Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2014, 10:28 PM   #1

Armada Tow Question

We have a Ram 2500 crew cab to tow our Tracer 3150 but I am also thinking of getting an Armada, Yukon XL, or Suburban (to replace my wife's van) so that our family of 5 and 1 dog can travel more comfortably. Obviously the 3/4 ton SUVs are more capable, but the Armada is an interesting choice. My biggest concern with the Armada is the shorter wheel base & smaller brakes that tend to overheat.

For those that tow with the Armada, have you traveled in any mountain regions? If so, did you feel you had enough stopping power?
The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rhino View Post
My biggest concern with the Armada is the shorter wheel base & smaller brakes that tend to overheat.

For those that tow with the Armada, have you traveled in any mountain regions? If so, did you feel you had enough stopping power?
Just an opinion, I would never purchase a vehicle that had known brake overheating problems. However, I live in UT, and play a lot in WY/ID/MT/CO and that means high mountain passes. Normal driving downhill is not a problem for the brakes if gearing down; but in case of an emergency stop I sure want the best brakes possible on the TV and the trailer.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

IMHO, that Tracer is too much trailer for an Armada in several different areas.

That is a 34' trailer hooked up to a vehicle with a 123" wheelbase.

That trailer is going to have somewhere around a 1000 lb. tongue weight, which might push the Armada over the GVWR after adding passengers and camping gear.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
fx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Just an opinion, I would never purchase a vehicle that had known brake overheating problems. However, I live in UT, and play a lot in WY/ID/MT/CO and that means high mountain passes. Normal driving downhill is not a problem for the brakes if gearing down; but in case of an emergency stop I sure want the best brakes possible on the TV and the trailer.
IIRC that was 2004/2005 models (along with the Titans) and was corrected after that.
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx2 View Post
IIRC that was 2004/2005 models (along with the Titans) and was corrected after that.
Just replying to what the OP stated about bad brakes ("smaller brakes that tend to overheat"). Personally, I have no knowledge about any Toyota product.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 05-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Just replying to what the OP stated about bad brakes ("smaller brakes that tend to overheat"). Personally, I have no knowledge about any Toyota product.
Clearly, since the Armada is made by Nissan.
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kf4mnc View Post
Clearly, since the Armada is made by Nissan.
Oops. I made a mistake so clearly I don't know a damn thing about any Nissan or Toyota trucks; and glad to admit to that.

I could really care less.
Have a great day....

Old 05-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Oops. I made a mistake so clearly I don't know a damn thing about any Nissan or Toyota trucks; and glad to admit to that.

I could really care less.
Have a great day....
Relax, I was just teasing you.
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #9

A warning with the Armada... The SV trim level is only rated for 6500 tow. You must move up to the SE or Platinum levels to get the 9,000. I learned the hard way (even after reading the owners manual AND calling Nissan directly).
My TT is a 24'er at +-4300lbs... Towed it well. Engine was no problem. However, even with the tow package, I had some issues with the tranny heating up. It also chewed through rotors like nothing else (another issue I read about afte-the-fact) so I'm not sure the brake thing has been worked out.
I recently traded my Armada for a Tundra (that one IS a Toyota, lol).
Old 05-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #10
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rhino View Post
We have a Ram 2500 crew cab to tow our Tracer 3150 but I am also thinking of getting an Armada, Yukon XL, or Suburban (to replace my wife's van) so that our family of 5 and 1 dog can travel more comfortably. Obviously the 3/4 ton SUVs are more capable, but the Armada is an interesting choice. My biggest concern with the Armada is the shorter wheel base & smaller brakes that tend to overheat.

I guess I have to ask ... What do you classify as "mountain regions"? You talking eastern mountains or western mountains?

I live in Western Maryland. To go to any of the campgrounds we frequent, we have to go over the mountains of the Northern Appalachians. So far, I have had no problems whatsoever towing my Flagstaff Super Lite 27BESS. I have an Armada SE model with factory tow package. Fully loaded, I would venture a guess that I'm towing about 6,300# with a tongue weight of about 725#. I use an Equal-I-zer WDH and also have Firestone air bags in the rear coils. No problems with the brakes of the Armada nor the tranny.

Biggest problem with the Armada? Gas mileage. Other than that, I couldn't be happier with it.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:01 PM   #11

I have the Titan which in alot of ways is very similar to the Armada. i did a considerable amount of research before buying the Titan. At that time, no major thoughts of towing a TT.

The Titan and Armada originally came out with Pathfinder brakes on them, they finally made a recall and corrected the issue. I have a 2004 and if you look at the service records the original owner went through 3 sets of rotors and pads in 21,000 miles and never towed a thing with it. When I bought the truck, I had no intentions of really owning a travel trailer.

Things changed though when my grandparents sold their Newmar MH. I have an 831RLSS which is a long trailer for the wheelbase. Personally, I have alot of experience towing and I'm comfortable with my setup. Would it tow better with a heavier truck, I'm sure it would but, I'm comfortable with my setup and upgrades that I have made to the Titan.

The best addition I have made was the PowerStop Brake kit for towing. It has heavy duty pads and rotors. It was a night and day difference. If you do go the route of the Armada and decide to tow if you are within the weight ratings, it's a top recommendation of mine no matter what.

The only thing you have to worry about as long as you are within the ratings is the wheelbase, but again for me I am comfortable with it. The truck can still get away from you while towing and has plenty of power. I've had no problems at all. I keep it at 60-62MPH and it moves right along. I have had it up in the Adirondacks even without any problems.

It's best to look at all the real numbers and of course don't listen to the sales person about towing!

Also, X2 on the MPG, I'm getting about 8.5-9mpg towing with the Titan.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:46 PM   #12

Thanks for the info... I also checked-out the Armada forums & it looks like it shares the same concerns as any 1/2 ton TV - gotta watch tongue weight combined with people & gear in the TV as to not overload carrying capacity... Since our 2500 would serve as our main TV for long trips, the Armada would only be for shorter treks when the kids' cousins/friends tag along. It's also nice to have a backup...

I have a CDL & experience hauling heavy loads. Speed kills. The key is to take hills slow up & down & not let those behind you push you to go any faster than you feel safe. When possible I also try to let others around me so they don't get too impatient & take unnecessary risks. However, sometimes there are long stretches without suitable areas to pull-off or let others pass & you just gotta stick to the speeds you feel safe...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote