Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #1

back up camera

when we bought our camper in Omaha and pulled it 358 miles home it didn't take long for me to start thinking about putting a back up camera on the bumper if our 25ft camper. thought it would come in handy for backing up and interstate driving so I could see people behind me. just want some opinions on this idea.
nducker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #2

"...a back up camera on the bumper of our 25ft camper... for backing up"
Good idea.
"...interstate driving so I could see people behind me."
If I can't see 'em in my mirrors - screw 'em!!
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #3

Check this out:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ply-33506.html

You aren't going to care about looking at people on the interstate. Even if you're a people watcher, with them being in their cars and all, it's just not that interesting.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #4

im not a people watcher, so I can see having it on while on interstate would be pointless. thanks for the link Barry. ill check those out
Old 09-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nducker23 View Post
im not a people watcher, so I can see having it on while on interstate would be pointless. thanks for the link Barry. ill check those out
Methinks Barry was being funny and was joking with you, as you stated you were using it to see people, instead of vehicles.

I have one mounted in my rear window of my trailer. It is VERY useful to have so you can see what is behind you, especially in your blind spots before attempting a lane change, which you will do a lot on interstate.

You have the right idea.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

Methinks Barry was being funny and was joking with you, as you stated you were using it to see people, instead of vehicles.
No, actually. I didn't even see that humorous opportunity. I agree that they're great for backing, but I don't see any value in using it on the interstate. I use my mirrors to judge when I'm clear to change lanes and certainly don't have any blind spots that far back.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #7

X2 Twisty!
Loyal Companion - Lucy our ever vigilant rescue.
libslowmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #8

oh it doesn't bother me humor or not. I was thinking about for the interstate since my pickup doesn't have to mirrors on it yet. I only passed the ocassional truck that wasn't doing 65 anyway.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #9

Has anyone had any experience with using an iTunes app 'a baby monitor' as a back-up camera? Read about this, if you have two i-devices. ...if it sounds too good...
Larry Tiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #10

We have a Peak brand backup camera that is great for keeping an eye on the trailer we're pulling but even when a car is close I can barely see it. It might help if the camera was mounted higher but I have it under the bumper so I can see the trailer tires.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #11

I installed two Boyo license plate bracket cameras - one on my TV and one one my trailer. The one on my TV makes hooking up a lot easier, and the one on the trailer makes lane changes much less nerve racking. I just unplug the power cable and the signal cable from connectors that live under the TV license plate and hook up the cables from the trailer cam, which takes about 5 seconds. I used leftover RG6 coax (from my satellite installation) from the back of the trailer to the connector at the front, along with an F-to-RCA adapter, for signal, I used 18 gauge stranded, sheathed cable to bring 12V to the camera. Some folks tap 12V from tail lights, but I wanted to have power whenever the engine is running without needing to remember to turn the lights on.

We bought an in-dash radio that has GPS and camera capabilities because we didn't want the dashboard clutter that comes from stand-alone units. We've had this setup for about 18 months and love it.
ProjectPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
Take The Road Less Travld

I have a backup camera on my truck I use it mainly to back up the truck onto the tongue of the trailer to hook up. works great for that situation don't think I ever thought about putting one on the back my trailer but it must be nice to people watch
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #13

im sure I can come up with something. nothing a little ingenuity cant handle
Old 09-16-2013, 05:41 AM   #14

I had a backup camera on my last Travel Trailer I used it for backing into camping sites but sometimes i turned it on to see what the traffic behind me was like what I saw cars so close to my bumper before they passed, I saw many fingers from the ones that wouldn't let me in so i cut them off, when I bought the new travel trailer I decided there was nothing back there I needed to see I can use my mirrors to see what I needed and Backing into a site I just get out to see how I'm doing.
I do still have a backup camera on my truck for hitching up and backing up (because with cap and the truck bed loaded with camping gear I can't see someone behind me)

https://www.facebook.com/WestAllisSunshiners
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:18 AM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
I use a peak-------------

I use a Peak rear view camera with a 7" screen. I mounted the camera on the LIC plate bracket, ran the cable to the front of my Rockwood fifth wheel, inside to under the bed. Stuck the transmitter to the inside of the front cap under the bed. I wired the camera B+ to the "clearance" or "running lights" in the front of the RV to the passenger side light. Was easy to access through
the removal of a closet drawer. Works great for shifting lanes or passing of slow moving traffic. I simply turn on the clearance lights for service.
The camera has a type of "FISHEYE LENS" to see good for each side for clearance.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #16

thanks for the imput. might just mount one on top of the camper looking down. and call it good. I don't think it would be worth having on while on the interstate. but it might be handy in a city that I have never been to before
Old 09-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #17

NDucker, et al - Am I missing something? When you are passing on an interstate, how do you know when to pull back into the right lane with just mirrors? I was really insecure before I installed the camera, and left so much room that sometimes impatient drivers would suddenly pass on the right. With the camera at least I know there won't be a collision if I can see the front of the passed vehicle, and can leave a more moderate space to discourage right-lane passing.
ProjectPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #18

well when I was pulling my camper home 358 miles across Nebraska. I thought about the back up camera on the interstate. I only drove about 60-65mph so I didn't really pass anybody except the occasional truck. but I am going to install one. cause you guys would know better then I would.

Tags
back up camera