Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2022, 04:03 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I'd just move to another state
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Great idea! My next long trip will be our move from SoCal to Boise in Sept!

"If a reputation is like gold, then having integrity is like owning the mine."
John C. Maxwell
rang-a-stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:10 AM   #42
Camping the Natural State

93 non-eth is readily available here.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:25 PM   #43

I have a 2021 explorer patrol vehicle and run E85. It runs like a striped ass ape. Way better than regular gas. Not sure why everyone says the opposite. Unless older vehicles and computers are adjusting accordingly.
Smokewagonokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:44 PM   #44

If you're not 100% sure your engine is built for it, I wouldn't. There were differences in valves and pistons and seals to tolerate the high alcohol. If you burn pistons, valves and screw up every rubber oring or seal, it will get grotesquely expensive and your savings go up in smoke with your engine.
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:48 PM   #45

E85 or Hi octain

i had a argument with my neighbor about octane High test or ethonal
he would wast the money on so called high Octain
i have read several
arguments on this and
there is NO DIFFERANCE NO STRAIN NO BETTER FUEL MILAGE
it's all bull ...
it all so should say right on the tank fuel DOOR
this argument has been up for grabs for yr's
i burn reg cheep a** crap gas i can get..no difference none
if its flex truck then use what you want..
the computers in these trucks and cars do it alllllllll !!!!!!

if you come north NY gas is 460reg and higher disel is 649
if you run ethonal gas in your lawnmower garden tractor chainsaw weed waker
4 wheeler carb sxs carb it will dry up and screw the carb up...
fuel injected seem to handel e85 or ethanol fuel ok ..
any one who buys in to high test your nuts ...

i runn a diesal an i even run 100% vegatable oil
i even get it from kintuckey fried chicken an refine it my self..
i have ran out of diesel and gone to the grocery stor and bought a case of 100 % vegatible oil an ran that....
O and i am a automotive machinest we have built 100, racecar engines
the worst thing you can do to a engine is neglect the engine temp and OIL Changes...keep it cool change the oil .......oil cooler, tran cooler biger the better...
electrick fans....

so go a head shoot me

2000 Dodge Ram 3500 Dully 5.9 Cummins full on customized
2014 Rock Wood 2608ws UL full of customised stuffffffff
2 side kicks Cre & Zoie
Old 05-16-2022, 07:11 PM   #46

Something else to consider

I seem to recall that it is more costly to produce a gallon of E85 than a gallon of E0-10 gasoline. E85 here used to cost normal 85 octane minus 10 per gallon. I.e. if a gallon of E10 gas was $3.00/gal then E85 was $2.90/gal.

They are now the same.

According to the following link back in 2011 it cost 70/gal (of energy equivalence) MORE to produce E85 than E0-10. Sounds like the State of California is using tax payer money to subsidize the cost of E85 to make it more attractive to buy. The transfer of burden to others might be worth considering.

In a country of such energy wealth I am at a loss as to why were turning food into an alternate source of energy. These days I am especially concerned.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...bate/index.htm

I have a lot of faith in the independence of Consumer Reports and have made several purchases based on their studies. Hope this helps.
OngoingFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:23 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang View Post
I have found a bunch of conflicting information on whether the Ford model year 2022 7.3L V-8 will run ethanol or not. The owners manual says that flex fuel vehicles have yellow gas caps but when I brought my VIN to the local Ford dealer, they showed no part number for a fuel cap for my RV at all. They ran the "Oasis report" and it is not clear other than I had no options for flex fuel.

I read a tech article somewhere that said the 7.3 flex fuel PCM uses fuel trim to determine if it is running on 87 octane or E85. Does that mean that the flex fuel capable rig's only difference is a PCM flash? Ford (dealer, techs, and FoMoCo tech line) have all basically said "usually if it was flex fuel it would have a badge and a yellow gas cap". Is the fuel pump the same? Are the injectors the same?

Why would I want to run E85? You lose about 10% MPG you may think. True, but in CA right now 87 octane is $5.50+/gallon and E85 is about $3.29/gallon. By my math, if I lose 10% MPG, it is still significantly cheaper to drive on E85. E85 also burns much cleaner and smoother.

So anyone tried it? Anyone know the difference between a Flex Fuel equipped rig and a non-Flex Fuel rig?
Why not try it if you are so inclined? And then provide your own experience on the matter!
Reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:38 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Camper View Post
Gas cap says E85 no bueno.

Same on my 2021 E-450 SOB class C.
2whlzstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:38 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang View Post
Copy that. But at almost half the cost when filling a 55 gallon tank, I can live with a slight loss of power. Spread that over a 1000 mile road trip at 9-10MPG and the cost savings go through the roof.
Yes - a loss of power but also a huge reduction in MPG will make using the ethanol blend MORE COSTLY than burning real gasoline.
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:17 AM   #50

energy & wealth

In a country of such energy wealth I am at a loss as to why were turning food into an alternate source of energy. These days I am especially concerned.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...bate/index.htm

I have a lot of faith in the independence of Consumer Reports and have made several purchases based on their studies. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

this country has to many genus-is trying to run this country and we keep voting them WHY !!!!
all most every thing in & out side this country is mover by Diesel
1 yet we still heat our homes with oil
2 solor & wind & turbine power has been around since i was a kid BUT Yet
THE Profits of oil remained to the RICK AND WEALTHY.
3 A CENTRY Later we invest in solar & wind
in a parking lot i watched a Gass powered buss sit idel it was a "VALAY" Shuttel from parking lots to the hospital door 100 feet away why not use a electric vehicle
Diesel fuel here is $6.49 a gal gas reg is $4.85 this A** backward policitis is what we vote for funding other country stimulus checks we all got ...it ant free we are still paying for it .. Ukrain Putin discrimination racis radical's .. want a change take back the USA this will probably get pulled .. by forum leader's ... but there is no reasen for this country to keep expecting to pay for every little thing the politishions want to do.. it's like bingo..
watch the movie WHO KILLED THE ELECTRIC CAR....
E85 corn & Vegtables ? ok so we can do @ what cost to the cunsumer
Bio Diesel OK at what cost to the consunmer
oil from kintucky fried Mcdonal wends all food chain have WVO ?
they pay to get rid of why????
thats what that contaner is for out behind these chains..
Ok why
the business that collect's it makes them pay to collect it ...???
then they sell it or process it to make Bio fuel ..
and again its all ass Backwards
we can talk about fuel all day long and still never get any wair in this country...

2000 Dodge Ram 3500 Dully 5.9 Cummins full on customized
2014 Rock Wood 2608Ws UL full of custom work
2 side kick's Cre & Zoie
Old 05-17-2022, 08:45 AM   #51

BOO BOO

I have been raised and live in 'corn country' and it boggles the mind why ethanol was ever envisioned to be used as fuel other than it has put billions into the pockets of the greedy living for profit.

As for going electric, perhaps you are not familiar with the electric 'black outs' experienced in parts of the country. Fact being, the electric grid in America is antiquated to near obsolete and has been for some time. Also, much of the electric power produced in this country is via fossil fuel. Of course, nuclear would be desirable but it's a 'not in my backyard' issue to overcome...and not a technical issue.

Regardless an article the other day stated about 50% of the electric charging stations in the blue states are non-operational and some have cords that will not reach a vehicle.

And electric vehicles are currently unsafe. Electric busses recently caught fire, electric vehicles had caught fire in garages and burned down homes all because the batteries in them has not yet been of a safe design not to mention this high cost and requires mineral imported from China - a country that desired to control the world.

No sir - an electric car that is beyond the economic ability of the vast majority of Americans is NOT the answer when the United States is sitting on the largest oil reserves in the world. Electric vehicles are a dream of some but the batteries perform poorly in cold climates and Li Ion batteries go dead in the cold plus electric cars tend to have a range only 300 miles before having to be charged for hours.

No sir - electric is NOT viable at least not yet.

https://www.westernjournal.com/biden...271db35803e813
Old 05-17-2022, 09:02 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Unless your vehicle is rated for E85 you could do more damage. I do not believe a 10 year old Mercury is flex fuel rated. My dodge Caravan is flex fuel rated. In canada there is only a 25 percent savings in price I lost about 10 percent in milage and found an increase in acceleration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARhappycamper View Post
If it doesn't have the E85 badge, don't do it. It doesn't have the hardware required.
There is a fuel sensor inline that detects what fuel type is used so the computer can adjust timing, injector dwell (thats the duration fuel is injected for rich or lean), as well as adjust the parameters for the knock sensors.

Does E85 have more Octane? Yes, but fewer BTU. Regular unleaded contains 112,114 Btu/gallon. E85 contains 88,258 Btu/gallon. Roughly 30% fewer BTU, hence 30% reduction in fuel economy because it needs to burn 30% more fuel to equal the power output of gasoline. Get 9 MPG with regular gas, and you will be getting 6 MPG with E85. Semi's do better than that these days. Get 12 MPG on 87, and you will get 8.4 on E85. Get 15 MPG on 87, and you will get 10.5 on E85.

BTU is what provides the power to push that piston down on each stroke, so in order for E85 to provide the same amount of BTU to gas, it requires much more fuel.

Many mistake Octane for more power. The only thing Octane provides is slowing down the burn rate. Low octane fuel explodes quickly, which causes knocking and pinging, and hot carbon particles in the cylinder can ignite the fuel well before the plug sparks, causing pre-ignition. High octane prevents this, but also requires a higher compression ratio, and advance ignition timing to make it work properly, which is why in most cars, all it does is waste money.

