Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2022, 01:30 PM   #1
Retired Panpsychist

Anyone Dolly-Towing a MINI Cooper?

We have an automatic 2014 MINI Cooper S Convertible and, when we move up to a Class A, we would like to dolly-tow it. We've seen a couple of YT videos but they were using older dollies; we'd like some more recent feedback.

Are you towing your MINI Cooper on a fairly modern dolly? If so, we have several questions we'd like to ask you:

1. I've measured the distance between the ground and the bottom edge of the front valance in front of the front wheels. The clearance is only 3.5".
a. Are you able to approach and climb the ramps without the valances scraping on them?
b. Who is your dolly manufacturer?
2. With the MINI secured to the dolly, does the rear end have enough clearance to absorb jolts from pavement irregularities without scraping?

3. Being rather OCD, I am concerned about chips and such from stuff being thrown up by the RV's rear wheels. What products/steps do you take to minimize this damage?

Thanks in advance to my fellow MINI dolly-towers for your words of wisdom!

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper")
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 06:01 AM   #2

I can't address your minicooper questions but for clearances for a low riding car I'd suggest you look at the Demco car dollys. Their website gives the exact measurements per dolly so you can check clearances to your car.

I have the Kar Kaddy X which is good for low profiles. They also have a tongue folding version (SS I believe). Demco dollys are a bit more expensive but the quality is first rate. We like ours a lot.

Happy travels!

Old 10-15-2022, 07:55 AM   #3
Retired Panpsychist

Thanks, kayakist! I'll check out the Demco website.

2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Old 10-15-2022, 08:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Thanks, kayakist! I'll check out the Demco website.
Take a look at the manual. It has a formula related to height and distance to tires.
Old 10-15-2022, 10:26 AM   #5
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSCupstate View Post
Take a look at the manual. It has a formula related to height and distance to tires.
Thanks, BR!

I downloaded their Tow Dolly Loading Clearance Guide Spreadsheet (at bottom of link, bolded in red) and plugged in my numbers. Looks like I JUST might squeak by! However, check out the note on row 24...3.5" is the minimum height:

A close look at the front valance revealed a rubber "aero-skirt" that is added to it in front of each wheel:

It looks like I may be good to go because this extension seems like it is flexible and durable enough for minor scrapes. Of course, the skirts could be cut-down to clear the ramps or removed entirely.

Thanks to all for your help!

2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
Old 10-15-2022, 10:57 AM   #6

Depending on which dolly you choose pay attention to the tie down ratchets. On my Stel Tow dolly the ratchets have to be slid all the way to the outside to clear the valence on my 2012 Escape. It sits pretty high. I have also put a 2008 Fusion on the dolly with no trouble. It sat pretty low.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing