Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #21

I ordered and purchased a 2015 mega cab 6.4 Hemi and added the 4.10 axle ratio. This was a 100.00 upgrade but made a big difference in towing capacity. It added another 3000 lbs above the 3.73 rear axle rate. I tow a 36 ft coachman trailer and have no issues at all. Great truck . the max tow capacity listed now is 15.250 LBS. I'm glad I upgraded to the 2500 from the 1500 Hemi.
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklabbe View Post
I just bought a 2500 6.4l Ram Laramie. I located one that has 4.10 gears. This increases your tow capacity to 15.5K vs. the 12.5K with 3.73 gears. It also increases the gross to 22.5K. This was at no additional cost. You new to order it or have a dealer locate you one. I am towing a 2015 Heritage Glen 36ft 5th wheel with a dry weight of 11.5K dry weight with no issues.
This is a good option with for you with room to grow. I went with it because I did not want a diesel either.
Good advice. Since I am still in the "ordering/searching" stage and have not committed to anything yet, maybe a bit more searching is the way to go.
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:27 PM   #23

Just out of curiosity, what are you guys paying for the 2500 CC 4x4 with 6.4? A couple of dealers around here seem to be selling the SLT, which I understand to be comparable to the XLT in a Ford, for $44K ish on up. Sticker prices are around $50K. A local Ford dealer has F250 XLT CC 4x4's with the 6.2 listed for the high $30's, indicating the Ram is actually $5K+ more. Does that sound right? I was always under the impression that Ram's were the least expensive of the Big 3 when similarly equipped. I'm not a Ram expert, so maybe I'm not comparing similarly equipped trucks???
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:01 PM   #24
Mark & Cindy Labbe

The numbers are correct. Go to the Ram Web site under towing and input the configuration and it will show you a tow calculator. Would not have spent the money if it couldn't tow our new trailer.
marklabbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:18 PM   #25
Mark & Cindy Labbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Just out of curiosity, what are you guys paying for the 2500 CC 4x4 with 6.4? A couple of dealers around here seem to be selling the SLT, which I understand to be comparable to the XLT in a Ford, for $44K ish on up. Sticker prices are around $50K. A local Ford dealer has F250 XLT CC 4x4's with the 6.2 listed for the high $30's, indicating the Ram is actually $5K+ more. Does that sound right? I was always under the impression that Ram's were the least expensive of the Big 3 when similarly equipped. I'm not a Ram expert, so maybe I'm not comparing similarly equipped trucks???
You can wheel and deal and get it for 50k loaded. Sticker will be 57 - 62k. Mine has the full tow package with the 5th wheel prep...remember Dodge completely redesigned their suspense in 2014...real nice ride and no give when hitched. I am sure you could get a deal on. A SLT if you find one on the lot with the 4.10 gears..probably in the 40's... Laramie is loaded and does everything but drive it self.
marklabbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
WOW, you are correct. I REALLY misread the stats. Payload goes from 2,680 to 3,610 quite a bit of an increase. Not sure I would NEED that much payload but it would be nice to have. I will have to run the numbers to see how long it would take to recapture the $1400 increase to go to the 6.4L just from the difference in gas costs. I read on a few forums where guys run 87 octane then run a tank of 89 octane every 4th tank full to clean it up.....
Well you can be sneaky like some folks I know... get some lightweight lockable toolboxes and offload a lot of your cargo you carry in the basement to the truck (payload) so you can decrease your GVWR (Trailer weight).

Something else to consider...instead of the Hemi, maybe go diesel? Yeah I know that is $8K versus the $1.5K but when you have 150K miles on your diesel the resale will be MUCH better than the gasser.

Plus, you go to almost 18K 5er towing capacity

Oh and a friend ran the some numbers gas vs diesel - the break-even point is ~105K miles. (considering added purchase cost and increased fuel efficiency of the diesel)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Well you can be sneaky like some folks I know... get some lightweight lockable toolboxes and offload a lot of your cargo you carry in the basement to the truck (payload) so you can decrease your GVWR (Trailer weight).

Something else to consider...instead of the Hemi, maybe go diesel? Yeah I know that is $8K versus the $1.5K but when you have 150K miles on your diesel the resale will be MUCH better than the gasser.

Plus, you go to almost 18K 5er towing capacity

Oh and a friend ran the some numbers gas vs diesel - the break-even point is ~105K miles. (considering added purchase cost and increased fuel efficiency of the diesel)
BamaBob, just looking at the stats the 2500 with 5.7 and 3.73 gears has very similar capacity numbers as your Ecoboost. Therefore, why could I not haul a similar 5er to yours and not have a problem? I am not saying that I will be going to a 5er in the future, might stay with a TT, but still everything being equal I should be able to haul a coach similar in size and weight to yours. Correct? I am just being hypothetical here....
Old 01-22-2015, 03:03 PM   #28

Numbers...I traded a 08 3500 QC 4x4 6.7 auto slt lb in very good shape. 98k on the clock. I bought a14 2500 CC 4x4 tradesman. Pw, alarm, carpet, 5.0 uconnect w back up cam, cruise tilt air. Bedliner, b&w turnover, frontier full replaceme front and rear bumbers, frontier wheel to wheel steps, firestone airbags w hd compressor, max lifetime warranty, factory brake controller., poerer mirrors 3:73 auto.

