Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2022, 11:20 AM   #1

Anti-sway bar for smaller trailer (2015 Shasta Airflyte, 16 foot)

Hello all,

We are towing a 2015 Shasta Airflyte, 16 foot (dry weight 2400 lbs) behind our 2014 Nissan Murano. We just had our hitch installed on the car, and a weight distribution system put on as well. When I asked about also installing an anti-sway bar (I'm a rather nervous new tower), they suggested that I probably wouldn't need it. Does anyone have any opinions on this? At some point, we'd like to tow it through the mountains (where there can be significant winds), but I'm also concerned about the altered air dynamics caused by passing semi trucks on the prairies, for example.

Any input would be appreciated!
NealMelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:43 AM   #2

Without knowing which hitch system you have, it would be difficult to offer any type of advice at all. You might have an Andersen weight distribution hitch which had integrated sway control.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 12:25 PM   #3

Our hitch system does not have integrated sway control.
NealMelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 12:25 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealMelvin View Post
Hello all,

We are towing a 2015 Shasta Airflyte, 16 foot (dry weight 2400 lbs) behind our 2014 Nissan Murano. We just had our hitch installed on the car, and a weight distribution system put on as well. When I asked about also installing an anti-sway bar (I'm a rather nervous new tower), they suggested that I probably wouldn't need it. Does anyone have any opinions on this? At some point, we'd like to tow it through the mountains (where there can be significant winds), but I'm also concerned about the altered air dynamics caused by passing semi trucks on the prairies, for example.

Any input would be appreciated!
Yep, you need to post make and model of the WDH. How do you know it isn't a WDH with integrated sway control.
Or post pics.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 12:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealMelvin View Post
Our hitch system does not have integrated sway control.
Well, that's good to know. But it still doesn't help us to know what type of sway control options are available for your hitch.

But, I'll take a wild guess:
https://www.harborfreight.com/traile...kit-96462.html

I have the matching Harbor Freight Weight Distribution Hitch:
https://www.harborfreight.com/10000-...tem-67649.html

I have not added sway control to it and I have no problems. Used to tow a Geo Pro G17RK (20' trailer, 3000 lb) behind a 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan. Now I tow a Sonic 231VRL (26' trailer, 5300 lb) behind a 2015 GMC Yukon Denali. No sway problems with either setup.

With that type of setup and sway control, you need to disconnect the sway control bar before backing into a spot.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 12:00 AM   #6

I see the murano has coil springs. I'd go with a sway bar.
I had a American Motors Ambassador with coil springs and towing a 16' popup. Going through Kansas and wind sure wish I'd have had a sway bar. I'd say the Ambassador was heavier than a Murano.
boatcat AH6NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 06:52 AM   #7

I use WDH pulling my 7x14 box trailer max 7000 lbs even when towing with my dually because it rides better. I think the added friction of the WDH adds some sway control into the hitch as well.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:59 AM   #8

I now use what the NavyLCDR posted. Since you have the WDH, ask your dealer about the trailer sway control kit and if it is compatible. We've used ours with a couple different hitches.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shasta, sway, trailer