Old 03-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #1

B&W puck system for GM

I have the nuts as tight as I can get them on my 2020 Silverado but I still get a bump when I take off. I had a B&W on my 2012 Silverado and never had a problem. I just ordered a base unit as I could use the head on my old hitch. I looked at etrailer video to see how to install the hitch and it left out a step. You had to tighten 4 nuts on the base. I did that to the hitch, I even called B&W. Coming home from Myrtle Beach the pin wanted to bump some, not much but more than I was use to with the 2012.
travlinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:40 AM   #2

I have a 2020 Silverado with a B&W Companion on the OEM pucks. I get the same thing, particularly if I have a harder break heading into a stop light and then get going again. I assumed that "bump" was in the pin/jaws itself, not the base, but I haven't checked that (and not sure how I would, I dont think I can convince my wife to lay down in the bed of the truck while I drive around!)
jj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:54 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

The puck tightening nuts have nothing to do with the fitment of the pin to the jaws.

Where is the 'bump' actually coming from?

Keep in mind, not only can there be movement of the pin (in the jaws) because of poor fit where the jaws wrap around the pin but there can be some up and down movement of the pin if the recess is machined wider and the jaws thinner.

Are your jaws worn?
Are you using a teflon slip plate?

B&W hitches are usually very good at capturing the pin with the jaws pretty firmly.

Not my photo... jut an internet snag...
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:28 PM   #4

I'm not the OP, but that's a good question - as I dont know where the "bump" is coming from. Like I said, I assume it is pin/jaw related.

Yes, I am using a teflon plate. I dont have a pic of it, but looks just like the one you posted.

(Side note - I always do the "pull test" after hooking up - my dad learned he wasn't hitched up right the hard way... ugh...)
jj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:19 PM   #5

Puck Attachment

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlinon View Post
I have the nuts as tight as I can get them on my 2020 Silverado but I still get a bump when I take off. I had a B&W on my 2012 Silverado and never had a problem. I just ordered a base unit as I could use the head on my old hitch. I looked at etrailer video to see how to install the hitch and it left out a step. You had to tighten 4 nuts on the base. I did that to the hitch, I even called B&W. Coming home from Myrtle Beach the pin wanted to bump some, not much but more than I was use to with the 2012.
You may want to hookup to camper and put the pin weight on the truck hitch and check the puck hitch levers for tightness to see if hitch base may be out of level with puck system. You may also need to check that the base arms are torqued correctly.
royg6677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by royg6677 View Post
You may want to hookup to camper and put the pin weight on the truck hitch and check the puck hitch levers for tightness to see if hitch base may be out of level with puck system. You may also need to check that the base arms are torqued correctly.
There is no torque number in the directions. I thought of tightening up the nuts as you suggested but there isnít much room under there. Iím thinking of taking my truck with the hitch installed to someone local that installs the hitch. I have pulled the camper with the B&W hitch a lot of places and never had a problem. Iíll see what a dealer says and post what I find out. Itís actually metal to metal so I donít think there is any room left to tighten the nuts anymore
Old 03-11-2020, 03:45 PM   #7

Pivot Arms

Quote:
There is no torque number in the directions. I thought of tightening up the nuts as you suggested but there isnít much room under there. Iím thinking of taking my truck with the hitch installed to someone local that installs the hitch. I have pulled the camper with the B&W hitch a lot of places and never had a problem. Iíll see what a dealer says and post what I find out. Itís actually metal to metal so I donít think there is any room left to tighten the nuts anymore
The part about checking tightness is the Pivot Arms the torque spec on those bolts is 110LB If you go to the B W site you can get instructions look for RVB3710 or RVK3710
Old 03-11-2020, 05:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by royg6677 View Post
The part about checking tightness is the Pivot Arms the torque spec on those bolts is 110LB If you go to the B W site you can get instructions look for RVB3710 or RVK3710
Oh yes I torque those bolts to 110lb. I think the bump is coming from where the pucks attach to the hitch. After I arrived at my destination I went back and reread the instructions, the noise isnít nowhere near as loud and it was and only happens when I take off. I thought about hooking up the camper but there is not a lot of room between the bed of truck and bottom of camper. Plus itís metal to metal, there is no way to torque those nuts. I was told by B&W that it was alright to tighten the nuts but I had to remember to loosen the nuts before I turned the handles or I would strip the handles
Old 03-12-2020, 01:33 PM   #9

I just took the hitch apart and started over. I loosen up the nuts until I could turn the nuts with my fingers, then I made sure the pucks were in place. Then I closed the handles and tighten up the nuts with my fingers. Then I torque the nuts to 110lbs. I installed the cotter keys in all but one but that hole is in a spot that I canít put the cotter key in. I was wondering if I could install a washer on that one so I could get a cotter key in, I can not get the nut any tighter. Anyway Iím taking the camper for a ride tomorrow and see it still bumps. I found a local dealer that installs B&W hitches, they also sells auxiliary fuel tanks that I like at a reasonable price.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:39 PM   #10

B&W Hitch

Quote:
I just took the hitch apart and started over. I loosen up the nuts until I could turn the nuts with my fingers, then I made sure the pucks were in place. Then I closed the handles and tighten up the nuts with my fingers. Then I torque the nuts to 110lbs. I installed the cotter keys in all but one but that hole is in a spot that I canít put the cotter key in. I was wondering if I could install a washer on that one so I could get a cotter key in, I can not get the nut any tighter. Anyway Iím taking the camper for a ride tomorrow and see it still bumps. I found a local dealer that installs B&W hitches, they also sells auxiliary fuel tanks that I like at a reasonable price.
I hope you keep us informed. I have a 2019 GMC Duramax 3500HD CC with a standard bed. I also have a B&W 20K standard hitch with the puck system only towed a couple with out a problem. 5th wheel 12200lb
Old 03-12-2020, 03:51 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

What nuts are you torquing to 110 ft/lbs?

If you tightened the castle nuts on the puck lever arms to 110 ft/lbs you likely caused damage to the puck mounting bolts, the levers or the pucks (in the bed of your truck) themselves.

The only thing you tighten to 110 ft/lbs are the BOLTS that attach the two pivot side plates to the base.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
What nuts are you torquing to 110 ft/lbs?

If you tightened the castle nuts on the puck lever arms to 110 ft/lbs you likely caused damage to the puck mounting bolts, the levers or the pucks (in the bed of your truck) themselves.

The only thing you tighten to 110 ft/lbs are the BOLTS that attach the two pivot side plates to the base.
good to know - i mean the dealer installed mine but i test fit the new 25k hitch when it came in and fit nice and snug without tightening the nuts on the lever arms - im curious whats happening to the OPs ride - 2nd b&w with no issues whatsoever - but id be nervous anout any slop in the hitch.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:47 PM   #13

Hooked up the camper today and took a few miles trip, stopped about ten times and no bumps. B&W hitch working like itís supposed too. Iíll take the camper to dealer that installs B&W next week. Anyway itís good to know the hitch has no bumps