Trade in 22800
Owed 12500
Otd wttl 33000 even (with all options)

I was pleased msrp was 46700 I don't recall invoice but I think it came in a 3 % under with a golden ticket.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
BamaBob, just looking at the stats the 2500 with 5.7 and 3.73 gears has very similar capacity numbers as your Ecoboost. Therefore, why could I not haul a similar 5er to yours and not have a problem? I am not saying that I will be going to a 5er in the future, might stay with a TT, but still everything being equal I should be able to haul a coach similar in size and weight to yours. Correct? I am just being hypothetical here....
Skippy,

The Ecoboost (or EcoBeast as we owners like to say ) is an amazing 1/2 ton truck. If you are staying lightweight, I would recommend the EcoBeast over any other 1/2T (and there are several others on this forum that share my belief).

I have pulled our 5er to the top of Cheaha Mtn, AL, up Monte Sano, and all through the KY hills and dales.

If your plans are predominantly East of the Mississippi, the Ford should be fine -- and if you need a bit more power, there are bolt on kits and exhaust that will take the rated HP almost to 500

However,

After talking with some friends out west, I am not so confident that it would do well on those looooong grades out there (think Phoenix to Flagstaff or CO Springs to the Pike National Forest).

Since this area of the country will be well traveled by the DW & I when we retire, that is why I have been eyeing one of those diesel beasters (oh...and we have a REAL desire to visit Alaska & CN so we are sorta drooling over a Sanibel as well )
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:23 PM   #30

I have a 2014 2500 6.4 and have put 19,000 on it so far. We have a 32foot Crusader 5er that weighs in around 10,000 lbs loaded. We have been to Arkansas and Colorado and have had no issues, pulls great. I get 18-20 mpg highway, 13-15 city, and 9-11 mpg towing. I like the coil springs, I have the HD suspension and I barely notice any squat when hooked up.
Fufys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:48 PM   #31

Pulling my Windjammer with my 6.4 Hemi (Tow/Haul engaged) i'm getting 11 MPG. Easy to forget the trailer is back there, when going over bumps and railroad tracks the tail doesn't wag the dog.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:30 PM   #32

NoI purchased my 2500_ mega cab 6.4 in a Laramie trim around $47K. The sticker was $55.500k. This discount included the 3000k in rebates. I purchased the lifetime warranty, which no other manufacture offers for their trucks $2300.00 was the online price. The truck is loaded with so many goodies it took several weeks to figure how to work them. As far as towing upgrades I added the 4.10 rear gear ratio, the limited slip rear axle and the chrome plated fold/power mirrors. All other HD stuff was standard equipt.
The truck came with a 5/yr 100,000.00 mile power train warranty.
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:41 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post

Is that with today's gas/diesel prices? How many miles towing?

Diesel:

Unloaded: 16/20, average 18mpg
Cost Per mile @ 2.86 $.159

Loaded: 12mpg
Cost Per mile @ 2.86 $.238

Gas:

Unloaded: 12/15, average 13.5mpg
Cost per mile @ 2.04 $.151

Loaded: 8mpg
Cost per mile @ 2.04 $.255

My calculations using todays national US average fuel prices show you lose with diesel in daily driving and gain with it when towing. This doesn't consider the additional maintenance expense or DEF. There are lots of reasons to go diesel if you can afford it, but at today's prices it's just simply not going to pay for itself.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:04 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashog View Post
Pulling my Windjammer with my 6.4 Hemi (Tow/Haul engaged) i'm getting 11 MPG. Easy to forget the trailer is back there, when going over bumps and railroad tracks the tail doesn't wag the dog.
Wow, the 3029W is VERY nice. If we upgrade in the future it will most likely be to something like that and not a 5er. At that length and weight I doubt there would be a difference towing with the 5.7L/3.73 vs the 6.4L/4.10 other than peace of mind with the larger engine and better mountain performance.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:06 AM   #35

@dustman

To do a good comparison, and if someone is considering new doing a 5 year price average will give you a better idea. Diesel fuel price fluctuates differently then gas based on supply. Price of oil drops and gas price goes down in a week, it can take diesel a month. Same thing will happen when price goes back up, gas will change in a week and diesel can actually continue to drop.

Where I live, up to three months ago diesel was on average about .33 cents a gallon cheaper. When the price of oil dropped gas price did, Diesel much slower drop.

