Old 01-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET.LEO View Post
Ethanol will attract and hold moisture. "Heet" Stabil, Seafoam are all good additives to keep fuel lines dry.
Why add even more alcohol when the ethanol fuel already has plenty of alcohol in it already to absorb any tiny amount of moisture?

Quote:
It's a top tier gas with extra nitrogen.
Nitrogen does exactly what for your engine? the 70% nitrogen in the air already isn't enough? LOL...marketing crap!
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:45 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Why add even more alcohol when the ethanol fuel already has plenty of alcohol in it already to absorb any tiny amount of moisture?

Nitrogen does exactly what for your engine? the 70% nitrogen in the air already isn't enough? LOL...marketing crap!
The liquid nitrogen is added to the detergent used in the formulation of the fuel, not the nitrogen that we breathe in the air which is actually 78.09 percent. Ethanol actually hold moisture in suspension which causes corrosion.
The alcohol used in fuel line additives is actually isopropyl alcohol and methanol not ethanol. Ethanol is a product of fermitation and distillation where isopropyl is a product of a bacterium.
Methanol is also commonly used in semi truck trailers, poured in the gladhands and then charged through the system by applying the trailers brakes
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:07 PM   #143

Isopropyl or ethanol does the EXACT same thing when absorbing water

Was kinda kidding about the nitrogen. It is just a marketing ploy though. Pretty hilarious though that people take it seriously. It's just a name and has nothing to do with liquid nitrogen.
Quote:
The liquid nitrogen is added to the detergent used in the formulation of the fuel, not the nitrogen that we breathe in the air which is actually 78.09 percent. Ethanol actually hold moisture in suspension which causes corrosion.
The alcohol used in fuel line additives is actually isopropyl alcohol and methanol not ethanol. Ethanol is a product of fermitation and distillation where isopropyl is a product of a bacterium.
Methanol is also commonly used in semi truck trailers, poured in the gladhands and then charged through the system by applying the trailers brakes
Old 01-12-2020, 08:39 PM   #144

I have a friend who is a chemical engineer for Chevron. He buys where gasoline is the cheapest. According to him, you could have Chevron fuel anywhere. The large corporate stations just add their additive package. I just called him to ask him about liquid nitrogen. He laughed. He said nitrogen is so inert it couldn't possibly do anything.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:41 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I have a friend who is a chemical engineer for Chevron. He buys where gasoline is the cheapest. According to him, you could have Chevron fuel anywhere. The large corporate stations just add their additive package. I just called him to ask him about liquid nitrogen. He laughed. He said nitrogen is so inert it couldn't possibly do anything.
If he is buying gas where it's the cheapest he is undoubtedly buying low tier fuel. Kind of funny that a guy who helps develop a better fuel that contains Techron which uses PEA as a detergent doesn't buy his own brand. Doesn't say much for the Techron in higher grade Chevron fuel. PEA is also used in Gumout.
"The large corporate stations just add their additive package"
I have never seen a gas station add additives to their tanks when they're being filled by transports.
A Chevron Chemist is going to laugh at Shell products as a Shell Chemist will laugh at Chevron products.
I use to have a Toyota T-100 that at 265,000 miles was having injector issues. I tried a bottle of Chevron fuel injector cleaner without success. A tank later I added Seafoam.............. took care of the injectors, truck ran like new again.
From personal experience my small engine guy has always recommended Shell with Nitro. When I check plugs they're clean. When I put equipment away for the season it's a full tank with some Seafoam for extra protection. When the new season starts........so will my engines.
Boils down to like arguments: Ford vs G.M. vs Dodge
It's my personal opinion; although it may not be cost effective short term but in the long term I think it pays. I have always been a stickler for PM.
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:59 AM   #146

Quote:
A tank later I added Seafoam.............. took care of the injectors, truck ran like new again.
Seafoam, according to their their MSDS, is a combo of oil, naptha and isopropyl alcohol....that's it. Over half of it is oil. Worst thing you can do is put oil in fuel in a vehicle that has O2 sensors.

BTW...he laughed at the liquid nitrogen comment! Show in any link where you read that they use liquid nitrogen.

Tags
fuel