Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2017, 11:14 PM   #1
AMG

Anyone done Non-Commercial Class A?

I took the written this week along with my class C and class M1. Passed them all and got my permit for my non-commercial class A

I am wondering if anyone has taken the skills test here. Did they make sure you had a person who has a class A or non-comm class A with you (because of your trailer you brought)? How did the backing in to the camping spot go? Did they make you back it all the way to some cones and be perfect or just put it in the spot? Any info is appreciated as I want to take my test soon. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:54 AM   #2

Since there are 50 states no one can give you the answer for how it is "here".
Old 01-14-2017, 12:58 AM   #3
AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
ah i posted on rv.net and i put "California" and i guess i thought i did here too.

DMV told me it is actually Federally regulated so all states should be nearly identical, slight variations. I dont know how true that is, and ultimately, I onyl care about California.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG View Post
ah i posted on rv.net and i put "California" and i guess i thought i did here too.

DMV told me it is actually Federally regulated so all states should be nearly identical, slight variations. I dont know how true that is, and ultimately, I onyl care about California.
Ah ! California I use to live there. Well here is my take, In California you need a CDL on M/H only and they have to be a certain weight. I know of no regulation that you need one for a 5er. As far as other States go, if your register state requires it then you need it, Makes no difference if you are traveling. Say if I drive from Virginia where it is not required and enter California and got pulled over by CHP. My Virginia lic. would be legal. ( and I take exempt if they changed the law in the last 13 years).

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:42 AM   #5

Witch Doctor,

If you moved from a state that did not require a CDL for motorhome to one that did and you could prove you were driving one for many years in the previous state do you know if you would be grandfather for the new state?
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:52 AM   #6

In Calif. you have to have a RV endorsement for any trailer over 10000lbs. to 15000lbs and that is just a written test. not sure about non commercial class A. My dad did it years ago so he could tow his boat behind his fiver but he moved to Oregon and could not do it there. Don't remember what he did?

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Witch Doctor,

If you moved from a state that did not require a CDL for motorhome to one that did and you could prove you were driving one for many years in the previous state do you know if you would be grandfather for the new state?
It will not be grandfather in you will have 30 days to comply
Same as a regular license. Except you would have to take the written, get a Dr's. Certification of health and they might make you take the driving test unless you can show you graduated from a trucking school. When I got mine. I was trained by City of Concord, so I didn't need the driving part but needed all the rest of the BS.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Old 01-14-2017, 09:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
In Calif. you have to have a RV endorsement for any trailer over 10000lbs. to 15000lbs and that is just a written test. not sure about non commercial class A. My dad did it years ago so he could tow his boat behind his fiver but he moved to Oregon and could not do it there. Don't remember what he did?
I don't think you have that correct you can drive on a class "C" any 5th wheel NOT OVER 15,000 lbs and a regular trailer not over 10,000 lbs. You also need a non-comm. class A if the M/H is over 40' to max of 45", They explain that as a farm trailer for the 10,000 lb limit. So in my opinion you do not need an endorsement unless your pulling a RV over 15,000 and a M/H as i explained. To get a commercial Class A you need to show proof of class or take the road test and the verb. questions asked by the tester at where certain things are. Like air tanks for brakes and a whole slew of stuff. Now this what I remember, Just google DMV and it will tell you..... PS: I also just read the requirements from the State. That is how I read there garbage. They also say call a farm trailer a TT in that law. It makes no sense if you can Dr. a 5er to 15,000 why would a TT be less only to 10,000. I would question that...

Old 01-14-2017, 09:56 AM   #9

I think I do if you read further down in their booklet it states This....

RECREATIONAL TRAILER ENDORSEMENT
A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement added to his/her Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, which is not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a commercial or noncommercial Class A driver license.

I know if you look at their chart before that it is different but I know better I got endorsement after being pulled over and ticketed for it. They look at the label on fiver for total weight not what it weighs at that moment. If it says 10,001 lbs. you will be ticketed.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #10

Basic rule for California is pulling anything over 10K or a vehicle/trailer combo over 26K pounds requires at least a non-commercial class "A" license (no medical required other than a statement of health). But, if you take a 5th wheel written test, you can get a license add on that will allow you to pull up to 15K 5th wheel. Also, any vehicle over 40' up to max of 45' requires a written test also.

