Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #1

B&W hitch with bed mat

We are installing our B&W companion hitch and came across the note in the instructions that if using a removable bed mat, you must remove it or cut it to allow base to directly connect with bed. Anyone know why? We really hate to cut the mat or take it out.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #2

Also know that our bed mat is rubber not the plastic drop in shells.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:47 AM   #3

Your hitch needs to mate up with solid surface to surface contact, by installing a hitch through the rubber mat, you make allowances for slippage, the mat will act as a shock absorber or spring allowing the hitch to move, eventually you could see damage and or failure to the bolts as they stress from the movement. As a manufacturer, there is no way they could recommend attaching in a manner that is not 100% secure.

If this causes too much heartburn to see the mat either cut or removed as recommended, then best bet would be to purchase a second rubber mat, one cut to allow the hitch and one to use when the hitch is not installed. Costly, but less than if the bolts fail.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #4

i use the companion hitch on an aluminum flatbed over a bed mat. the square adapter that drops in the goose neck hole has two sets of holes when using with a bed mat you use the lower hole so the adapter sits higher out of the bed allowing you to clamp the companion securely. that is what is stated in the instructions i have and has worked well for me. from the b&w instructions online "

(The RV post has two holes for height adjustment. Do not use the lower hole, unless you have a plastic bed liner that requires it.) "
1JOSHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JOSHL
i use the companion hitch on an aluminum flatbed over a bed mat. the square adapter that drops in the goose neck hole has two sets of holes when using with a bed mat you use the lower hole so the adapter sits higher out of the bed allowing you to clamp the companion securely. that is what is stated in the instructions i have and has worked well for me. from the b&w instructions online "
(The RV post has two holes for height adjustment. Do not use the lower hole, unless you have a plastic bed liner that requires it.) "
Thanks everyone. Appreciate all the feedback. Our model is for the truck bed not the flat bed and I believe our post has just one hole. We did contact B&W directly to inquire about using the rubber mat and they told us it was fine to use it. They suggested after connecting to the trailer for the first time, loosen the bolt on the post to allow the weight of the trailer to further press the hitch down and then retighten all bolts on the post to suggested pressure.

Tags
bed