Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2017, 08:58 PM   #1

Anyone use oil based undercoatings for their trucks like Fluid Film?

I have a 2013 Silverado that I bought last year. After all the salt this winter, I've noticed a good amount of rust forming on the frame, leaf springs, etc.

I'm thinking about buying Fluid Film to spray on it to help protect it, as I plan on keeping this truck for a while.

My neighbor is a body shop guy, and he told me he's seen people use old motor oil, heavy weight oils, and other things with the same effect. However, I'd be worried about those eating rubber stuff like mounts and suspension parts.

Does anyone else use a product like this? Opinions?
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:18 PM   #2

Did fluid film on my truck, my brother's truck, and my dad's truck. I can get into it more when I have a keyboard, but I believe in it.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Did fluid film on my truck, my brother's truck, and my dad's truck. I can get into it more when I have a keyboard, but I believe in it.
So all this spring/summer/fall my dad, brother, and I got "new" 2014 GMCs. We all wanted to do something more than the nothing we did on our old trucks. It's pretty easy to see patterns......rocker panels mostly, above the tires, bottom of the doors.

I did choose fluid film, but there are others. I think the biggest key is something that "wicks" into tight crevasses to displace water. I also think re-application every year is key. I don't think any of the thick/bed liner stuff will work, long term.

I also think you need to put in the effort to apply. We did two trucks and it took *all day*. Remove fender liners, various door trims, rubber plugs, and the like. I got the FF "professional" kit. It came with the gun and the extension hoses. It's pretty easy to decide which to use. It also came with the spray-can attachment, which was surprisingly useful for door interiors and such. On 2014 vintage GMC trucks, we were able to NOT drill any holes. I preferred that, as it wasn't exposing any un-painted edges. (I did have to drill to install my running boards though...).

Just be sure to coat everything. I figure, even if it takes a couple years to get everything coated, that works. Mostly cause you have an 8-10 year window before rust really starts showing.

I have read that various undercoatings will soften the GM frame coating. I just did the frame, too. If the OE coating goes away and is replaced with mine, FINE. I already had various rust spots/issues on the frame (2 year old truck) anyway. Plus, the PO had WELDED the 5th wheel / gooseneck rail brackets to the frame. So that needed special attention anyway.

A large chunk of the faith of this is a from a tractor guy I watch on youtube (Paul Short). He has a 1994 Chevy (my old truck was a 1995). It's RUST FREE, and he's in Canada (I'm in MI). He doesn't exclusively use FF, but to a degree, it's all the same. At least in my mind.

So there you go. My OPINIONS and $0.02. Take it or leave it.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #4

Krown Rust Control, 5730 Wise Ave., St. Louis is where I get my rust proofing done. There are other dealers around the country, however, they are few and far between. Read a bit on the Krown process and you'll find it's very affordable and does a terrific job!

https://www.krown.com/united-states/...ouis/St.Louis/

https://www.krown.com/locations/all/
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:47 PM   #5

fluid film 2013 gmc

we when purchased new put it on lift and completely sprayed under carriage. pulled door plugs, tailgate and rocker panel plugs.even did side steps thru drain holes. inside of frame rails. touchup orly. love the stuff
CHERV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:36 PM   #6

True. A lift is nearly a requirement to do a good job, at least while maintaining sanity.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #7
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

I use Fluid Film on my 2005. I inject every nook and cranny I can and it holds up pretty good. Every oil change or so I hit it with touch ups. I buy the aerosol cans @ Napa. A little pricey @ $9 a can but convenient.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:27 PM   #8

good quality chain saw oil

I have a 2003 Silverado that I bought new and have sprayed the underneath yearly with a good brand of chain saw oil. It stays on quiet nicely. Also spray inside of rocker panels and tailgate. Lots of salt here in Pa. but so far no rust on anything. This also makes it nice when I work on my truck as the bolts come right out. Just keep away from exhaust and wipe it off when done. Let it drip for a couple days and good to go.
joe1141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:27 PM   #9

Huge Krown Fan here!
Brickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
I have a 2013 Silverado that I bought last year. After all the salt this winter, I've noticed a good amount of rust forming on the frame, leaf springs, etc.

I'm thinking about buying Fluid Film to spray on it to help protect it, as I plan on keeping this truck for a while.

My neighbor is a body shop guy, and he told me he's seen people use old motor oil, heavy weight oils, and other things with the same effect. However, I'd be worried about those eating rubber stuff like mounts and suspension parts.

Does anyone else use a product like this? Opinions?
Unfortunately, this is something which should have been done before winter in your area. It's a very common practice for those of us who live in a cold environment where there is definitely going to be a lot of road salt used to fight snow and ice.

When I moved up here years ago, I had a '98 Chevy Silverado, lasted quite a few years but I wasn't familiar with spraying the underside each year ~ eventually, the frame broke! Yep, during the winter when the roads are the roughest. Replaced it with a RAM 1500 is 2013, kept it sprayed every year. Traded that off and went to a RAM 2500 in 2016 and first thing was to have it sprayed.

Have a neighbor who is a mechanic and does the spraying, he still charges but not as high. Uses a combination of used motor oil & 10 weight chain saw oil (what we run for bar oil in the winter months). Raises the vehicle off the ground onto jack stands, spreads a plastic tarp and uses an air supplied sprayer to force the oil mixture into every nook & cranny from the hood/engine compartment to the rear bumper.

I can tell you this, after he's done, the truck drips oil for about a week .. he pulls every plug and if there isn't a plug ~ he drills a hole and then installs a plug afterwards. My vehicles, as long as I remain in this environment, will be undercoated every year before the snow and ice start to fall.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:06 PM   #11

Fluid film doesn't drip. You come to like the odor....
Old 03-11-2017, 10:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1141 View Post
I have a 2003 Silverado that I bought new and have sprayed the underneath yearly with a good brand of chain saw oil. It stays on quiet nicely. Also spray inside of rocker panels and tailgate. Lots of salt here in Pa. but so far no rust on anything. This also makes it nice when I work on my truck as the bolts come right out. Just keep away from exhaust and wipe it off when done. Let it drip for a couple days and good to go.
I'm with you. 90 weight or chainsaw bar oil cut with diesel fuel a bit and sprayed on every fall. I have a 1997 F350 Ford I bought new in 1997 and it has no rust anywhere and I live in salty winter Michigan. Keeps the squeaks down too.

No lift so it's messy to apply (I wear a Tyvek jumpsuit and a resperator and get underneath and blast the chassis and rockers and doors every fall and let it sit somewhere and drip for a while. All my friends want to know my 'secret formula to keep the truck rust free and I point to a jug of 90 weight...

No stinking Fluid Film for this person, 90 weight or bar oil.

I have an air siphon sprayer but I've used my airless as well. The airless is less messy, the siphon sprayer is quicker.

Do my farm equipment the same way. Keeps it looking sharp all the time.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Fluid film doesn't drip. You come to like the odor....
No way to get used to the smell and we don't drip, we mark our territory (similar to some brands of motorcycles ~ LOL!)

First time my neighbor sprayed mine, we had to make a run into town after it sat for about an hour ~ saw all the smoke behind me and thought the motor had blown!
Town is about 20 miles the short way, we took the longggger way to vent things off a bit.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck