Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2023, 05:42 PM   #1
Site Team

Attention motorhome owners with toads

I just bought a new ford ranger 4x4 to replace an old jeep liberty toad.
Have any of you towing rangers bought an aftermarket bumper with D ring holes that you can tow by? Something like this picture?
I'd like to do that and not buy new brackets/base plate. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230130_164112_Chrome.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	283446

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:00 AM   #2

The pic shows what I refer to as recovery shackles. You might want to contact the Mfg and ask if their shackles are designed for highway speed towing. I don't see how these would provide the solid connection needed for towing behind a MH at any speed. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:48 AM   #3

As SeaDog said, contact the manufacturer of the bumper and ask if, through engineering, design, and testing, they “certify” the product for highway speed flat towing. Ask them what specific tow bars the bumper is designed to mate with. Ask what safety backup method they employ to retain the bumper if it separated from the truck frame. I’m guessing it’s a non starter from the get-go because I don’t even see any provisions for attaching safety cables.

Towing vehicles on the highway is no place for experiments or cutting corners. You could damage your vehicle, suffer the loss of your vehicle in a breakaway, or far worse, endanger other people using the highways. Please don’t do it unless the equipment is fully designed and built for the task, and the manufacturer of said equipment would be the first ones to ask.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:34 PM   #4
Site Team

Thanks for suggestions. I haven't bought a bumper yet. I was hoping someone here had already done the research work. Feeling a little lazy I guess. Anyway, I went ahead bought/installed baseplates, so I'm good now.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 01:13 AM   #5

Are you talking using the shackles, or just attaching to the bumper? The shackles would be an awful lot of slop. Kinda like towing with a pintle hook. I don't think those recovery shackles are going to be rated for towing.
-Demco Air Force One
-Remco 2pc Drive Shaft w/Disconnect
-Blue-Ox Avail Tow Bar and Baseplate
NewToTheForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 08:04 AM   #6

Just make extra sure you do the steps on the neutral towing settings on the dash screen. I have heard of some having issues with this and trans burns out. I think I might have read some suspect it may be the battery going dead, but a charge line from coach would fix that problem.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threa...arranty.20379/
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome, toad