Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
Sorry, old school hot rodder here, "there's no replacement for displacement".
The 5.0 was my first choice till I drove the 3.5 EB. It even has a nice exhaust rumble when you get on it.
heyboom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:20 PM   #22

Towing

You might consider opening up selection to a F-250 gas. Better brakes, suspension, towing comfort. Versus the 3.5 Eco-Boast in my area, about the same price. The 3/4 ton also sets you up for a upgrade down the road w/o replacing the truck. Out of the 2 you noted, I would go w/ the V8, simpler at the cost of milage. My experience is it is less expense down the road.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:30 PM   #23
Scoundrel

I also went from a Nissan Frontier to an F150 V8 to pull my single axle Micro Lite. Since you're buying new, personally I would not consider a 2019 5.0L V8 due to oil consumption issues (TSB 19-2058) from Plasma Transferred Wired Arc cylinder liners. I'm not sure if Ford has addressed this problem for the 2020 model year.

While I love my 2015 F150, if I were buying new (2020) today I would opt for the 3.5EB unless I was certain the TSB mentioned above has been addressed.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24_Byron_fan View Post
On a side note, I also highly recommend the 36 gallon extended range fuel tank and integrated trailer brake controller. Towing life is much easier with those.
IMHO this is not just a side note. The additional fuel will be a God Send when you"hit the road" and are traveling long distances. A 36 gallon tank at 12 MPG = 432 miles max between fuel stops. This is most likely more miles than most like to drive in a day. Potty stops can be on the side of the road in your camper so you dont' lose at least 40 minutes for each stop either.

The additional range will come in very handy and make the longer trips much less stressful because you will not be "hunting fuel" nearly so often. It will also allow you more options so you can select fuel at less expensive locations.

In addition, if you want even more range you can add an Aux fuel tank to the diesel, but it is not legal in all locations to add an aux tank to a gasser.

Id also opt for the larger Eco Boost. If ever you are towing in mountainous country on those long trips that diesel will make for a much easier more relaxed ride.

One last thought, if, when you hit the road if you are considering another/larger camper it would make sense now to buy a truck that would allow you to upgrade to a larger TT or 5er so looking at an F250 or even F350 makes sense now. that way you won't be limited in your choices in camper or have to replace the new truck. Again, IMHO the diesel engine there too.

Just my .02
Old 11-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
I also went from a Nissan Frontier to an F150 V8 to pull my single axle Micro Lite. Since you're buying new, personally I would not consider a 2019 5.0L V8 due to oil consumption issues (TSB 19-2058) from Plasma Transferred Wired Arc cylinder liners. I'm not sure if Ford has addressed this problem for the 2020 model year.

While I love my 2015 F150, if I were buying new (2020) today I would opt for the 3.5EB unless I was certain the TSB mentioned above has been addressed.

TSB 19-2058 has been updated to 19-2133. Reading it, it only mentions the 2018 5.0. Also found SSM-47406 for EB oil consumption. I have heard and from the responses here you can have ECO or Boost but not both.
JPin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:20 PM   #26

From visiting the F150 forums over the years I believe the 2.7EB F150 has a different/lighter duty frame then the 3.5 and V8 F150. GVWR etc. Something to keep in mind.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:42 PM   #27
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyboom1 View Post
The 5.0 was my first choice till I drove the 3.5 EB. It even has a nice exhaust rumble when you get on it.
That could be the fake engine noise. Ford famously runs a fake engine exhaust note through the interior stereo speakers to fool drivers into believing they have a tough sounding engine. No joke. You can turn it off with FORScan.

FORScan can also disable the autostart/stop feature on the F-150s.

Here's a TFLTrucks comparison video -- always at the mercy of what dealers will loan out, so not a true apples-to-apples test (per usual):

Here's a 5.0 vs 3.5 drag race. I'm not sure what this proves, but, umm, it's a video?

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:43 PM   #28

Having owned a F150 with the 5.0 and currently the 3.5 eco. Go with the 3.5. Eco. Great for towing. Also get the extended tank it’s great for long hauls. The new 20s are going to be hitting the lots soon and you should be able to get 5-8k off leftovers.
kurtsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:57 PM   #29

"What? Anything other than a V8 in my full size pickup truck?!?!? Hell no!" I used to be one of those. I was so far in that world that when I purchased a new late 80's Ford F-150 I wasn't even going to have the 5.0 V8. No! Not when you can go as big as possible. I special ordered with the 5.4 V8. I was hot stuff with my 211 HP 5.4 liter V8.

Fast forward to my next F-150 purchase. There was no way I was going to buy anything other than a V8. I drove a 2011 V8. Great truck, great V8 sound. Very good power. The salesman convinced me to take a 2011 ecoboost for a drive. That engine was fantastic. Smooth and great power delivery for a turbo. I bought the ecoboost.

This year I was in the market for another F-150. There was no doubt in my mind that I wanted to buy another 6 cyl ecoboost. The engine in my 2016 is 3.5L as opposed to the 3.7L in the 2011 but either way, it is such a good engine. There is something about the way it delivers power. Nice and smooth but it goes.

There are 2 things about it that helps towing. First, it has higher torque than the V8. Second, it has turbos which force more air in even at higher altitude so you don't experience as much power loss towing in the mountains. My truck also has the max tow option, which I can't recommend enough no mater what size of trailer you have. Let's just say when I am towing through the mountains of Colorado, I'm not holding up traffic.

As for the 2.7? The old man in me comes through a bit. Many people say there is no replacement for displacement. I used to be that way. I have changed a bit. There is no replacement for the power numbers. If they can get that thing to put out 400hp and 500lb ft torque, I'm there. Until then it is the great 3.5 for me.
Towed by 2016 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
Replaced 2011 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
that overheated every time it towed up hill.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:08 PM   #30

Baby Eco-Boost or Should I Have a V8?

Ok all, Ford uses the 3.5 ecoboost motor with the maxtow option for a reason, it will out tow the 2.7 and the 5.0. The V8's torque is way up the rpm line which means it will be downshifting and screaming every time you hit an incline. The 3.5 torque is from 1500 rpm's to 5,000 rpm's in a straight line like a diesel. Torque is what moves you, not HP. Yes, the 5.0 is a fine motor and so is the Hemi in the Ram, but again the Hemi is going to be downshifting to get to the torque to keep it moving uphill, these eco motors pull like no tomorrow, I'm on my 3rd one with no problems after having two trucks with the 5.4 motor I'll stick to the eco. Unless you just like a screaming V8 sound trying to pull your TV I'd would never go with anything but the 3.5.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:25 PM   #31

Happy F150 3.5L MaxTow Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
I know I know...not another "what size truck will I need" thread! Actually, I have done lots of research, much on this invaluable forum, and I've narrowed my decision down to two vehicles so please bear with me.
Backstory first. I have a 2018 Ultra Lite 2104S. My wife and I (and a spoiled rotten German Shepherd) use it primarily for long weekends at nearby campgrounds and state parks, and since we live near the coast it doubles as our hurricane bug-out shelter. It came in really handy for Harvey a couple years ago. Right now I pull it with a 2014 Nissan Frontier that I tweaked up a bit for towing purposes, and I know that's not enough truck. It works decent for our needs now since we keep our trips short and very light, but we will be retiring in a few years and plan on hitting the road for several months and no way will that truck work.
Long story slightly shorter, I'm pretty set on the F-150 and I'm torn between the 2.7L (that's so tiny!) Eco-Boost or the V8 engine option. I wouldn't mind the 3.5L pressurized motor, but I think that's a bit of overkill and more than I'd like to spend right now. The V8 does pull more, but this truck will also be a daily driver so I like the better mileage of the Eco-Boost. I was hoping someone out in FRF land might have some real world experience with this combination and hopefully have some advice to offer. I know there are other options and I haven't completely ruled them out, but I have a connection with a nearby Ford dealership that I'd like to take advantage of so I'm leaning towards the blue oval.
I belong to a lot of forums and this by far is my favorite, I'd really appreciate any input towards making this decision, thanks in advance for any advice and happy camping!
Bought a used 2013 F150 with 3.5 Liter and MaxTow Package a year ago this week for our 30' Rockwood 2604ws. We were fortunate to find one with 14K miles for 27K--we've already put over 18K miles on it. Our previous tow vehicle was a 2003 Ford Expedition with a V8--not nearly enough to tow our loaded 7000+ lb trailer! We barely made the eastward climb on I-70 toward the Eisenhower Tunnel last year Anxious to try out the F150 on our next trip out that way. Can't claim 12 mpg towing, but easily average over 10 mpg. When not towing, get 20+ mpg long distance.

What I love about the F150 includes: great acceleration; ease of climbing hills and merging onto Interstate highways; 36 gallon tank that reduces number of fuel stops (we now use that time saved stopping for fuel for potty stops at nice rest stops).
You might want to view this YouTube video testing the 3.5L in Colorado: Another of his videos shows the difference between a 2017 stock F150 Ecoboost and a tuned version. He has other videos where he tests more recent models as well.

Bottom line: I think the F150 equipped like ours would serve you well even if you do switch to a somewhat heavier trailer down the road.

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. . .I guess."
Red Green
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
rockfossilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #32

Smile

[QUOTE=24_Byron_fan;2217147]I have a heavier RV than you and I went with the 2018 F150 Extended Cab with the 3.5L Eco-Boost. I have a lot of good things to say about this engine. The pulling power vs the V8 in my old F150 (1998 model year) is lightyears better. With my truck's payload capacity about 350 pounds under limit and pulling 7,000lb trailer I may only get about 12mpg when towing but the power is there. I can get up to highway speed without batting an eye or making the engine sounds like its a runner sprinting at the end of a race. Now when I'm not towing I'm usually traveling 102 miles for my daily commute at 55mph. Then I average about 27mpg. In my mind, that engine is worth the slightly higher price. At 70mph I average about 23mpg. On a side note, I also highly recommend the 36 gallon extended range fuel tank and integrated trailer brake controller. Towing life is much easier with those. Plus getting just a little over 900 miles out of tank before filling up when doing daily driving is a big plus.

BIG X2
Old 11-07-2019, 05:30 PM   #33

Quote:
The 3.5L is a hot seller here so price is on a premium compared to the 2.7L and V8. The little EB goes for about the same as a similarity equipped V8, the 3.5L averages a grand or 2 higher.
Thanks for everyone leaving input, I have to make up my mind eventually here.

I'm going through the same decision process..My brother-in-law just switched from a V-8 F-150 to the 3.5L. He says it's a great improvement, but who knows whether you can believe your brother-in-law??
jjuscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:07 PM   #34

Turbocharged engines will run rich when on the boost to protect the engine..I'm partial to that cool sounding Coyote V8 in the F150.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:42 PM   #35

Wow, I knew there was a reason why I like this forum so much, you folks are the best!
It looks like I'll be biting the financial bullet and start shopping for a 3.5EB. While the numbers initially worked with my small trailer and the 2.7L, I have to remember that the DW will be joining me on this adventure. At the risk of sounding sexist, ladies generally need their...accessories, and she's no exception. All that stuff will add up quickly weight-wise, her Nimitz-class sewing machine alone takes both hands to lift, so I'll clearly need more truck.
Our future plans make upgrading to a larger trailer highly unlikely, otherwise I would definitely go for the F-250 (diesel of course).
The V8 costs less up front, but the 3.5's better MPG and likely higher resale value (I will be probably selling the truck in about 5 years) makes the initial hit worthwhile. Looks like that's my best bet so far.
Again, you all were a big help as always, I truly appreciate the many responses!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:15 AM   #36

Eco-Boost 3.5

...We have a 2018 F150 3.5 Eco w/max tow and the 36 gallon gas tank (which is a must have). We pull a 2020 Rockwood Roo 21SS... which is like a pulling a giant (6450 lb) bill board.

We just did a cross country trip... From California to New York (about 3100 miles). We drove at 62-65mph on the flats and up ANY hill. This truck/engine has tons of power... It's a towing beast.

Overall we averaged 9.8 mpg. Best tank was 11.4mpg... Worst tank was 8.2mpg. And as a daily drive we are getting 21.3mpg.

AND then we did a trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway.. got 10.7 mpg. Probably was better due to 45 mph speed limit.

I would highly recommend this for towing anything up to about 8500-9000lb (max towing is 13,200lb).

