Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2018, 07:19 PM   #1
Who Dares, Wins

Anyone using an extended warranty on the TV?

I have about 56k on the truck and are plan is to keep the truck 10 years, looking at a 200k... But anyways being a diesel it may run "forever" but if it does not it can be a good bit of cost. Just wondering if anyone is using an extended warranty to protect against failure..

I briefly looked at Good Sam and they do not cover any of the big stuff on the diesel from what I saw (DEF, DPF, Turbo and etc..). Just curious to your thoughts.

I usually do not subscribe to the extended warranties but if a 2-3k engine repair if it goes out at 150k it might be worth the 1500 warranty to cover breakage. Thanks!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I have about 56k on the truck and are plan is to keep the truck 10 years, looking at a 200k... But anyways being a diesel it may run "forever" but if it does not it can be a good bit of cost. Just wondering if anyone is using an extended warranty to protect against failure..

I briefly looked at Good Sam and they do not cover any of the big stuff on the diesel from what I saw (DEF, DPF, Turbo and etc..). Just curious to your thoughts.

I usually do not subscribe to the extended warranties but if a 2-3k engine repair if it goes out at 150k it might be worth the 1500 warranty to cover breakage. Thanks!
Yes. First one I ever got though. Finance guy said "I am on salary, not commission. But I sit here with my window looking out at service. And I'll tell you that 85% of the problems these new fancy trucks have, is some kind of sensor or electric thingamabob." So, I bought a 7 year extended warranty. It's just in my payment. I have already experienced temporary, odd, rare/occasional displays on the DIC.......that GMC says mean nothing. But.........who knows.

Unless my memory is bad (LOL), it's this one:

https://www.ally.com/vehicleone/service-contracts/

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:30 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Yes. First one I ever got though. Finance guy said "I am on salary, not commission. But I sit here with my window looking out at service. And I'll tell you that 85% of the problems these new fancy trucks have, is some kind of sensor or electric thingamabob." So, I bought a 7 year extended warranty. It's just in my payment. I have already experienced temporary, odd, rare/occasional displays on the DIC.......that GMC says mean nothing. But.........who knows.

Unless my memory is bad (LOL), it's this one:

https://www.ally.com/vehicleone/service-contracts/
I have considered a GM warranty as well, just have not looked into it yet. It was a sitting at dinner thought...

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 01-24-2018, 08:09 PM   #4

I don't have a truck - but an SUV tow vehicle - I got the manufacturer lifetime warranty (life time defined as value of repair does not exceed value of vehicle) - got it only because of all the electronic gizmos and doodads that come on the car now - and it was a first year redesign so something was bound to go bad. it covers just about everything except tires, batteries and routine maintenance. Have had three claims so far in 100,000 miles and 6 years I have had it - two for front shocks and one just two weeks ago for the transfer case on the all wheel drive.
(almost had a claim for the fuel pump relay issue in the Totally Integrated Power Module - but that ended up being a recall item).

Not sure if I am close to breaking even - but with all the traveling we do, knowing that I can go to any dealer for a repair and it only costing me a 100 dollar deductible is a nice comfort thing.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:26 PM   #5
Site Team

I bought a used F150 and bought the factory extended warranty.

I would NEVER buy a 3rd party extended warranty.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:01 PM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

Yeah I kinda agree with you there. But I keep an open mind.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 01-24-2018, 10:12 PM   #7

Anyone using an extended warranty on the TV?

I have a Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4 and they offered a factory extended warranty for lifetime as long the repairs don’t exceed the over all value. I never buy extended warranties on my vehicles except this one was appealing only to me because it also came with unlimited oil changes as long as I own the vehicle.

So I did simple math. If a oil change costs around let’s say $80 and I did 1 a year for 10 years it was worth it for the $1600 or so I paid for the warranty.
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:58 PM   #8

When we bought our 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel, we knew we were going to keep it a long time. We still have it. We bought the factory extended 7-year warranty, and it has more than paid for itself. The issues we have dealt with include a complete failure of the software in the Engine Control Module while we were camping in remote South-Central Colorado. I was able to contact On-Star, and they were able to diagnose the problem over the phone hookup. They dispatched the nearest tow truck from 56 miles away and towed our truck to the nearest Chevy dealership only 28 miles away. By 10:30 the next morning we were good to go.