I have the 5th wheel endorsement, and the written is not hard. Just did not expect that I had to also take the vehicle and motorcycle written again in addition to the trailer one.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:51 AM   #11
AMG

People! I wasn't asking about if i need one. I was asking about the skills test

Here's the truth about a 5er or travel trailer licensing in CALI

5er 10000 or less = class C
5er 10001 to 15000 = class c with a 5th wheel endorsement (simply a written test at DMV and a medical form)
5er 15001+ = class A or Class A non commercial

Travel trailer 10000 or less = class C
Travel trailer 10001+ = class A or class A non commercial

I already took the written. Have my A non commercial permit. Was looking for info specifically on the SKILLS test
Old 01-14-2017, 10:52 AM   #12
AMG

Anyone done Non-Commercial Class A?

Also the DMV have no clue. San Marcos and Poway had no clue. Took 3 hours of me being there to make it happen

Also I'll add that when you take the skills test you have to be there with a trailer that qualifies (so one of those above) and a person who who has an A or non commercial A.

And someone said above you get a ticket IF over. Truth is your supposed to not be able to move it one inch further. If the cop is cool he'd let you
Call someone with an A or non commercial A to drive out and move it for you. Otherwise it should be impounded. There are threads about this on other forums where it happened. Rare? Yes! Do I want to be the statistic? No!
Old 01-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
I think I do if you read further down in their booklet it states This....

RECREATIONAL TRAILER ENDORSEMENT
A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement added to his/her Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, which is not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a commercial or noncommercial Class A driver license.

I know if you look at their chart before that it is different but I know better I got endorsement after being pulled over and ticketed for it. They look at the label on fiver for total weight not what it weighs at that moment. If it says 10,001 lbs. you will be ticketed.
Thanks for clearing that up what I read was different, Do you live in California that you got a ticket for 1 lb over 10,000 lbs? I really don't why except it is California maybe some other states to. There is really no difference in pulling a 9,999 lb 5th wheel and a 10,001. How much was your ticket? You would think that they worry more about length then weight.
But anyway thanks for the correction:...

Old 01-14-2017, 11:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG View Post
People! I wasn't asking about if i need one. I was asking about the skills test

Here's the truth about a 5er or travel trailer licensing in CALI

5er 10000 or less = class C
5er 10001 to 15000 = class c with a 5th wheel endorsement (simply a written test at DMV and a medical form)
5er 15001+ = class A or Class A non commercial

Travel trailer 10000 or less = class C
Travel trailer 10001+ = class A or class A non commercial

I already took the written. Have my A non commercial permit. Was looking for info specifically on the SKILLS test
Okay got you now, PM Frog Bob he had to take the skill test last year, but that was in Indiana not Calf. so it still might be different.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:16 PM   #15

I lost my cdl because of an implanted defibrillator .they let me keep my class a.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:16 PM   #16

What ever you do, don't get out of the right lane and over 55 mph in California. Not looking forward to driving there with a trailer when we retire.

California was a good place to grow up at, but glad I left. I would not even go back if not for family.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
DOT is DOT applys to all 50. I have a class B with air brake.
Pursell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:54 PM   #18
AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
What ever you do, don't get out of the right lane and over 55 mph in California. Not looking forward to driving there with a trailer when we retire.

California was a good place to grow up at, but glad I left. I would not even go back if not for family.

Actually FYI -- Part of the written exam you take...

By law (CVC §22406), vehicles towing trailers must stay in the right-hand traf c lane or as close as possible to the right edge or curb. If you drive on a divided highway with four or more traf c lanes in the same direction or where a speci c lane or lanes have not been designated, you can drive in the lane just to the left of the right-hand traf c lane. When overtaking or passing another vehicle going in the same direction, you must use either: (1) the designated lane, (2) the lane just to the left of the right-hand lane, or (3) the right-hand traf c lane when use of that lane is permitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2017, 08:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursell View Post
DOT is DOT applys to all 50. I have a class B with air brake.
True but each state has different requirements, here in Iowa I don't have to have a special license to drive a motorhome or pull a fifth wheel, but in California you do.

I have a Class A commercial CDL with Tanker and Doubles/Triples endorsements anyway so I'm pretty much covered for what ever I want to drive.
2015 Harley CVO StreetGlide
Funhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:32 PM   #20

If it helps, I took my Class A years ago here in California. The examiner had me back in to a simulated dock made of traffic cones. I had to put the trailer rear 18" from the final cones. It was like a wall so I could see them clearly in the mirror. He was not concerned whether I was square or not. Other then that the examiner had me stop*at a stop sign on a slight hill and then proceed forward smoothly, yeah back then it was a 14 speed road ranger non-sink clutch. Fun stuff. Recently I inquired about pulling a small fishing boat behind my 5th wheel*I was told I would have to retake all tests and the "Doubles" endorsement test. I'll leave the boat at home.

Tags
class a