Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2020, 11:45 AM   #1

Any real world owners of new Chevy "invisible trailer" option?

I'm simply idly curious. Does anyone have one of the new Chevy/GMC's with the camera options that I guess is called "Invisible trailer"?? Just curious how well it works.

Not going to buy one. Well, I might, but only after my current dually is paid for in 2086.

Being a GMC guy, I'm hoping this is a better thought-out option than that atrocious tail gate thingy.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:58 PM   #2

Yeah yeah me too.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:17 PM   #3

I have read on another forum that the Chevy/GMC invisible trailer option does not work with 5th wheel trailers. I do not know for sure but this is what the poster has reported.
Just saying!
Old 02-03-2020, 12:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I have read on another forum that the Chevy/GMC invisible trailer option does not work with 5th wheel trailers. I do not know for sure but this is what the poster has reported.
Just saying!
I've read that as well. I can't imagine why it wouldn't, but that's what they say.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I'm simply idly curious. Does anyone have one of the new Chevy/GMC's with the camera options that I guess is called "Invisible trailer"?? Just curious how well it works.

Not going to buy one. Well, I might, but only after my current dually is paid for in 2086.

Being a GMC guy, I'm hoping this is a better thought-out option than that atrocious tail gate thingy.
My idle curiosity has me wondering what is wrong with the Chevrolet/GMC tailgate.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #6

I read it works in conjunction with a Rearview camera mounted on the trailer. No camera on trailer and no picture. And then a little photoshop magic. Stormy
James Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:05 PM   #7

What I REALLY wonder how it works are the cars that let you see your own car as though a drone is flying above you. How do they do that???
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:05 PM   #8

GMC camera

Correct, does not work w/ 5 th wheels due to height. Sounds good on paper. Ford advertises "7 camera System", what they do not tell you is that 7 th. camera is a $900 addition and has a electrical cord the size of a garden hose to route to the back of the trailer. Also, if you have a tool box it blocks the view to see your 5 th wheel. I have it on my truck.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:07 PM   #9
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
What I REALLY wonder how it works are the cars that let you see your own car as though a drone is flying above you. How do they do that???
X2

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
Behind and above or directly above?

Directly above I have. For ford there are 4 cameras. One in each side mirror, one in the grill and the backup camera. They are wide angle 360 cameras. We sell cameras that can do near complete sphere views with 2 cameras you are only missing the bottom. Ford just cuts the screen on 4 cameras. BMW uses 3 higher res cameras and stitches them together. The rear camera and one at each corner of the front bumper. Acura also uses 4 but when you open the door the picture is messed up. Toyota has a really cool feature where you can peer through the door prospective using the side 360 camera. Teslas have cameras in the pilar between the windows and front and back. The car image itself is just a stock image.

You can see some of the artifacting from the lens when you use these features because of extreme angles. For example when steering around tall cones I cannot see them other than the base on the corners.

Behind and above I cannot say other than a virtually created image in software and I really have not seen outside video games.

I see the invisible trailer camera commercial and understand why the software may not work with a 5th wheel because when turning the geometry is different than a TT and it may be harder to determine because pivot points change for 5ers compared to bumper hitches. Have this issue with my propride and fords backup assist feature...it gets it wrong.

Does the invisible trailer work with a specific camera or any trailer camera?
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:01 PM   #11

My question is why do you even need a view behind your trailer as you travel down the highway or when your backing the trailer up. The are millions of trucks on the highway that only have the two large side mirrors and if a trucker can back his rig without a camera, so can I. I back our 32 ft. 5th wheel trailer into the shed that is only 12 ft. wide using only trucks side mirrors and I have to do this from a 90 degree angle. You fellows need to put your big boy pants on and learn how to back your rig.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:05 PM   #12
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
My question is why do you even need a view behind your trailer as you travel down the highway or when your backing the trailer up. The are millions of trucks on the highway that only have the two large side mirrors and if a trucker can back his rig without a camera, so can I. I back our 32 ft. 5th wheel trailer into the shed that is only 12 ft. wide using only trucks side mirrors and I have to do this from a 90 degree angle. You fellows need to put your big boy pants on and learn how to back your rig.
Really?
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:13 PM   #13
llr

Quote:
Need it, not really. Extra peace of mind especially when backing where vehicles or people may be moving around behind you. Once you start your turn you have a very large bling spot.

The straight trucks seem to have cameras on most of them around here. Tractor trailers are a little more complicated as they would need an industry wide standard, also tractor trailers typically back up in more controlled environments, truck terminals, factories etc.
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Driving requires focus and continuous information gathering. I don't need that camera for backing or driving but it is one more piece of information that will help you make a good, planned decision. A personal goal of mine is to not make any move on the road that interferes with anything (anyone) around me. I can see how some folks don't want one...but I don't drive like the narcissistic wieners all around me.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:52 PM   #15
OYO

Quote:

At least on the 2019s it was not available with the 'surround vision' package. Therefore not an option for me.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:31 PM   #16

Range is advertised at 35 feet. Not sure if that is from the tailgate or cab. Hopefully they will come out with a booster.
safrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:40 PM   #17

Sounds like a bust gimmick to me.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:54 PM   #18
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsgm View Post
My idle curiosity has me wondering what is wrong with the Chevrolet/GMC tailgate.
I love my tailgate thingy.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsgm View Post
Because any truck I own, and I own three, has to have a hitch with 2" ball in the receiver. If you have a hitch in the receiver, then the tailgate will NOT lower all the way. You'd have to take the hitch and ball out first.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Because any truck I own, and I own three, has to have a hitch with 2" ball in the receiver. If you have a hitch in the receiver, then the tailgate will NOT lower all the way. You'd have to take the hitch and ball out first.
I have a 2003 F150 with a 2 5/8 ball in the receiver & the tailgate lowers just fine. What am I missing?

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer