Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #1

Any slider hitch tips?

I'm fairly new to pulling a fifth wheel. I have a Valley 16k slider hitch and would just like to know from others who have a slider hitch if you have any tips. One of the problems I've encountered is I'm jumping in and out of the truck trying to get enough pressure off the locking pin to disengage it and move it to the other position. There's got to be an easier way.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
J. Parham

I have the same hitch and usually do not have any problems. I am never on anything but level ground when I attempt to change the hitch to the rear position so the lower handle usually pulls out easily for the change.

As for the king pin release, after I have locked down the trailer with X-chock and landing gear I will usually either place the truck in neutral to relieve pressure and apply the parking break or I will put the truck in reverse apply the parking break and then go back to park. Doing these step usually makes pulling the king pin release almost effortless.

Have you experienced much chucking from this hitch? It is not usually too bad for us, but at times (usually when roads are rough) we can get quite the ride. I have wondered if it is this slide hitch alone or other hitches as well.
Nights Camped in 2012: 85
snjparham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snjparham View Post
I have the same hitch and usually do not have any problems. I am never on anything but level ground when I attempt to change the hitch to the rear position so the lower handle usually pulls out easily for the change.

As for the king pin release, after I have locked down the trailer with X-chock and landing gear I will usually either place the truck in neutral to relieve pressure and apply the parking break or I will put the truck in reverse apply the parking break and then go back to park. Doing these step usually makes pulling the king pin release almost effortless.

Have you experienced much chucking from this hitch? It is not usually too bad for us, but at times (usually when roads are rough) we can get quite the ride. I have wondered if it is this slide hitch alone or other hitches as well.
Thanks for the tips on moving positions on the hitch. I don't know about other hitches, but I get some chucking with mine. (I didn't even know the correct terminology for that until I read it here last night, lol.) I just knew when I hit uneven pavement my truck would start bucking and jerking. It's not too bad if I reduce speed, but sometimes you don't realize a road is bad until it is too late. My air bags helped that a lot, but I still get some.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:57 PM   #4

When I change my slide position, I just put the slide lever in the center, unlocked position, engage the trailer brakes via the manual lever on the brake controller, and move the truck slowly to move the slide position. Works great.
crusmsl is offline   Reply With Quote