If an engine is NOT rated to use E85, DO NOT use it! The damage it will cause will far outweigh any proposed "savings" in fuel costs. Because of the amount of fuel required to maintain the power needed, it will cause fuel dilution of the oil which in turn will damage bearings, and in addition Ethanol attracts moisture which will cause further damage to the bottom end where water gets trapped in the oil.

Ford F53 chassis with the 6.8 V10 are NOT flex Fuel compatible. The Current 7.3 F-53 Chassis are also NOT flex fuel compatible.

Only in the F250/F350 are these engines designed to run on E85, and only the Pickup chassis, any other chassis is not Flex Fuel compatible. Use at your own risk.

Don't use, Nascar races with it. Yeah, but the engines are designed to take full advantage of E85 AND they burn a LOT of it!
Old 05-17-2022, 11:37 AM   #53

Alcohol specific engines....

I loved it when they put fuel restrictions Indy cars during our last gas shortage in the 70's when those cars didn't even run gasoline, just pure methanol alcohol. I used to mechanic an Outlaw sprint car in the early 70's using methanol and running 12:1 or 13:1 compression and having around 600 HP out of a 365 Chevy V8.

I would love to build a E-85 specific engine with 12:1 compression proper timing and regearing for the increased torque. An engine built this way would get good mileage and be powerful.

Engines not specifically built for it will waste the fuels ability to produce power. The big thing with alcohol is it's ability to lower combustion temperatures enough that racing classes that could run either gas or alcohol could run smaller radiators with alcohol.

Bronco Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:59 AM   #54

There have been a few who modded a Flex Ecoboost to run E50. 600HP at the wheels, but the amount of work and parts and tuning that went into it was costly. Larger injectors, different fuel pumps, the EB uses a cam driven HP pump along with the lift pump in the tank and the HP pump was starving the engine.

Properly set up, E85 can provide plenty of power, poor fuel economy, but plenty of power, just not in stock engines, even those that adjust for it.
Old 05-17-2022, 01:07 PM   #55

interesting topic.
we plan on hauling our 38 foot toy hauler to Pocono for the races this July from the east coast of Canada where we are paying over 2 dollars a liter today and its supposed to jump another 13 cents tomorrow night.

Diesel is a lot more. so a gallon of Canadian fuel is the liter price X 4.54 for a total.

$11.96 for Diesel

I would be happy with your prices to be honest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gas and diesel.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	273437  
Old 05-17-2022, 05:12 PM   #56

Electric vehicles pollute.

https://www.westernjournal.com/study...271db35803e813

And how about that "green lithium mining" project pollution ?

https://www.westernjournal.com/tesla...271db35803e813
Old 05-17-2022, 08:40 PM   #57

any YOU HAVE TO watch

[QUOTE=Dakota 1120;2736934]BOO BOO
ot reach a vehicle.

who killed the electric Car
you are corect on the greed
i would own a electric car in a hart beat..
i think fires could be a posability but you have to consider the source ...
i worked for the state and we had tons of them ..
the bigest complant was "" WHO EVER DROVE THE ELECTRICE CAR LAST DID NOT PLuGE IT IN"""""" waaa waaa waaa not my job !!! this state is the worst ...
you have to see the movie..
you all have to watch it its total american GREED ...
the Goverment is pickpockiting us every day they spend OUR YOUR'S AND MY MONEY like your X wife runns up your credit card they dont give a ^%^%&^ about this country...
who killed the electric car ..you have to watch it ....
ethanol is fine for cars truck but you can not runn it in lawn mowers weed wackers,chain saw's i dont & will not run in in my 4wheeler ether..
i am north bound an down loaded up an truckin we love to sleep around " Camping"have a good one

2000 Dodge Ram 3500 Dully 5.9 cummins full on customize
2014 RockWood 2608ws UL lots of customizing
2 side kicks Cre & Zoie
Old 05-17-2022, 09:14 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
interesting topic.
we plan on hauling our 38 foot toy hauler to Pocono for the races this July from the east coast of Canada where we are paying over 2 dollars a liter today and its supposed to jump another 13 cents tomorrow night.

Diesel is a lot more. so a gallon of Canadian fuel is the liter price X 4.54 for a total.

$11.96 for Diesel

I would be happy with your prices to be honest.
Are you using imperial gallons???? There are 3.785 liters in a US gallon. That would still be (a very unreasonable) $10.21/gallon, but better nonetheless.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:23 AM   #59

Don't forget the oil companies that are currently posting record profits, even after writing off their losses in Russia that they've been crying about for months.
nights camped 2019: 42. Miles towed: 4500.
2020: 35 2400
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:31 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
Don't forget the oil companies that are currently posting record profits, even after writing off their losses in Russia that they've been crying about for months.
These same companies were taking a shellacking prior too - As much a feast or famine, as anything.
-Demco Air Force One
-Remco 2pc Drive Shaft w/Disconnect
-Blue-Ox Avail Tow Bar and Baseplate
NewToTheForce is online now   Reply With Quote