the throttle, if the vehicle is fitted with drive by wire throttle

The above computer system works over top of the Limited Slip system to control and invoke it based on road conditions, we are discussing the value of limited Sip which is required to even have ARS on a vehicle, they just do not market it that way.

The limited sip on it's own will transfer power between wheels but will not modify driver controls. In the old days it was clutch driven and caused some drivers to get the feelings of the items listed above, today LS in electronic and reacts much quicker thus those condition feelings do not occur, and does not require ARS to be present on the vehicle.
2023 Road Glide ST
Old 02-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #15

Quote:
KKapa, lets look at this a different way. Most experienced towers will tell you the best tow vehicle is a 2 wheel drive truck, they will also tell you LS in a 2 wheel drive is a high priority, you even stated that yourself. So consider this if would not purchase a 2 wheel truck without LS why would you consider purchasing a 4 wheel one with out it. 95 to 100% of the time you will be in 2 wheel drive when you are towing and in conditions where you can not engage the 4 wheel.

As for the rear end ratio I too think that the 3.55 is not a good selection for towing.
2023 Road Glide ST
Old 02-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #16

Thank you for all the info. I should add that we will be pulling a Roo 25RS, which has a dry weight of 4841 and a loaded weight of 6502. We won't be pulling a 10,000+ TT, so a 3.55 should be fine. The truck we want can tow 8500 and we will be well within that. We also live in Michigan, and plan to mostly travel here until our kids get a little older. Our "mountains" are simply just hills to most people. We also won't be camping past October, so snow shouldn't be an issue. I probably should have mentioned all this in the original post.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thank you for all the info. I should add that we will be pulling a Roo 25RS, which has a dry weight of 4841 and a loaded weight of 6502. We won't be pulling a 10,000+ TT, so a 3.55 should be fine.
All I can say is that people change their camper more often then their tow vehicle and your choice may limit you for the next camper.

Dave

Nevermind...I see that it's a 2 year lease.

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #18

In that case, get the nicer truck and forget the LS.
Like you said, being a lease, you can get a different one later.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
All I can say is that people change their camper more often then their tow vehicle and your choice may limit you for the next camper.

Dave

It's only a 24 month lease on the truck, we won't be buying a new camper in the next 2 years.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #20

Lucy, you are correct about how traction and stability controls work however the OP question was in regards to a limited slip differential vice an open differential on a new Dodge Ram. An lsd, posi, anti spin diff..... what ever you call it does one thing, applies equal torque to both wheels all the time but will allow some slip to compensate for different wheels speeds while turning.

Tags