As a side note: A good friend of mine bought the same truck (we bought/order them at about the same time) except he got the 5.0 V8. He got one of the oil burners/users... Still hassling with Ford about replacing the engine or ?.
MikeT5200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:11 PM   #37

i have pulled my TT over 16,000 miles in the last year and a half. I have pulled over 8 11,000 ft passes and have never run out of power. I have gone past many V8's on the way up the passes and can hear them screaming at high RPM's. I was usually in 5th gear (I have a 6 speed) turning under 2000 RPM's and enjoying thee nice stress free ride.
I currently have 185,000 miles on the truck. I did have to replace the cam chain adjusters and all associated parts to the tune of $2000 but I plan on keeping the truck. My next truck will also be a 3.5 EB.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:30 PM   #38

Quote:
Wow, I knew there was a reason why I like this forum so much, you folks are the best!
It looks like I'll be biting the financial bullet and start shopping for a 3.5EB. While the numbers initially worked with my small trailer and the 2.7L, I have to remember that the DW will be joining me on this adventure. At the risk of sounding sexist, ladies generally need their...accessories, and she's no exception. All that stuff will add up quickly weight-wise, her Nimitz-class sewing machine alone takes both hands to lift, so I'll clearly need more truck.
Our future plans make upgrading to a larger trailer highly unlikely, otherwise I would definitely go for the F-250 (diesel of course).
The V8 costs less up front, but the 3.5's better MPG and likely higher resale value (I will be probably selling the truck in about 5 years) makes the initial hit worthwhile. Looks like that's my best bet so far.
Again, you all were a big help as always, I truly appreciate the many responses!
Sounds like you've done your research and made the right decision! Don't worry about a 250/2500 diesel til you need it. Good luck, and let us know by posting pics!
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:05 PM   #39

If only I'd seen all of these responses back in April when I bought a new truck!!! I was in the same quandry as you. I pull a 27' TT that is 5600 dry. Let's call it an easy 6500# trailer. I had a 2012 F150 with the 5.0. I bought the V8 at the time because the EB was brand new and I was afraid it might have issues. I put a 110k on the 2012 and it did great until I had transmission issues (fixed under a TSB a few weeks before I traded it in). In April, I decided I wanted as much towing capability as possible. I ended up going with the 3.5 EB. I had driven the 2.7 for a week or two when I got one as a loaner. GREAT ride with some pep for a daily driver. I never towed with it and imagine it would be lacking.

But that 3.5... WOW. I had a bit of that old-timer mentality and thought you needed a bigger engine. Nope. The numbers are not there. In June, 6 weeks after taking delivery, we went from Michigan>New Mexico>Grand Canyon>Zion Canyon>Bryce Canyon>Colorado>Michigan. I put that thing through its paces and it was amazing. In situations where the V8 would have been screaming in low gear or hunting for the right gear, this 3.5 EB performed with ease. I had to often watch the speedo and dial it back as this thing just wanted to go faster and faster. The best performance was noticeable when going up a hill. It would charge right up without issue whereas the V8 also did fine, but sounded and felt like it was going to explode. The new 10-speed trans is nice, too!

As a daily driver, I get 17-19 in the EB (I have a lead foot and do a lot of city driving). In the 5.0, I was getting 15.

I hate to pile on what everybody is saying, but this 3.5 is the only way to go. And as noted above, get the 36 gallon tank (around here, it seems to be the only one available) and the max tow.

Also, don't mess around wheeling and dealing with salesmen on prices. Get yourself an X plan. It takes all the haggling out of the equation. Ford hands them out like candy. You should be able to go on any forum or street corner and get a PIN number for X plan. Not only does X plan guarantee your price, it guarantees a set commission for the dealer, so you don't have to bargain. Once you get that, make your dealer look for exactly what you want. I am shocked at how any folks I see on here talking about buying X vehicle because it was what the dealer had on their lot. They can and will find you exactly what you want from any dealer with no extra charge. Also, get yourself the PCO. You will be amazed when you start adding up your savings from rebates, PCO, and X plan.

Enjoy!
Old 11-08-2019, 11:25 PM   #40

Looks like the end of the year push is on, I've found a few 3.5s that are going for about the same price as a 2.7 only a few months ago. I'm sure I'll be a lot more comfortable with all that extra power, one thing you can never have too much of is towing capacity. I'm sure the DW will take full advantage of that capability! I just wish the 2104S had a bit more storage space, but I can make it work.
I'll be sure to post a picture or two when I finally pull that trigger. I'm really getting the new truck itch now, can't wait to pick that baby up!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote