Old 02-11-2020, 01:02 PM   #41

Bird's Eye View Cameras and Such

I suspect with the advancements in technology, it won't be long before the 'surround vision' cameras will be applied to RVs/TTs. Information display screens are getting larger and it would be nice to be able to see your tow vehicle and travel trailer in a 'bird's eye view' while backing up. Wouldn't you agree StLouielady?
Old 02-11-2020, 01:06 PM   #42

No comment: Thanks, Orlando bull and NJKris. Will think long and hard before posting anything on this site again!!!!!!!
Whispering Pines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:13 PM   #43

3 thoughts...

1. Camera - it's a bit of a gimmicky twist on observation cameras that have been around for quite a while. Good for GM, hopefully it's useful to people that have it.

2. I'm curious on the tailgate too... big question being... does stuff get stuck in it, and, does it hold up to actual truck abuse. If you need to haul gravel, sand, mulch, etc, do all of the moving pieces pick up some of that junk and cause issues down the road? Only time will tell I think. Again, good idea, will be interested to see how it pans out in the long haul.

3. Comparing the typical RV'er to a commercial big rig driver who has gone through another level of drivers ed as well as daily practice is quite odd. Great, you have no issues backing. Do you care if a kid in the campground runs behind your rig while you're maneuvering? I don't necessarily need the camera myself for all situations, but, I wouldn't knock anyone that feels more comfortable with the camera angles. I probably two 15-20 days a year, not 250 like commercial drivers, so, I HOPE they are better than me. I certainly never needed one to back my pickups into a parking space, but, having the cameras all these new vehicles have has certainly made it easier and therefore safer. I have to wonder what you really hoped to accomplish by your post.
Orlando bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:25 PM   #44
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
I have to wonder what you really hoped to accomplish by your post.
Answered in post #35. He accomplished it AGAIN!
Old 02-11-2020, 02:31 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
My question is why do you even need a view behind your trailer as you travel down the highway or when your backing the trailer up. The are millions of trucks on the highway that only have the two large side mirrors and if a trucker can back his rig without a camera, so can I. I back our 32 ft. 5th wheel trailer into the shed that is only 12 ft. wide using only trucks side mirrors and I have to do this from a 90 degree angle. You fellows need to put your big boy pants on and learn how to back your rig.

WOW!!! You missed the whole point. They only wanted to know about them not why. For most people learning to back is no big deal. As for the 12 foot wide shed, you'd have to work real hard not to back a trailer in there. My 40 footer goes in in one shot with less then 10 inches on each side. Of course it helps if you've been backing for 74 years.
ER17453361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:11 AM   #46

Who needs the technology of additional camera views? Well a good friend of mine, female, is the primary driver of their 31 ft. class C. She has had several back surgeries and it is very difficult for her to twist and turn when backing into a campsite, or her driveway for that matter. So she uses her back up camera probably more than the average camper does. In three years of RV'ing she has never had a mishap backing up

On the other hand, her husband who had Polio when he was a child and has one lazy eye that his perception on one side is distorted. Not wanting to give in to what some would call a disability including his wife, he wants to only use his mirrors to back up. Their first RV was a 36 ft. class A. In one year of camping my buddy ripped off the rear ladder and fiberglass damage, after that repair he more damage to the rear one-piece fiberglass cap, and than finally when pulling the rig into his driveway to prepare for winter storage he hooked the fiberglass cap on a fence posts and riped off the entire back half of the RV! It had to be towed away by two wreckers and of course, the RV was totaled! If only my bubby used his cameras!

Regarding the Nissan Rogue with the four cameras, does that help with bombing bird droppings and the abilitily to avoid the white bombs? LOL....
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:49 AM   #47

Invisible Trailer?

Having the cameras on all these new vehicles have has certainly made it easier and therefore safer. I have to wonder what you really hoped to accomplish by your post.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:50 AM   #48

Having the cameras on all these new vehicles have has certainly made it easier and therefore safer. I have to wonder what you really hoped to accomplish by your post.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:10 PM   #49
REL

"Any real world owners of new Chevy "invisible trailer" option?"

Lots of replys but apparently the answer to your original question is NO.
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:24 PM   #50
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbott View Post
No comment: Thanks, Orlando bull and NJKris. Will think long and hard before posting anything on this site again!!!!!!!
Not sure what the thanks is for, but you're welcome! Don't see anything I wrote on this thread that was directed at you. Don't need to think long and hard about posting though. I try not to! Sometimes I provide coherent answers to questions, sometimes weird humor. It's what the internet is all about! Have fun!
Old 02-13-2020, 01:35 PM   #51

Not real sure who your referring to but I see nothing wrong here. Maybe you have thin skin or are very inexperienced and someone hurt your feelings. Obviously it must have gone over your head. I see it as normal conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbott View Post
ER17453361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:36 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by REL View Post
"Any real world owners of new Chevy "invisible trailer" option?"

Lots of replys but apparently the answer to your original question is NO.
To the contrary, I think the answer is YES. One post. Post #37’s author sounded like a real world owner.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:36 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Not sure what the thanks is for, but you're welcome! Don't see anything I wrote on this thread that was directed at you. Don't need to think long and hard about posting though. I try not to! Sometimes I provide coherent answers to questions, sometimes weird humor. It's what the internet is all about! Have fun!
Same here, didn't direct anything that way. Something weird though, my post was after the "thanks" post, so, someone went back and edited something.

Oh well, certainly didn't mean to offend anyone, and definitely not someone I wasn't even directing a comment at.
Orlando bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:08 AM   #54

Just went & drove the Chevy yesterday as we are in the market - love the idea of anything that makes it a bit safer to back in to sites... I am hoping it allows me to take the dog for a walk & come back to a perfectly set up site by DH so no divorce threats necessary ;-) .

Looking forward to more input on this line from those that own already also -

we will probably TT but had not considered the 5th wheel issue. Wonder if the cameras can be set up with alerts for limbs that might be a bit too low for AC to go under?

Tags
trailer