Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #1

Backup camera system

I have the tin off the back of my 2002 Wildwood 5th wheel, and want to install a backup camera system.
I found a yellow wire that is for a backup light, and it is not used. This yellow wire goes from the wiring connector (truck-to-RV) to the back of the rig. I'm thinking about connecting the camera to this wire, and then connecting it to a switched 12V wire in the truck, so when the rig is connected and the truck is on, the camera has power. This way, the rear view is always on as I drive.
This takes care of power to the camera. Now the question of wired vs. wireless comes up.
There are quite a few examples of wiring a signal wire from the (wired) camera to the monitor, but they all involve work. I figure about 4 hours. It would be far simpler to install a wireless system.
What is unclear to me is how well they work.
Would you spend the 4 hours and go wired, or wireless?
What is the minimum size of monitor you would recommend? (I'm thinking a 7" one that attaches to the rear view mirror.)
Joe
Coloradjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #2

Joe,

I have a 40 foot motorhome and have installed wireless camera at the back. I have tried three types and each required me to route the transmitter into the cabin of the coach in order to receive a good signal. One system boosted 1Km range and the coach walls are fiber glass not metal. I would think the distance from the back of your fifth wheel would be even worse.

When I installed a CCTV system this spring with DVR I went with the hard wire. More time but worth the signal quality.

Seven inch monitor is what you want. Good picture. Nothing smaller.

What I am using with my wireless system is the Randmcnally 7720 as it has a monitor input. Many of the modern GPS systems do.

For my CCTV I picked up a $50 monitor off eBay and it works great.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:04 PM   #3

Thanks. I looked at the Rand McNally GPS and like what I see. Can you tell me if the male and female parts of the cables, monitor, and camera are universal?
Coloradjoe is offline   Reply With Quote