Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2016, 04:40 PM   #1

Anyone towing with 2013 Ford Escape 4WD?

We are test driving one this weekend and 95% sure it will work for towing our AFrame.
Everything we've read seems to support towing up to 3500 lbs. camper. Our dry weight is 2100 lbs and we travel light. Found this article too. Anyone have any feedback before we pull the trigger on this Tuesday?
https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2012/03/14/all-new-ford-escape-provides-more-towing-power-than-competition-.html
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:18 PM   #2

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...scape_oct1.pdf

http://www.fordescape.org/forum/towi...ng-report.html

See if you can drive it with the trailer hooked up before you buy.

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC s(sold)
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
2017 F150 Super Crew 3.5eb 5.5
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewoo View Post
Thank you!!! Had read the first link but not the second. Great info!

Yes, we towed it about 30 miles yesterday - dry weight. Up and down some hills and around curves. Seemed to pull just fine. We could see the 4wd kicking in on hills but other than that, didn't notice any sway or over working of the engine. Going to take it in to Ford in the morning and have them run the VIN and tell me exactly what options this thing has on it to be sure it's really what we think it is. Have them give it a once over to check for pre-existing issues then go talk numbers if it all checks out. If they'll put a brake controller and GPS on it, we might just be owners.

2019 Forest River MicroLite 21FBRS
We are 2 new empty nesters who used to back pack and tent camp. Now we are learning to RV!
Follow our adventures at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6r...KCvkpBJyxQMDMA
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:00 PM   #4

Did it end up working for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
RRRCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:48 AM   #5

Why would the 4WD kick in on a hill?
Is this an AWD or Auto-4WD system. I pull 5200 lbs trailer with my AWD Mounty (front axle engages when rears lose traction). I've never had the AWD engage when on the road, except when I take off too hard from a stop when it's wet.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
We are test driving one this weekend and 95% sure it will work for towing our AFrame.
Everything we've read seems to support towing up to 3500 lbs. camper. Our dry weight is 2100 lbs and we travel light. Found this article too. Anyone have any feedback before we pull the trigger on this Tuesday?
https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...petition-.html
Old news since you have already made your decision. You will be borderline to over on frontal surface area and tongue weight on any of the Rockwood A-frames.

Front surface depends on how you measure it. If you measure from ground to roof when folded down, it's typically 5ft, more for a high wall. This gives a front area of 35 sq ft, more than the 30 sq ft Ford rating. But if you subtract the area under the trailer body, you come under the 30 sq ft.

Tongue weights are a similar situation - most of the Rockwood A-frames are in the 320-400lb range if you weigh in camping trim. Tongue weights for the toy hauler and front storage A-frames can be quite a bit higher depending on what is stored there.

Just saying a Rockwood/Flagstaff A-frame behind the Escape probably exceeds Ford's specs. Which is why I recommend the next size up SUV for towing A-frames. Your opinion may differ.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan with E2 600/6000 WDH and anti-sway

My towing weight is 2,730lbs and a tongue weight of 340lbs, but I have since added a second mattress topper on the dinette, and switched to dual 6 volt GC-2 batteries from dual 12V size 24 batteries. This adds almost 100lbs total, and about 40lbs to the tongue. Filling the water tank and water heater adds another 160lbs, but almost no change to tongue weight.
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, ford, towing