In my opinion unless a person spends the majority of their miles hauling, no real advantage to a diesel. If someone really spent the time to do a correct comparison, I feel you would find that gas or diesel, for the average Joe, works out to the exact same cost at the end of life date for the truck. This only applies buying new. Only reason I am driving a diesel, got the truck new for 40k us for a drw, roughly 6k cheaper then the gas SRW.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:54 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by X96mnn View Post
@dustman

To do a good comparison, and if someone is considering new doing a 5 year price average will give you a better idea. Diesel fuel price fluctuates differently then gas based on supply. Price of oil drops and gas price goes down in a week, it can take diesel a month. Same thing will happen when price goes back up, gas will change in a week and diesel can actually continue to drop.

Where I live, up to three months ago diesel was on average about .33 cents a gallon cheaper. When the price of oil dropped gas price did, Diesel much slower drop.

In my opinion unless a person spends the majority of their miles hauling, no real advantage to a diesel. If someone really spent the time to do a correct comparison, I feel you would find that gas or diesel, for the average Joe, works out to the exact same cost at the end of life date for the truck. This only applies buying new. Only reason I am driving a diesel, got the truck new for 40k us for a drw, roughly 6k cheaper then the gas SRW.
I agree that using an average will most likely yield a more accurate result than using today's prices-good luck predicting fuel prices, though. I would still find it very unlikely that anyone would ever come out ahead monetarily buying a diesel, especially if one considers maintenance and repair costs. And yes, I understand that you get most or all of the initial investment back later. If you tow the vast majority of the time a diesel will very likely be the more economical choice. Once again, there are many reasons a diesel makes sense. I personally don't think you can make a very good case for it being CHEAPER, is all. I can guarantee you that if I had the money I'd have a 1 ton 4x4 dually diesel loaded to the gills! If it would pay for itself, I think we'd all have one. Unfortunately they just don't.

Edit; Just wanted to add that I don't think I've seen regular gas higher than diesel in YEARS. I'm almost certain I haven't since ULSD started in 2010, but I think it was actually years before that when diesel started it's price climb and went above gas. Maybe someones memory on here will serve them better than mine right now.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #37

The price I quote for diesel is in Nova Scotia. When I bought my truck in July it was 10 cents cheaper a litr. I converted it over to US as the majority on here are US.

I do get a lot of comments about price to maintain my diesel truck from freinds and family. I just do not see it yet, and although new I did some math before I bought comparing it to my 1500 hemi. Oil changes are a wash, yes I will pay 199 for a diesel change but would need to change my gas engine 4 to 5 times, not doing it myself would cost me more. I have to toss in a fuel filter at the same time, another 200 but if I am going by the book the hemi needed 16 new spark plugs every 31000 miles so the diffrence there is a wash.

I think we are on the same page dustmen, I do not think anyone can make a case that a gas or diesel truck is a cheaper option unless the majority of travel is towing. Would love to see an actual to actual, getting work done at a dealer, money on fuel spent, money on brakes and such. I do not think a diesel is anymore to own when new and under warranty.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #38

Quote:
The price I quote for diesel is in Nova Scotia. When I bought my truck in July it was 10 cents cheaper a litr. I converted it over to US as the majority on here are US.

I do get a lot of comments about price to maintain my diesel truck from freinds and family. I just do not see it yet, and although new I did some math before I bought comparing it to my 1500 hemi. Oil changes are a wash, yes I will pay 199 for a diesel change but would need to change my gas engine 4 to 5 times, not doing it myself would cost me more. I have to toss in a fuel filter at the same time, another 200 but if I am going by the book the hemi needed 16 new spark plugs every 31000 miles so the diffrence there is a wash.

I think we are on the same page dustmen, I do not think anyone can make a case that a gas or diesel truck is a cheaper option unless the majority of travel is towing. Would love to see an actual to actual, getting work done at a dealer, money on fuel spent, money on brakes and such. I do not think a diesel is anymore to own when new and under warranty.
Wonder how they came up with 31000???? I typically change spark plugs when it starts missing.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:26 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Wonder how they came up with 31000???? I typically change spark plugs when it starts missing.
No idea, shocked the living out of me when I had gone in for my 50000km service, which is just over the 31000 miles, service guy says your spark plugs are do. I was in disbelief, would have cost me little over $400 at the dealer to do it. Went to a local shop and had them changed for $315, traded it 15000 later but not becuase it was a bad truck, went in kicking tires and they said yes to me offer lol. That was a tough call to the wife, know that truck that we paid for, I just bought a new one.....her new dining room set looks lovely.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:51 PM   #40

Quote:
No idea, shocked the living out of me when I had gone in for my 50000km service, which is just over the 31000 miles, service guy says your spark plugs are do. I was in disbelief, would have cost me little over $400 at the dealer to do it. Went to a local shop and had them changed for $315, traded it 15000 later but not becuase it was a bad truck, went in kicking tires and they said yes to me offer lol. That was a tough call to the wife, no that truck that we paid for, I just bought a new one.....her new dining room set looks lovely.
"Quid pro quo", right?

Tags