Couple of other warranty issues involved the failure of a fuel pressure sensing unit in the fuel injection system, and resulting tow to our local dealer; and a failed glow-plug that required no towing. We'll probably keep the truck at least another 5 years or more.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:06 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

X2.
Third party warranties can be (and are) a hassle.

Once you decide you are interested in an extended warranty (and really, only you can decide this) go with a FACTORY backed warranty.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:17 PM   #10

No. Of course our 2007 Duramax LBZ was before DEF/DPF and all those pesky sensors. So we took a calculated risk that any expensive failure would probably show up before the factory warranty was up. And we gambled correctly, as we have not had one problem beyond normal maintenance.

If I was to buy a new Duramax I would still not buy an extended warranty as the GM warranty has improved in regards to the emissions parts. Also, if I did have uncovered emissions type problems, I would buy a delete kit and be done with it.

Good luck with your choice!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:30 PM   #11

I don’t buy an extended warranty for the same reason they want to sell me on. The odds are I won’t need it. They hate to here me say that. I spent two hours one time with a finance person trying to sell me a lot of stuff I didn’t need. He even went as far as to tell me his family depends on him selling the extras.

When I purchase a vehicle now I tell them up front if I have to spend more than the required time to do the paperwork I will walk out of the deal.
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:55 PM   #12

I brought a extended warranty from the dealer, 800 bucks and it more than paid for itself.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:41 PM   #13
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
No. Of course our 2007 Duramax LBZ was before DEF/DPF and all those pesky sensors. So we took a calculated risk that any expensive failure would probably show up before the factory warranty was up. And we gambled correctly, as we have not had one problem beyond normal maintenance.

If I was to buy a new Duramax I would still not buy an extended warranty as the GM warranty has improved in regards to the emissions parts. Also, if I did have uncovered emissions type problems, I would buy a delete kit and be done with it.

Good luck with your choice!
Delete kit is a no go in PA.

I might give the dealer a call and give it a whirl.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 01-25-2018, 08:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Delete kit is a no go in PA.

I might give the dealer a call and give it a whirl.
I hear ya. I would also ask about specific time limits of the different systems warranties. I had read that GM extended the period for all emissions devices beyond what was in owners manuals. Just don't remember the years.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:40 PM   #15
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I hear ya. I would also ask about specific time limits of the different systems warranties. I had read that GM extended the period for all emissions devices beyond what was in owners manuals. Just don't remember the years.
I believe I am covered to 100k, but not sure if they cover beyond that.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 01-26-2018, 07:52 AM   #16

If someone really pushes to sell me the extended warranty I always think maybe I shouldn't buy because they must be selling junk. Either that or they are making a lot of money off it.
Go UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:13 AM   #17

The DEF systems have been giving the car companies fits.

We bought the factory extended warranty on our Ram. Because there is almost no repair that would not exceede the cost of it.

In the past we have never used a factory warrantee! I just had a feeling this time.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:31 AM   #18

I had a Zurich extended warranty on a couple vehicles and got a few things fixed without a hassle. $50 deductible, done.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:00 AM   #19

I am my own warranty station. I have had my 2008 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 6.7L Cummins with the 68RFE auto transmission, since I bought the truck new in Nov 2007. I now have 113,000 miles on the OD and my operating cost for maintenance repair is $0.11 a mile. The truck is now 10 years old and is in excellent condition. I do my own maintenance that way I know what oils and filters are being used along with what has been greased.

I will never let a dealer change my engine oil as they tend to overfill the Cummins diesel engine with oil and use the cheapest oil filters on the market.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:13 PM   #20
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
The DEF systems have been giving the car companies fits.

We bought the factory extended warranty on our Ram. Because there is almost no repair that would not exceede the cost of it.

In the past we have never used a factory warrantee! I just had a feeling this time.
That is why I considered the warranty.. If the diesel has an issue it will be pricey.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB

Tags
warranty