Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 10:27 PM   #1

Assistance with purchase of motorcycle dollie

I am not even sure of the official name, so I apologize in advance. We have a 2002 Victory, full dresser. We have a class C Forester 3051. What are our options for towing the bike? I have searched the forums and the web and I am completely lost. My husband doesn't mind paying for ease as we are not real mechanical so the less we have to "hook up" the better. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
gandb26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:30 AM   #2

Either on an open trailer or in an enclosed trailer
Foomanchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:05 AM   #3
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Personally I'd go with an enclosed trailer with a ramp door. Towing a trailer is no issue and the bike would be safe from weather and road debris.

Second option (the one I chose) and much cheaper is an open flatbed trailer such as the 5.5x10 wood decked trailer @ Tractor Supply. This size trailer has a well built designed frame and 15" wheels which was important to me. They sometimes have a sale so watch for that. There are smaller ones for less money but I found this size to be the most versatile for bikes and fits my golf car with a rear seat & foot step where an 8 foot long wouldn't. The smaller trailers are flimsy when compared to the 5.5x10 also.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/cat...ailer/trailers

And third option is something like an Idaho Tote or the like. They're expensive but very convenient since there is no worries backing. Unlike a trailer, the platform is rigid side to side and has swivel wheels that turn like casters on a shopping cart.
http://www.idahotote.com/pricing/
There are other companies out there making them for less money too. Try google searching " swivel wheel trailer ". There is also a bunch of YouTube videos on the subject.
Goodluck.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:23 AM   #4

Thank you. Would we need the additional brakes I see people talking about with the Tractor Supply one?
gandb26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:37 AM   #5
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandb26 View Post
Thank you. Would we need the additional brakes I see people talking about with the Tractor Supply one?
Federally, as long as the trailer plus payload (motorcycle) is not over 3,000lbs. brakes on the trailer are NOT required.

Some states add to this. Such as in New Jersey, if the trailer gross weight is 40% or more of the tow vehicle empty weight than the brakes are needed.
Here's a link on each state if you're concerned.
http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #6
Newly Retired

Motorcycle trailer

I have a 6 x 12' enclosed trailer with ramp door that I have hauled motorcycles all over the US, behind a class C RV. Before the first trip I installed brakes on the axle, it was not terribly expensive, however I did the labor and wiring myself. I feel that this modification is well worth while even on a small trailer. When you put nearly a ton of weight inside the trailer, it's a big help. Especially in emergency situations or on long steep grades. Also an enclosed trailer does not push a lot of air since it's behind the RV. You will find the trailer convenient for helmets jackets firewood chairs coolers and lots of other things.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #7

An option, as mentioned above, is a swivel wheel trailer.

I see now they have one that is also can tow a car behind it. Swivel wheel tandem tow. In case you want to take both a car and your bike. I don't know much about it, but check it out.

SWIVELWHEEL-58DW TANDEM TOW DOLLY
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorcycle